News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Cahill

Whats not to like?
« on: December 13, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »
48 degrees (in Florida) 25 mph wind gusts and an empty Donald Ross course?  This describes the conditions for my round today near Clearwater, FL.  Im in town on buisness and correctly assumed that this kind of weather would keep the locals indoors.  I played Belleview Biltmore- my first time on a Donald Ross course.  It was quite enjoyable (not the least because I was literally the only person on the course- aside from the stray greenskeeper).  True to what I have read about Ross courses, the green complexes were very interesting- with the wind gusting and me missing the greeens, my short game was tested.  I felt the fairway bunkering was intersting and required strategic thinking on all shots.  The course has an "old Florida" welcome feel to it and is a refreshing departure from some of the overheated Dye and Nicklaus layouts one usually finds in these parts.  I loved the weather- as a frequent Bandon flyer, the conditons would have been considered Chamber of Commerce on the Oregon coast.  My kinda day.

My only frustration was the no walking policy.  This is a course that was built in 1925 and is VERY walkable.  I know because I wouldn't take no for an answer with the pro shop staff when they tried to refuse my request to walk.  The guy finally relented and it just made me sigh to think about this all too frequent policy at many courses.  I may understand the riding required when you are on a ridiculous residential course with green and tee areas seperated by neighborhoods - but this course was built before carts and all tees are merely steps from the previous green.  Oh well.  If you are in the area and looking for a nice course for a reasonalbe price- do play Belleview Biltmore. 
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Randy Thompson

Re: Whats not to like?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »
Pretty difficult also for them to say you might slow up play due to walking on a day like today.

Ben Kodadek

Re: Whats not to like?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:27:27 PM »
Ted,

Didn't realize you were still down here on your project.  PM me if you would still like to get out for a round. 

BK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back