News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Barefooters and GIFNoTs
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »
Ok..read this and how many think he is right or wrong?

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/shag-bag/barefooters-and-gifnots-41042/
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill_McBride

Re: Barefooters and GIFNoTs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 07:48:36 PM »
I'm in favor of everything but the larger cup, and like the idea of faster play.  Affordable would be great as well, thinking Longshadow, Rustic Canyon and Wild Horse model.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »
The ski model works because the sport has never tried to be anything but elitist.  Successful people are not afraid of failing at their hobbies.  When did Charlie get so out of touch that he thought people at a ski resort represented the common man?

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »
I'm in favor of everything but the larger cup, and like the idea of faster play.  Affordable would be great as well, thinking Longshadow, Rustic Canyon and Wild Horse model.
I would echo what Bill said. The idea of a larger cup seems at odds with the tradition and spirit of the game. As far as relaxing some of the rules I think most would agree that there are a bunch that are senseless. I`m also all for cheaper and faster. Of course there is a large segment of the golfing population that would be dead set against any of the changes that Mr. Rymer has put out there and we all know that.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
Next thing you know Charlie will go to Pebble and say every golfer just needs a camera to be happy.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 08:47:09 PM »
I don't know but snow boarding seems tougher but cooler than traditional skiing.  Kinda like being young and strong and playing the tips.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »
Cooler maybe, less expensive yes, but playing the tips is akin to downhill racing.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
I don't know but snow boarding seems tougher but cooler than traditional skiing.  Kinda like being young and strong and playing the tips.

You obviously have never skied at Alta:

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:16:06 PM »

You obviously have never skied at Alta:

or Mad River Glen

Taos opened to boarders a couple of years ago.
really doesn't look that cool.......the sitting down and all
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brian Marion

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 09:17:21 PM »
No to the larger cup.

Compare to street basketball, same hoop, same ball, basically the same rules. Skip the jump ball crap. Play make it take it to speed up play, call your own fouls and move on.

Go tell those guys that street ball ain't real ball..  

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »
Ok..read this and how many think he is right or wrong?

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/shag-bag/barefooters-and-gifnots-41042/

It's pretty simple Mike
Using the ski slope analogy, just make everyone play Rees Jones or Jack Nicklaus courses-If they're able to ski down from the back tees, let them play them (anyone else struggling with the emoticons?)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 09:30:19 PM »
Good on Charlie for trying.  But with my group of athletic but non-golfing friends, the truth is not that they think golf a torture but that they think it a bore.  And strangely, the older they get (into their mid to late 40s now), the more they say that they'll never play golf because it's so boring -- as if they equate it with an old man's game and temperament, and are determined to fight the approaching darkness.  I guess we can't keep speeding up the world decade after decade and through one new technology after another and not expect golf to seem slow and tedious to some people, and maybe even to an increasing number of people.  So - I say: leave the game and the courses alone; let it at least keep its self respect.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:33:11 PM by PPallotta »

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 09:36:39 PM »
Good on Charlie for trying.  But with my group of athletic but non-golfing friends, the truth is not that they think golf a torture but that they think it a bore.  And strangely, the older they get (into their mid to late 40s now), the more they say that they'll never play golf because it's so boring -- as if they equate it with an old man's game and temperament, and are determined to fight the approaching darkness.  I guess we can't keep speeding up the world decade after decade and through one new technology after another and not expect golf to seem slow and tedious to people.  

Peter,
Golf was always for us geeks.
It's only when the golf "boom " hit us and some suddenly decided golf should be cool and the masses gave it a try.
Now we're wondering where they all went and we're left to fill about 5000 more courses than we need-most of them shi$%#y.
Now us geeks can get back at it.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 09:41:41 PM »
Jeff - ha, ha...but you may be exactly right. I just think the pace of the game (and I don't mean the time it takes) is ever more at odds with the pace of the world.

Peter

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 10:15:41 PM »
There are so many similarities between golf and skiing. I try to make it to Beaver Creek Colorado every year. Beaver Creek is kinda like the Cypress of skiing (vail is pebble), their slogan is "Not Exactly Roughing It". Just wrote a blog post the other day about a ski tip that translates great for my players while looping.

Ive been thinking that if my shaping/architecture career never works out, I'd just take my dozer skills to the slopes and run the snowcats. Unfortunately I cant do either at the moment after I skied into a tree 2 weeks ago!

Jason Walker

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »
Why bother with the rules when every casual golfer I know doesn't play by them anyway?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »
Beginner skiers have a good reason not to "tee off from the back tees"...there is a good chance they could suffer great bodily injury or die if they pick a run that they cannot safely navigate.  Double black diamond runs are clearly marked and identified as "For Experts Only" and eve if they weren't, often they are intimidating enough visually that the intermediate or beginner skier would have no desire to go that direction. No such luck in golf...a 25 handicap will not need to be rescued by the ski patrol (course marshall) if he is hacking away from the tips on a difficult course.

Perhaps some course should try ski slope style markers from various tees...double black diamond from the back, all the way up to green squares for the front tees.  And more overt guidance as to what skill level is required for each type of tee, e.g., "For players with handicaps below 3 AND capable of carrying the ball X yards" for a double black diamond tee.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »
Good on Charlie for trying.  But with my group of athletic but non-golfing friends, the truth is not that they think golf a torture but that they think it a bore.  And strangely, the older they get (into their mid to late 40s now), the more they say that they'll never play golf because it's so boring -- as if they equate it with an old man's game and temperament, and are determined to fight the approaching darkness.  I guess we can't keep speeding up the world decade after decade and through one new technology after another and not expect golf to seem slow and tedious to people.  

Peter,
Golf was always for us geeks.
It's only when the golf "boom " hit us and some suddenly decided golf should be cool and the masses gave it a try.
Now we're wondering where they all went and we're left to fill about 5000 more courses than we need-most of them shi$%#y.
Now us geeks can get back at it.

Jeff, are you thinking the shitty ones will just go away?  If only........

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back