GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Devereux Emmet Society

<< < (19/50) > >>

Jim_Kennedy:
I don't know about Emmet's genealogy, but the Devereux name has existed in Ireland since the Normans,  especially in Wexford. 

Tom MacWood:
Jim
The original 9-hole course at Belle Terre was built in 1907 by Alex Findlay, and then at some point in the 20's Emmet expanded it to 18 holes. The club went under during the Depression. In 1955 Alfred Tull designed a new 18-hole course for the new Harbor Hills CC. There was also 9-hole public or semi-public course at Port Jefferson, that is where my father worked. I believe it was called Port Jefferson, and that may be the course Tucker designed in 1912.

You must have different version of C&W because mine has Laurelton, Cable Beach and CC of Santiago (Cuba).

Tom MacWood:

--- Quote from: Jim_Kennedy on November 28, 2010, 12:42:00 PM ---I don't know about Emmet's genealogy, but the Devereux name has existed in Ireland since the Normans,  especially in Wexford. 

--- End quote ---

Jim
I did not realize Devereux was Irish family name. There were several Devereux involved in the insurrection including James Devereux who played a major role. James Devereux and Thomas Addis Emmet (Devereux's great grandfather) were exiled at the same time. I believe James Devereux went to France.

Jim_Kennedy:
TMac,
Here's the article about Tucker at Belleport.
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9A02E1DA1E3CE633A25751C0A9609C946396D6CF

My C&W is from 1984, the 3rd printing. The profile section is botched up in a few places, for instance, Mackenzie's is on pg 193.To find his remodels you have to flip to page 195.  Karl Littens' remodel heading is found under Langford, Maples under Litten's etc.
They really screwed up the L's and the M's in mine.

Tom MacWood:
Jim
My version is the 'Architects of Golf' from 1993.

Golf magazine reported (2/1907) Alex Findlay had laid out a new 9-hole course at Belle Terre. NYTimes reported (7/7/1907) that the course was nearly ready for play and NYT again in 1909 (5/16/1909) reported the course was one of the longest and most picturesque nine-hole courses in the US. It sound like Tucker made some improvements to that course in 1912.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version