News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Charlie " Steam Shovel" Banks in NJ
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 11:27:16 AM »
JNC:

You should see what Stephen Kay did with the 17th at Forsgate. Goes a good bit beyond what you see at Hackensack and I say that not as slight to the Oradell-based course - more of plug for what was done at the Monroe Twsp course.

Matt, I was unaware that Kay did the work at Forsgate.

A poor photograph from the tee:

The swale:

From behind the green with the pin set in the small thumbprint in the rear tier:

From the rear of the green with the deflection mounds at the front of the green barely visible:

I found Forsgate to be in fine shape in September - a true treat.

Mike

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:41:51 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe Bausch

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
Another pic of the redan at H'sack from my visit last year:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill Brightly

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 04:21:43 PM »
Joe,

I HATE that picture...makes me want to go dig that bunker deeper to its original depth and get rid of that little monstronsity of bunker in front...Although if you slide the bar to the right you can see a really good kick mound that was rough-height grass 5 years ago...at least we fixed that and brought the green out 10-12 feet, an area that was lost due to shrinkage.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:23:59 PM by Bill Brightly »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 04:24:13 PM »
Joe,

I HATE that picture...makes me want to go dig that bunker deeper to its original depth and get rid of that little monstronsity of bunker in front...

Let me see what an artist's rendering of that might look like....

:)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill Brightly

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 04:28:31 PM »
You can do that? I guarantee I will use it and I refuse to die until this hole is fixed! (Loose the golf cart behind the hole while you are at it...)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
Joe,

I HATE that picture...makes me want to go dig that bunker deeper to its original depth and get rid of that little monstronsity of bunker in front...Although if you slide the bar to the right you can see a really good kick mound that was rough-height grass 5 years ago...at least we fixed that and brought the green out 10-12 feet, an area that was lost due to shrinkage.

Bill,

When is that little bunker coming out? It's so out of place, and I can imagine anyone who would to keep it there.  Despite the look of the bunkering, the 12th plays perfectly.  The fairway cuts around that green are brilliant.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Bill Brightly

Re: Charlie " Steam Shovel" Banks in NJ New
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
Jon,

You are right, the hole "plays" perfectly, it is easily the most interesting green on the course and hitting the green by no means gurantees par. But the trap needs to be deeper and standing on the tee the player must feel somewhat intimidated by the steep grass face, or wooden wall, if you know your history :)  

And while you can't imagine anyone wanting to keep the little bunker...imagine asking a baord for money to re-build a bunker for largely stylistic change in the current economic environment...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:48:10 PM by Bill Brightly »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back