News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: There was a cull, some 300 left....
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2010, 04:49:52 PM »
Bill,

Roughly 4,400 privates, 11,500 publics.

The Ekwanoks, Plainfields, WF's etc., of the world want you to use the locker room for shoe changes.   
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2010, 04:58:19 PM »
By the same token, changing your shoes in the carpark is not the done thing at most proper golf clubs in the UK.

It's important to compare like with like. Going by my experiences, the UK vs US comparison posted in this thread is grossly incorrect on both sides of the pond.

and i promised myself I wouldn't get embroiled in this one.

V Interesting use of the word 'proper' there, Scott!
Many UK golfers would argue that a 'proper' golf club is PRECISELY one where you don't have to go into the locker room to put on your shoes. What is WRONG with putting on your shoes in a car park anyway? For the last 100 years or so visiting golfers to St andrews had NO ALTERNATIVE and I'm fairly sure THAT'S a 'proper' golf club...

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Scott Warren

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
I'm not saying it's a good thing, Marty, simple that it's the case.

Is St Andrew's a golf club per se? I know what you mean, but I don't reckon R&A members are changing their shoes while sitting on the boot lip of their Jag!

Again, I don't think one way is right and the other wrong, I simple sought to make the point that both extremes exist on both sides of the pond.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2010, 05:18:25 PM »

Scott

The R&A has a small car park to the Right of the Clubhouse and I have been party many times to seeing shoes changed from the back of a Bentley and other cars (by club members with guests) before walking to the 1st Tee. Ditto from walking off the 18th.

It has never been regarded as extreme, if anything its normal practice in St Andrews or for that matter in most places in Scotland

Melvyn

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »
BTW, the R&A car park, whilst indeed being home to one or two 'luxury' cars, is also frequented by some of the shittiest old jallopies to ever run on Fife's fine highways!
(You don't get mega-rich frittering away the family fortune on unnecesary fripperies such as horseless-carriages, don't you know).

;)
FBD.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »

Marty

I am only reporting on the cars I noticed, although I do agree, but sometimes the value of the cars parker there must get close to a couple of million (one million = 4 Bentleys)

Melvyn

Alex Miller

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »
You know what really has nothing to do with GCA? Where you change your shoes. Can we slap an "OT" on this thing already?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »
Yeah Alex,
like born female, anyone know who this is, congrats to george freeman and the few other threads here that aren't marked OT. Apparently OT is no longer used by many of the remaining members of this group.
I am tired, so tired.

FBD.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2010, 06:51:59 PM »
Duncan,

Changing shoes in the car park is discouraged at many clubs here in the USA.

Bob

Where in the USA?

Our club has never discouraged that, and with on-line tee times, you don't even need to speak with anyone.

Of course, service of all types is available to all those who require it, LOL

Private club management is very difficult in our wacky society, fwiw.

[/quote]William,  Here in the Chicago area it is proper etiquette to change into your shoes at the private clubs in the lockerroom. Not sure that I would change in the lot of any club I am visiting as a guest. Rules of decorum aren't that big a deal-kind of goes along with taking one's hat off while under roof. As they say it is a gentlemens game!
                                                                                  Jack

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2010, 09:49:23 PM »
Summation of this thread....

Tommy's and Shack's sites are looking better and better!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2010, 11:04:35 PM »
Summation of this thread....

Tommy's and Shack's sites are looking better and better!

Jonathan,

Then by all means go there and don't let the door slam you in the back.

At AGNC the local members who have been know to not use the full facilities of the club have been called 'the trunk slammers' with the withering disdain of the the establishment.

Bob

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2010, 03:57:45 AM »

Jonathan

The Topic on this thread is

"There was a cull, some 300 left so why do we still have guys criticising others instead of discussing the topic posted?"

Would you like a crack at answering the question or are you out to prove my point.

That grass is always greener elsewhere, so beware and do have a nice day

Melvyn

Terry Lavin

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »

The Topic on this thread is

"There was a cull, some 300 left so why do we still have guys criticising others instead of discussing the topic posted?"

Would you like a crack at answering the question or are you out to prove my point.

Melvyn

Here's my answer:  Because you're still here.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2010, 11:01:56 AM »
Melvyn,

Man up and name names. Who are ten people you would like culled from the site?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
Melvyn,

Man up and name names. Who are ten people you would like culled from the site?
this could get real interesting! Hope the Beverly contingent doesn't get hit too hard!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »

John

As I have strong feelings towards the game of golf I also have a deep belief in the right of free speech.

AS this is an internet blog site set up to obtain thoughts and opinions on GCA and I presume if possible discuss said opinions, I have to advise that I am not small minded or spiteful enough as many of my attackers to want to remove one of our most precious freedom, even if that clearly is what they happily  seek by my removal.

Who would I vote off this site, the answer is no one. That does not mean I am weak or spineless, far from it as you have seen by my continued resolve to mention carts and distance aids.

Judge me by all mean, laugh at my passion and belief in the game of golf and the self- generated ability and skill that each golfer possess. Make much mischief and amusing if that launches your boat, however to silence a man’s right to declare his opinion on golf, for Christ sake , is just not acceptable in today’s world where we are at war for these exact rights, not forgetting our soldiers are still dying. 

Others can keep asking for my removable, but I will not name one. I leave that pleasure to their fellow countrymen, unless honour has become one of their new virtues and they decide to fall upon their own swards. Me, thinks Hell will freeze over first as honour is not in their remit, it’s only the duty of ordinary mortals to make sacrifices.

Sorry, it’s not the answer you may have hoped for, that decision must rest with Ran.

Melvyn

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »

fall upon their own swards.

;D
and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the quote of the year for a golf course architecture website. Thank you , msr Morrow!

cheers,
FBD.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2010, 03:21:55 PM »
Melvyn,

We are quickly learning that free speech rights can not prevail over an electronic medium such as the internet without causing harm to those freedoms we hold dearer. When man is allowed to be stupid without personal or financial harm all society becomes as stupid as the loudest voice. If you can't bloody a lip you must pull the plug.   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2010, 03:53:24 PM »

fall upon their own swards.

;D
and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the quote of the year for a golf course architecture website. Thank you , msr Morrow!

cheers,
FBD.

Would that be a verdant "sward?"

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2010, 04:00:31 PM »

Marty

Did not think may would notice, thinking it was a spelling mistake - IOU a pint for that one ;D

Melvyn

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »
Melvyn,  Thank you. I was laughing like a drain when I saw this ever so appropriate turn of phrase.

"......fall upon their own swards.".   I do believe that these few words, only slightly modified, will be introduced into the lexicon of all match-play golfers around the world as they go down to their opponents.

"Ach yer a fine opponent but I must fall upon my sward" will most certainly be used by me at each and every opportunity that presents itself.  Rest assured there are plenty of those.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2010, 02:10:08 AM »
I owe Melvyn an apology, he obviously does hold entertainment value for some.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2010, 02:46:02 AM »
JK,

Most of your "some" does seem , for the moment, to be a highly selective group with strong associations, past and present to the Kingdom of Fife! Marty is snowbound so obviously had the time to spot this pearl....I have no such excuse from sweltering Queensland.

Cheers Col
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

TEPaul

« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »
BobH:

Regarding your Post #68, if you can make it you need to come to my golf club---GMGC in Philly. The need to ever open my wallet is not completely non-existent, but it's rare and only ever done spontaneously. A number of the people who work for this club have been there forever and the atmosphere shows it in spades-----eg there are about six there and one in particular with which I (we) have perfected the fine and high art of the excellent insult. It definitely keeps us all laughing and it's just the best!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back