GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Devereux Emmet Society

<< < (17/50) > >>

Phil_the_Author:
Jim,

I see you beat me to the photo! Here's some more information on Hillcrest.

From the Brooklyn Daily Eagle of 10/1/1922:

From the Brooklyn Daily Eagle of 4/29/1923:

From the New York Times of 2/3/1928 announcing its sale to Irving Stringer. There is a good chance that Stringer hired Tilly to redesign the course at this time. He had a relationship with him and the article refers to the course as about to be redone. We are researching it right now and when I know more I'll pass it along:

From the New York Times 4/10/1936. As Jim stated the course was lept open into the 1950s when St. Johns found a "better use" for the land:

Jim_Kennedy:
Irving Stringer was the pro at places like Ocean club, St. Andrews, NGLA, plus he had an indoor golf school.

Guy got around.

Jim_Kennedy:
There was a Briar Hall CC in Briarcliff Manor, Ny that shows an Emmet remodel (no date) with a Tillinghast remodel in 1936.

The course was sold to The Donald and is now Trump National GC.

Adam Jessie:
Mr. Kennedy,

I see that Harbor Hills (aka Port Jefferson CC) is missing there is not much Emmet left there but was another design that was orginally done by him.

AJ

Phil_the_Author:
Jim and Mark,

As we know, there are a number of courses that Tilly redesigned that were original Emmett designs. I think it only fitting then that the Huntingtom Crescent Club was built on the site where Tilly's original Lilliputt Links private course on the Rainey estate once stood!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version