News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tom_Doak

Re: Kye Goalby Interview: My Favorite
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 10:02:05 AM »
Yep, that's a good one.  The second-hand account of my associates' abilities was worth way more than anything I can say about them, which is always discounted because they work for me.

It also evened things out after a former associate had done a long interview giving credit to everyone EXCEPT Brian, Brian and Eric, which I couldn't point out at the time.

Brock Lynch

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »
Great Interview and great pictures! Loved Kye's comments on Royal West Norfolk.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 01:27:13 PM by Brock Lynch »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:19:49 PM »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 01:34:28 PM »
wow! How did I miss that one.
Great stuff
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 03:11:03 PM »
He has no idea how inspirational this interview has been for me on the numerous times I’ve read it. He deserves whatever opportunities and accolades that come his way.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 06:50:12 PM »
Joe - if you get a chance, I'd be interested in reading how/why the interview inspires so much you, i.e. what you take out of it from a professional's perspective. I know it can't be just the confirmation that "It does not take a genius to run heavy equipment"  :)

Thanks for the link, Ron. Two words/concepts stand out most of all, i.e. 'Variety' and 'Freedom'.  Yes, Kye uses the first to describe the goal of utilizing/incorporating a dramatic feature in many different ways, and the second to describe the working environment that Tom creates. But it doesn't take a genius to realize that the two are inter-related. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:51:59 PM by Peter Pallotta »

JESII

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
Would love to meet Kye!

Tom Paul mentioned him in a really interesting context (to me at least) about 6, maybe 8 years ago.

I can't remember the reason, but Tom and I were on the 13th hole at Huntingdon Valley. This is a pretty underwhelming hole on a really good course. About 150 - 180 yards over a retention pond. Flynn did a good job with it but you wouldn't mention it in your favorites there.

The left greenside bunker is sort of set into a mound likely created by dredging the pond. The issue is, the flash/face of the bunker doesn't make any impact to the tee. Kye mentioned to Tom (who mentioned to me) that the top line of the bunker very likely went a couple feet higher initially to impart that impact of a large, intimidating bunker guarding the left. this is beneficial, strategically, for those that think that way, because the pond you're hitting across actually runs away from short left to long right.

Such a small thing that seemed to stand out on a first pass is impressive.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 11:11:55 PM »
Joe - if you get a chance, I'd be interested in reading how/why the interview inspires so much you, i.e. what you take out of it from a professional's perspective. I know it can't be just the confirmation that "It does not take a genius to run heavy equipment"  :)

Thanks for the link, Ron. Two words/concepts stand out most of all, i.e. 'Variety' and 'Freedom'.  Yes, Kye uses the first to describe the goal of utilizing/incorporating a dramatic feature in many different ways, and the second to describe the working environment that Tom creates. But it doesn't take a genius to realize that the two are inter-related.

Peter,

Without going back into the interview to gather exact references or wording, the things that inspired me:

His passion for the game. It rekindles my own every time I read of his experiences

His desire to explore his own ideas. I have a strong desire to do the same.

His ability to learn from others, particularly to look at things differently than his own preferences or experiences. I try very hard to do that, recognizing that my own ego is the single biggest roadblock in my journey to know and do more

His sheer number of jobs on world-class sites. If his abilities weren’t up to snuff, he wouldn’t have those opportunities. That compels me to continue, even at 59 y/o, to continue the pursuit of knowledge and experience. The end goal isn’t always about the dirt and grass, however, and Kye mentions the human aspect of it all. Making others better at what they do, while engaging in self-improvement along the way is a satisfying goal.

His ability to remain humble and embedded in humor is a trait I’m drawn to, even if I fail often at both.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Flory

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 12:49:12 AM »
Very good read.  Thank you for pointing it out.  I always love reading interviews of those in the business who are clearly in it for the art.  And it is really refreshing to read about what he sees and appreciates in others. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:50:51 AM by Peter Flory »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 07:55:23 AM »
I only went to one Masters, but we did meet on the 14th green at Augusta National on the Sunday before the Masters. That was a fantastic experience talking about green contours. He's one of the very best in this business. Always has been.
-

Tim Gallant

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 03:24:24 PM »
Ronald,

Thank you for posting this. I hadn't read that before, but loved hearing Kye's thoughts, especially related to the strengths of each of Doak's senior crew members.

