News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith OHalloran

Re: Rivermont CC in Atlanta---A True Hidden Gem
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 10:33:24 PM »
I was lucky enough to play Rivermont this am. This place is the golf nerd's star trek! It is possible that everyone doesn't understand, but the true believers love it. There are great internal green contours, the green speeds were perfect , the bunkers are awesome. If you are fortunate, go play this course, it is great fun.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 11:18:15 PM »
Funny thing about today was as we were walking up 13 fairway, I'm telling Keith all about the severity of the green, the false front...so you can't be short, but if you go long it is a tricky chip shot and/or long putt back towards the hole and false front.  But then he holes out for eagle from 100ish yards!!!!   :o

Who cares about the green...just hole out and you don't have to worry about it!

Fun times, fun course, good company!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

BCrosby

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »
I missed this thread from last year.

Rivermont is an object lesson in how a golf course can move up to another level when you have an owner and an architect who get it. It doesn't require big budgets, big names or big fees.

Bob 

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 08:25:08 AM »
Since I will be unable to make the July Atlanta GCA event, I knew I had to play Rivermont at some point. Mac and I were able to work it out. Wade was able to join, and I was able to talk with Chris as well. This was the thread that brought Rivermont to my attention.
It is a great golf course. Just some great looks to the holes. Very creative greens. Shelves, tiers, punchbowls, Redan, half punchbowls, cross slopes, mounds, subtle mounds, and the (hopefully) soon to be Wade's front porch on #9. I want to go back. I highly recommend it. Thanks guys.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »
Thanks Bruce!  We had a great time...even with the Southern heat and humidity.

"Wade's Front Porch"...I love it. :D

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 05:44:43 PM »
Since I will be unable to make the July Atlanta GCA event, I knew I had to play Rivermont at some point. Mac and I were able to work it out. Wade was able to join, and I was able to talk with Chris as well. This was the thread that brought Rivermont to my attention.
It is a great golf course. Just some great looks to the holes. Very creative greens. Shelves, tiers, punchbowls, Redan, half punchbowls, cross slopes, mounds, subtle mounds, and the (hopefully) soon to be Wade's front porch on #9. I want to go back. I highly recommend it. Thanks guys.

Could not agree more with everything you say.  It has so much architectural  variety, the kinda place you could never get bored of and would always be proud to bring guests to.  If it was closer for me, I would join in a heartbeat.   

Gene Greco

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »
I was lucky enough to play Rivermont this am. This place is the golf nerd's star trek! It is possible that everyone doesn't understand, but the true believers love it. There are great internal green contours, the green speeds were perfect , the bunkers are awesome. If you are fortunate, go play this course, it is great fun.

Played 36 at Rivermont on Saturday..this golf course is SUPERB!

I echo many of the particulars above and was astounded at the quality and variety of the golf holes.

Furthermore, I loved every minute I was on the property.

The club and staff are terrific.

Not sure how long it will take until the secret's out about how good this place is in its entirety.  

It might be the best value in private golf membership in this country!  

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:14:40 PM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 06:17:21 PM »
Dr. G - these comments mean a lot coming from you. I've never played Rivermont, but I'm going to make damn sure I do now!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »
High praise from an informed source!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mac Plumart

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »
I'd love to see a Rivermont v Peachtree hole by hole matchplay!!

I think The 'mont would do itself proud, but the vibe at Peachtree is "top notch" and tough to beat.  That, and many other things, are overlooked in hole by hole matchplay scenarios.

Simon Holt

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 11:19:33 AM »
I had a great time at Rivermont courtesy of Mac, the Monday before the Masters.  As I said to him at the time, the golf course is great fun, varied and interesting.  You would not get bored of playing here any time soon.  Isn't that what we are all after in a home course?

The greens are very cool.  BIG movement at times but in all the right places.  I liked the Redan hole.  True to form as a good North Berwick boy, a birdie was the only respectful way to treat it.  If my putt hadn't hit the hole it was on the highway.

Great place Mac.  Thanks again!
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Bill Crane

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 01:32:19 PM »
Interesting course to check out in Atlana suburbs, but while really attractive .....................  the baskets are sacrilegious.  Merion is Holy ground.

Is it walkable and is there a walking culture?   I see pictures of carts on their website.

How are the membership rolls doing?  There are many private clubs in that area that must be dying for membership.

WmFlynnfan

Mac Plumart

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 02:03:28 PM »
the baskets are sacrilegious

??? ::) ???

Must be a Georgia thing...Sea Island's got'em too, except Sea Island's are red, like Merion's.  

Is it walkable and is there a walking culture?  

Yes.  Yes.

How are the membership rolls doing?  There are many private clubs in that area that must be dying for membership.

I don't know.  Seems pretty active, but I am not privy to that information.  Seems like you are, per your last comment.  Why don't you tell us all about the membership rolls of private clubs in this area, given your insider knowledge?   ::)

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 06:35:14 PM »
Bill,
I would suspect that between the very high quality of both the course, and the management at Rivermont, that they are not going to have membership problems in the future.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 10:45:44 PM »
Interesting course to check out in Atlana suburbs, but while really attractive .....................  the baskets are sacrilegious.  Merion is Holy ground.

