News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Merry Xmas from The Machrie
« on: December 24, 2022, 10:11:14 AM »

We’re spending Xmas with friends here on Islay. Just back into our delightful lodge after 18 holes on what is a really terrific golf course. The DJ Russell alterations have been a total success. Course has moved up to World #75:

https://www.todays-golfer.com/courses/best/golf-courses-in-the-world-that-you-can-play/75-51/

View of 18 Green from Lodge.

Merry Xmas!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom_Doak

Re: Merry Xmas from The Machrie
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 11:20:40 AM »
World 75*

* This is a ranking of the top 100 courses "that you can play", so, not really comparable with most of the other "world rankings" out there. 

I probably shouldn't quibble with a ranking that has Pacific Dunes "#8 in the world", but it's only that high because Pine Valley, Merion and Sand Hills are not eligible.  That has the advantage of artificially boosting the rankings for pretty much all of the courses listed, so they are now more likely to quote that they are "ranked #8 in the world by Golf World" or whatever.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 11:47:22 AM »
World 75*

* This is a ranking of the top 100 courses "that you can play", so, not really comparable with most of the other "world rankings" out there. 

I probably shouldn't quibble with a ranking that has Pacific Dunes "#8 in the world", but it's only that high because Pine Valley, Merion and Sand Hills are not eligible.  That has the advantage of artificially boosting the rankings for pretty much all of the courses listed, so they are now more likely to quote that they are "ranked #8 in the world by Golf World" or whatever.

Bah, humbug. You’re a mean one, Mr Grinch!  ;)
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 07:23:52 PM »
World 75*

At least you weren't topped by Paige Spiranac in this one.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back