One interview that I read a few years back, and gripped me was this one with Tom Paul: [size=78%]https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/tom-paul-april-2012/[/size]

I know he used to post here, and if he's reading this - thank you for sharing that story of Gulph Mills.

Kye Goalby

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 09:56:40 AM »
Thanks for resurrecting that old interview Ron.  I appreciate the compliment .  Go Deacs!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 11:26:40 AM »
The one I did with you, for BuffaloGolfer, is reposted on GolfWRX. It's Kye Goalby week!!

#GoDeacs #GlassOfTheFinest #MotherSoDear

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 08:49:56 AM »
If it's Kye Goalby week, you might enjoy this:

https://feedtheball.com/episode-48-kye-goalby-podcast/

www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 10:59:50 AM »
Thanks for resurrecting that old interview Ron.  I appreciate the compliment .  Go Deacs!

Kye - what was that first course you worked on with your Dad? Was it the Orchards?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 01:40:25 PM »
Great interview.  Love all the detail and insight.  Forrest Richardson and I had the privilege to work with Kye at Mira Vista in CA.  Kye was the primary shaper for the restoration/renovation work we did which included a complete rebuild of all the greens and bunkers,...(the entire golf course).  I loved every minute working with Kye in the field talking through our concepts for each green, the surrounds, all the bunkers,... (sorry Forrest, we tweaked a lot of the formal grading plans ;D )[/size]  but it all came out fantastic.  The best quote was from a former Grounds Chairman of The Olympic Club who emailed us after playing the course and said the greens were quite possibly the best set in the entire Bay area!  This is where shapers need to get more credit as without Kye, they would have never turned out as good as they did.  Same with the bunkers and I am sure Forrest would agree. 

I am just finishing up a renovation project back east and I made it clear to the GM we need to make sure the shaper gets mentioned in any press that comes out about the project.  We have said it on this site many times, the architect gets their name on the design, but the shaper’s name should be there right next to it.  Kye, thanks again for experience to work together.  Wish you all the best!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 03:48:19 PM »

I am just finishing up a renovation project back east and I made it clear to the GM we need to make sure the shaper gets mentioned in any press that comes out about the project.  We have said it on this site many times, the architect gets their name on the design, but the shaper’s name should be there right next to it.  Kye, thanks again for experience to work together.  Wish you all the best!

Be careful what you wish for, there!   ;)

I have been to a few courses now [mostly overseas] where a single shaper was identified as the key guy who would make the whole project shine.  He got more than his share of attention -- but because they had elevated him to a star, they thought that was all they needed, and they didn't provide him any help.  [And either ego got the better of the fellow in question, or he couldn't ask for help because they were paying him so much money.  Anyway, those projects were a shell of what they should have been.]

That's why I have taken to listing ALL of the key people on the crew under the "credits" for each of my projects, as you will see in my routing book, and on my soon-to-be-new web site.  My associates are entirely happy with this, as they remember when they were the guys who did the cool details and didn't get their share of the credit.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
Tom,
I hear you and you are probably right that situations will come up where this could be a challenge.  That said, the old saying “it is amazing what you can accomplish if you don’t care who gets the credit” probably holds true.  I don’t mind giving credit especially where it is due.  It is always a team effort but a good shaper is critical to most projects. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 07:27:24 PM »
  It is always a team effort but a good shaper is critical to most projects.

Yes -- and two or three really good shapers, plus a couple of good finish guys, are critical to great projects.  If you don't trust me on that, you can trust Kye, he would be the first to agree.   ;)

Mark_Fine

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 08:00:53 PM »
Tom,
Totally agree.  As you said, the finishing crew is equally key.  I work with different contractors but I do have my favorites.  I know when certain crews or shapers are on the job it will likely get done right (or very close) the first time.  With the wrong shaper or a poor finishing crew, it can take multiple attempts to get a green or a bunker or the tie-ins the way we want them.  As I said, I really enjoyed working with Kye.  I felt we thought a lot a like.  I do however remember debating with him (wonder if he recalls) about one bunker on the par five 8th hole short of the green.  It was fun to trade perspectives on how we both felt it would influence play.  Kye wasn’t afraid to share his perspective but he was also a good listener.  He knew Forrest and I respected and appreciated his opinion.  Goes back to the team effort concept. No one does this on their own. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back