Is it walkable and is there a walking culture?   I see pictures of carts on their website.

How are the membership rolls doing?  There are many private clubs in that area that must be dying for membership.

WmFlynnfan

Hey Bill,

Our club is doing well after difficult times in 2010-2011.  Even after the crash in 2008 we kept a waiting list through 2009 and into the early part of 2010.  The late summer and fall of 2010 through the end of 2011 were awful as we did lose Members.  We are doing better than most private clubs ( we have a great bunch of Members and a fun course) and we are within a dozen members of being at our cap.  With some luck, we may have a waiting list again by the end of the year, though if my family has learned anything since opening the club forty years ago, nothing is for certain in this business  :)

Our club allows walking at any time of day and at no charge. (No trail fee or anything like that).  The front is an easy walk but the back nine a bit hilly. Every Thursday we have two groups of ladies who walk all eighteen so it can't be all bad. Of course, they are in way better shape than most!  We also allow push carts (the Rikshaw) for $9 for eighteen or $5 for nine holes.

As for the baskets, there is a story.  Now, I love Merion too but they were not the first to have baskets and several clubs do use them as well.  Actually, San Francisco golf club has pictures that suggest they used them a long time ago.  They contacted me and I sent them one of our baskets so they could check one out--I'm guessing Merion wouldn't send one  ;)

Anyway, after our renovation I wanted something unique and I really was trying for something other than "Merion" baskets.  I thought about no flag sticks, flag sticks with strips, with pennants, with nothing.  I looked at balls, ovals, all kinds of shapes and nothing looked good.  Then I came across an old turf magazine from the late twenties. Stumpf's I think was the name.  They had an advertisement for "Wicker Balloon Baskets".  When I realized that these wicker baskets were in fact mass marketed at one time I didn't feel so bad "stealing" the idea from Merion!  

Actually, I do not believe the intention of the baskets has anything to do with intentionally deceiving a player regarding the wind.  In fact, the advertisement I read for them suggested that the balloon baskets were for the visual benefit of the player.  On inland courses where wind may be scarce, flags often hung limp and were very difficult to see.  The balloon baskets are easier to see on calm days versus a flag dangling lifelessly from the flagstick.  It was to aid the player, not deceive him!  

We order new wicker every year in the fall, soak it in water and then our guys weave the baskets by hand.  We paint them and have them on our course for daily play April through October. (We bring them in during the winter as the weather is tough on them).  Our baskets are a bit rounder and quite a bit larger than Merions and all eighteen are the same color (Merion has two slightly different hues for the front and back).

Hey, imitation is the sincerest form........

I have scotch broom in some bunkers too :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:49:29 PM by Chris Cupit »

Chris Cupit

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »
Whoops. Wrong button
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:51:58 PM by Chris Cupit »

Robert Kimball

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2013, 10:16:28 AM »
One of the most enjoyable courses (forget hidden gem) in Atlanta IMHO . . . I need to get back in the "loop" and try to get out there again. Mac and Chris, I hope all is well, it seems to be.

Rob

Mac Plumart

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2014, 09:21:40 PM »
Just a shout out to Chris and his work at running the club.

Rivermont was voted the 2013 "Club of the Year" by the Georgia Golf Course Owners Association.

Congrats, Chris!!!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2014, 09:38:04 PM »
Mac,

What about a pre or post Dixie Cup day at Rivermont? I'll bet it would be popular!

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2014, 10:33:21 PM »
Mac,

What about a pre or post Dixie Cup day at Rivermont? I'll bet it would be popular!

Mike

Sounds like a great idea.

Tim Martin

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »
Rivermont certainly deserves any and all awards that come it's way.  As previously described the greens are about as wild and as much fun as you are going to find and the atmosphere is second to none. What Mike Riley did with Chris's blessing is fantastic. I was lucky enough to play five rounds recently and can honestly say that I would be thrilled to head back to Atlanta at any time from New England if only to play Rivermont. Chris Cupit is a real gentleman and I can't imagine anyone better to "watch the store". Hidden gem is an understatement. :)

Gene Greco

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
Just a shout out to Chris and his work at running the club.

Rivermont was voted the 2013 "Club of the Year" by the Georgia Golf Course Owners Association.

Congrats, Chris!!!

Anyone who plays the course can easily see why Rivermont is Georgia's Club of the Year.
I love the place..
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2014, 04:18:48 PM »
Mac,

Mike

Great idea.  Having played Rivermont a number of times, it is truly one of the most enjoyable golf experiences in Georgia.

I hope we can set something up pre or post Dixie, could not think of a better venue!

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2014, 04:29:08 PM »
Congratulations to Chris and Rivermont. I can't think of a course that I would rather play when I am in Atlanta.
If there is a play day around the Dixie cup, please let me know.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »
Guys,

Way too kind with your comments but thank you so much.  I'd love to host the guys and just need to figure out schedules.  I'll get with Mac and work on this  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back