News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Cold Weather Tips?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »
Playing in England during the winter isn't too bad and I tend to think of it as my favourite time to play - especially when the temp is is 6 or 7ish (I think of it being too hot for golf at around 23-25ish) and sunny.  A cold day is around 0 (though it is often around 5-10) and if there is a bit of wind about it can feel a bit colder - still it doesn't take much to keep warm. 

walk & carry (if possible) - never ride in the cold unless you have one of these Michigan carts with heaters and plastic covers
turtleneck
wooly jumper
sleeveless water proof top
cap
mitten on non-golf glove hand between shots

Sometimes if the wind is more than 10ish I will add a tee shirt underneath the turtleneck, wear a wooly cap and very, very rarely I will put on my rain bottoms if it is really windy.  The key is really layering because once you get going after a few holes most folks warm up quickly adnd need to dump clothes. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Terry Lavin

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »
Watch the Golf Channel.

Or head to a warmer clime.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
50?  That's about 10C, I reckon.  That's mild.  Cold starts at 4C, which is about 39.  Then the usual walk, skin (under armour), turtle neck, windproof etc. advice is all good.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Chris Buie

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 03:21:27 PM »
I took a minute to look this up.  Getting the right fabrics would be a big part of staying warm.  According to what I looked up the warmest fabric is polypropylene.  Of course, you can get pretty much any clothing you need with that fabric.
I'm feeling pretty good about cool/cold weather golfing after this thread.  It has a measure of importance because we all love to play and knowing how to handle it well will make it a much better experience.  Also one is going to be more inclined to have a go at the links if you know it will be pretty comfortable.  Anything that gets me outside and playing more golf is great in my book.
Like I said before, I found it slightly irritating to keep putting on and taking off overgloves - like 80 times.  So I'll be going with the Wintersof thing.  They actually have enough feel and having warm hands all day will be a pretty big deal for me. I'm generally skeptical about bringing modern, non-traditional elements into this game we play but in this case I'll go with it.  Well, it's more than a game actually - but I'll save that for another thread.
It's amusing to me because I had various people saying I was a fool for going out the other day - it was a lot more below 50 than forecast - in the blustery 30's actually - and I had others saying I was soft for making an issue of dealing with the weather.  But it was good natured ribbing - that how friends are.
Thanks again for your input.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
Walking would be fine, but my cart heater won't fit in my push cart, so get a cover for your cart and a Coleman Golfcat (propane heater that fits in cup holder). Jump out of cart, hit shot, jump back in. Go to Cog Hill where they already have covers on carts, and some of the carts even have heated seat covers -- a true luxury.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 03:31:54 PM »
my advice to you...is to start drinking heavily...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back