News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

There was a cull, some 300 left....
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:07:59 AM »

so why do we still have guys criticising others instead of discussing the topic posted?

Melvyn

Phil_the_Author

Re: There was a cull, some 300 left....
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 04:59:43 AM »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:06:05 AM »
Philip

You make a fair point, sorry you feel you need to delete your comments.  Perhaps I should have been one of the 300.

Still I stand by my post.

Melvyn

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:22:00 AM »
Melvyn I deleted it almost immediately after posting it because I certainly didn't want this to become an argument. I am glad you read them and will leave it removed. I stand by it as well...

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »
Melvyn, you are a hypocrite...you criticize people for not remembering St ANdrews day , or whatever the hell it is called

you compared me to Hitler on a thread once....anyone who makes such comparisons like that ....I dont know what to say

this latest thread of yours pisses me so much that I bad better stop before my anger really takes hold of me

do most of us a favor and just shut the hell up
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »

Paul T

I would hate to see you suffer any more than you have decided too, but I am concerned about your state of mind and health. You are starting to displaying the signs of a tyrant, you know the type that appeared around 1932. You know the ones who try to intimidate others to comply to their will without even wanting to debate the issue. Keep going and you may get Ran to instigate not just another cull but a concentration camp as well – will that finally satisfy you.

Get a grip man this is an internet blog, you do not have to read anything I post, so the simple fact that you have means that you have set upon making it ugly for your own ends.

Just don’t read my posts.

If in the meantime I can help with any info re Golf from the 19th Century you know how to contact me.

Melvyn

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 10:10:36 AM »

Paul T

I would hate to see you suffer any more than you have decided too, but I am concerned about your state of mind and health. You are starting to displaying the signs of a tyrant, you know the type that appeared around 1932. You know the ones who try to intimidate others to comply to their will without even wanting to debate the issue. Keep going and you may get Ran to instigate not just another cull but a concentration camp as well – will that finally satisfy you.

Get a grip man this is an internet blog, you do not have to read anything I post, so the simple fact that you have means that you have set upon making it ugly for your own ends.

If in the meantime I can help with any info re Golf from the 19th Century you know how to contact me.

Melvyn

i usually dont read your posts since they almsot always contain the same message

this thoughts contained in your last post continue to show the lack of class you have as a human being

i'm done wasting my time with a lowlife like you..continue posting your boring posts for the few on here that may actually care about them

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 10:27:35 AM »
Happy Holidays, everybody!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 10:34:36 AM »

Paul

That is your choice but ultimately its in Ran’s hands.

“Lowlife”, whatever, you have a right to your opinion, but your problem is that you forget that others also are blessed with that same right. How you can call me lowlife when you want to remove my right of opinion on this site. Seems to show you as the hypocrite.

As I mentioned on my last post, If I can help you with anything to do with 19th Century golfing history, you have my contact details. I just ask for a courteous approach in case my family read my incoming post.

Paul, I will continue to express my concern regards the modern game. I see the original foundations crumbling and few seem to care, even fewer on this site which is meant to be about GCA. IF the solid building blocks of our game are unstable we need to discover why and what can be done to resolve the problem. It’s a repetitive frustrating problem but one that must be addressed urgently IMHO.

Melvyn

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
Unstable?

Now there's a diagnosis.   ;D
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Alex Miller

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »

Paul T

Melvyn

Melvyn,

I know you took it to heart when people happened to not post anything regarding St. Andrews day. That was people not posting about a day which has little to do with golf and is connected in name only....

So I hope you realize, though I doubt it, how offensive this previous comment is to someone who has felt the ramifications of concentration camps within their own family. I was not there personally. No, like you I write this in defense of my ancestors, my grandparents who are still alive and well, though some of their immediate family is not due to concentration camps.

Whether you want to compare Ran or Terry to Hitler is none of my business, though I'm sure you'll see some sort of results from doing so. But to trivialize what millions had to go through in order to make a point on here: well, I say to you, "Get a grip man this is an internet blog."

And while I could not read your posts the fact is I clicked on this thread expecting some golf architecture related discussion and read them innocently. So, please, take caution in what you write because what may seem trivial to you may be of vital importance to others. I apologize to everyone for continuing this off topic discussion, but I wanted to say my piece.

Alex
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:56:51 AM by Alex Miller »

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »
And you see nothing wrong with Paul's initial post, Alex?

The overwhelming majority of problems on here involve two parties.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Alex Miller

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 11:16:08 AM »

George, I do, but it seems a whole let less ignorant than Melvyn's. The worst thing Paul says is, "Shut the hell up." While not exemplary it's not quite the same either.

Also, I look for no sympathy from my previous post. I just wanted to make a point and explain why I found it offensive. Nothing more.

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 11:19:52 AM »

maybe if someone compared you to hitler you'd feel differently

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 11:22:53 AM »

Alex

My post on St Andrew Day was an early morning bit of fun. It was posted as Scott mentioned at 1.30 AM and if you read it there was nothing nasty. I asked St Andrews to show “ litter tolerance towards the intolerant on this site” is that not a genuine sign of consideration and friendship.

AS for concentration camps we British use them in The Boer War 1899-1900 and in Malaysia Communist  1947-1950's campaign which is still on records as the only time the communist insertion into the far east was ever beaten. The Concentration Camps kept the people away from the communist so stopped intimidation and the people being forced into fight for the communist for fear of their family being killed.

Yes I accept your reference to WWII and the horrors of that but our Camps where not like that, they just concentrated the people within a safe area.

Tell me why is it when we talk of Slavery and Concentration Camps we only think of Slavery between 1700-1870  and the camps from the 1940’s. Also as for slavery did you know that Scots were sold into slavery after the Jacobite Rebellions of 1715/45 to the West Indies. So I understand what both mean and yes they are close to home.

