GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Devereux Emmet Society

(1/50) > >>

mark chalfant:
I am organizing a Devereux Emmet Society to honor this underappreciated golf course architect. I will be publishing a quarterly newsletter and plans are in the works for a spring meeting to celebrate his work.

TEPaul:
Mark:

BRAVO!

It's about time Devereux Emmet had his own society. There are numerous questions about him, his courses and his work and life and times and to date for those interested in him the only way to find things out has been to contact about 3-4 people who seemed the most familiar with various things about him.

About a year ago I thought I might get pretty lucky in that vein. One of my favorite relations is a wonderful lady whose name today is Daphne Hallowell. I always knew her maiden name was Daphne Emmet but until last year I failed to consider if there was a connection to Devereux Emmet. So last year I asked her and sure enough he was her great-uncle. She said she would contact the person in the extended family she felt was the most likely to know about him and his life to see if any family papers or information existed and she did that but unfortunately it seems to be coming up pretty empty.

Devereux Emmet and his family before, during and after him were pretty prominent however, there is no question of that.

Adam Jessie:
Can I join? Are the dues resonable? This may be something that clubs on Long Island may be interested in. There used to be an Emmet Cup golf tournament between emmet clubs on Long island.  I know there is something set up like this between Raynor / CB Mac clubs around the country.

TEPaul:
Adam:

Whatever the Devereux Emmet Society dues are I hereby guarantee that I will pay yours even if there are different levels and costs! What do you want to be---the president, the vice president, a founding member or an associate member? If you want to be the president then I will just see to it that Mark is the Czar of the Devereux Emmet Society or the Chairman of its Board of Trustees (both or either of which is essentially the Top Banana and all that sort of thing).   ;)

And I hereby designate that the official uniform of the Devereux Emmet Society be a white suit and white shoes and a rakish hat!

Tom MacWood:

--- Quote from: TEPaul on November 20, 2010, 10:47:36 AM ---Mark:

BRAVO!

It's about time Devereux Emmet had his own society. There are numerous questions about him, his courses and his work and life and times and to date for those interested in him the only way to find things out has been to contact about 3-4 people who seemed the most familiar with various things about him.

About a year ago I thought I might get pretty lucky in that vein. One of my favorite relations is a wonderful lady whose name today is Daphne Hallowell. I always knew her maiden name was Daphne Emmet but until last year I failed to consider if there was a connection to Devereux Emmet. So last year I asked her and sure enough he was her great-uncle. She said she would contact the person in the extended family she felt was the most likely to know about him and his life to see if any family papers or information existed and she did that but unfortunately it seems to be coming up pretty empty.

Devereux Emmet and his family before, during and after him were pretty prominent however, there is no question of that.

--- End quote ---

TEP
I had no idea you were such a fan...I recall you regularly besmirching his reputation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version