Life is serious but humour is a big part of it too.

Melvyn   

Michael Dugger

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 11:32:55 AM »
George, you really ought to quit being a Melvyn apologist.  I've always known you to be a really good guy. 

I understand having someone's back for the sake of keeping the peace.  How very France of you...

But once in a while a brawl needs to take place to clean up the riff raff.

Don't make me quote Godfather, here ;)

So, Melvyn, kindly please shut the hell up...
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Alex Miller

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 11:59:29 AM »

Alex

My post on St Andrew Day was an early morning bit of fun. It was posted as Scott mentioned at 1.30 AM and if you read it there was nothing nasty. I asked St Andrews to show “ litter tolerance towards the intolerant on this site” is that not a genuine sign of consideration and friendship.

AS for concentration camps we British use them in The Boer War 1899-1900 and in Malaysia Communist  1947-1950's campaign which is still on records as the only time the communist insertion into the far east was ever beaten. The Concentration Camps kept the people away from the communist so stopped intimidation and the people being forced into fight for the communist for fear of their family being killed.

Yes I accept your reference to WWII and the horrors of that but our Camps where not like that, they just concentrated the people within a safe area.

Tell me why is it when we talk of Slavery and Concentration Camps we only think of Slavery between 1700-1870  and the camps from the 1940’s. Also as for slavery did you know that Scots were sold into slavery after the Jacobite Rebellions of 1715/45 to the West Indies. So I understand what both mean and yes they are close to home.

Life is serious but humour is a big part of it too.

Melvyn   

Melvyn,

I never said your St. Andrews post was nasty, just largely irrelevant. But calling people intolerant is not nice either.

Thank you for enlightening me on the history of concentration camps, I'm ever so grateful.  :-X Instead of talking down to me you should try acknowledging what you wrote like a man. You wrote two sentences before about Hitler, to bring up concentration camps is either such a poor error in judgement I would worry about you crossing the street, or an allusion the concentration camps used by the Nazis in WWII.

Also, no one is talking about slavery. I hope guilt over what you wrote isn't making you rationalize your words. As though a suffering of one's ancestors gives that person the right to talk about or make light of another's.

Forgive me and my poor sense of humor, Alex

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »
Alex,

Don't you know that poor Melvyn is just misunderstood?  You are just the most recent person to misinterpret what he said.  Just so everybody looking can have their recollections properly refreshed, here is Melvyn's Modus Operandi, or MMO for short:

1.  Make a provocative statement that draws fire.
2.  Respond by implying that the offended person isn't worthy in one manner or another.
3.  Get very angry and wonder why only his pets are defending him.
4.  Claim that his statements were just misinterpreted or that those offended "don't read" his posts.
5.  Suggest that he was only joking.
6.  Claim victimhood in some other manner.

Along the way, Melvyn always throws in that he's only here so he can defend the honors and traditions of the game.  He'll not so generously suggest that the rest of us are ignorant and bent on despoiling the game of its history.  He'll generally throw in his relation to Old Tom, Young Tom and just about any other Tom, Dick or Harry that might get him off the hook.

The bottom line is: We're all of us rubes.  None of us has the proper lineage to really understand the game or architecture.  And nobody understands Melvyn.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »
How refreshing!

A near all-out pissing match that doesn't have the names, Macwood, Moriarity, Paul, Cirba and yes, Young associated with it!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »

I again post my original topic, to see if its possible to have a discussion without strings.

"There was a cull, some 300 left so why do we still have guys criticising others instead of discussing the topic posted?"

Melvyn

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 12:52:51 PM »

Alex

AS for concentration camps we British use them in The Boer War 1899-1900 and in Malaysia Communist  1947-1950's campaign which is still on records as the only time the communist insertion into the far east was ever beaten. The Concentration Camps kept the people away from the communist so stopped intimidation and the people being forced into fight for the communist for fear of their family being killed.

Yes I accept your reference to WWII and the horrors of that but our Camps where not like that, they just concentrated the people within a safe area..

Melvyn  

Melvyn,

I have always thought of you as an intelligent agent provocateur, but your statement above about how cosy the Concentration Camps were is absolute balderdash. The official figures post 1904, were that almost thirty thousand Boer women and children died in detention and probably many more that were unaccounted for. The enmity from a goodly number of Afrkaaners toward the English, can still be detected till this day.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:16:12 PM by Bob_Huntley »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »

I again post my original topic, to see if its possible to have a discussion without strings.

"There was a cull, some 300 left so why do we still have guys criticising others instead of discussing the topic posted?"

Melvyn

I can answer this in regards to your threads.

When you start a post it is generally stupid.

So nobody wants to stay on topic, because again, your topics are usually played out, been discussed a 1000 times already, and...well...generally stupid to begin with.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »

Alex

Yes I accept your reference to WWII and the horrors of that but our Camps where not like that, they just concentrated the people within a safe area..

Melvyn   

Melvyn,

I have always thought of you as an intelligent agaent provocateur, but your statement above about how cosy the Concentration Camps were is absolute balderdash. The official figures post 2004, were that almost thirty thousand Boer women and children died in detention and probably many more that were unaccounted for. The enmity from a goodly number of Afrkaaners toward the English, can still be detected till this day.

Bob

Bob, thank you for sprinkling some facts into this discussion. Refreshing, as always.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »

Melvyn

An off topic post about how others are off topic (that isn't even labeled as off topic), and you're wondering why we who dare criticize you haven't been banned?

I'd note further that there's a name of a certain defender of the "realm" missing from the list of contributors to this site.  Not that money should merit membership, but if you added something herein other than blather, repetitive blather and more blather, you might garner some more sympathy.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Terry Lavin

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 12:59:26 PM »

Melvyn

Mr. Victim 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back