News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Scotland trip taking shape
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 09:59:23 PM »

Mark

They are not all a bad lot, so from time to time I show respect where respect is due.

Melvyn

PS Do you understand all this fuss about mats on TOC – considering what our cousins across the pond allow on their courses, mats do not seem to be a problem. The disinformation some of these guys will release so they do not have to face the real problem.

David_Tepper

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 11:44:42 PM »
"First of all you do not have me. Second, how many links courses do you actually have? Third, you need distance aids to select your clubs, we do it by instinct, Fourth, your designers are limited in design ability (they come up with island greens), they also have to steal our old course designs i.e. Redan Road Hole etc, as without a distance aid they can’t count past 1 (island Green).  Huh? Cool

Then let’s look at the real list, we play golf your something called cartball, Christ guys over three quarters of your guys can’t play golf unless they ride and can’t work out which club to use without a distance aid or caddy.  Other minor points you need a bigger ball to make it easier to see and I suppose hit, you need to keep updating your equipment as the only way to reduce your scores each year and lets not forget your love for shallow bunkers as its the only bunkers you will ever get out off – Can’t wait to watch some more Americans trying to escape the Road Bunker. Wink Kiss"

Talk about dubious wisdom (and verbal BS), especially from someone who has likely never played a golf course in North America. Likely he has not played much golf in Scotland over the past few years either, based on his comments! 

Tim Johnson

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 11:58:09 PM »
Mark, no disrespect at all to the more classic layouts as I love them as well but it is more of a personal choice. Most probably comes from not getting to play in the dunes as I live in Canada. The thing that really captivates me about playing in the dunes is that I dont get to play in them in Canada. Long story short, I find playing in the massive dunes incredible. I cant recall how many times I was walking the fairways of Carne, Enniscrone etc and would say to myself " how would anybody think to place a golf course here". We just dont have that option in Canada.

Being a person who only gets to play links courses every 2 or 3 years, the experience is still new to me and gets me every time. While I love Carne and courses like that, I still love The Machrie just as much or Sligo or Gullane #1. You have to realize that I play mostly tree lined courses in NA so it is something for me to play a Rosapenna where my lie or stance is something I wouldnt get in NA and I truly enjoy that challenge.

And unlike some courses, boobies are boobies and they are all great.........but lets be honest here......a small rack never caused whiplash.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 12:32:48 AM »
Melvyn,

I have refrained, for quite some time, from commenting on many of your ancient views of how the game should be conducted today. I believe in gaining some perspective on one's viewpoint before offering my thoughts. While I actually agree with quite a few of your observations, one particular assertion...you have cited repeatedly...regarding almost a distain for caddies and their role, comparing them to distance aids...I can not allow to stand.

That ancestral history, and the contributions made by them, of which you are so proud, would NOT EXIST were it not for their ability to find the game as caddies! For you to marginalize, demean and cheapen what caddies have given to the game is heresy sir! This is especially true given YOUR families rich rewards they earned from the opportunity. Your thrift or desire to "figure it out yourself" is noble...but you...  and EVERYONE else that ever held a club, owes a TITANIC debt of gratitude to those humble(and sometimes not!) caddies that have defined the game for centuries...including YOUR ancestors!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 04:56:18 AM »

Then let’s look at the real list, we play golf your something called cartball, Christ guys over three quarters of your guys can’t play golf unless they ride and can’t work out which club to use without a distance aid or caddy.

Melvyn 

Didn't OTM also act as a caddy for the gentlemen of the R&A? ???

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 05:43:43 AM »

Guys,

JC comment to Mac reply 22 I presumed was tongue in cheek and so was my reply.

As normal David just reacts to my comments, that’s enough said about him.

Kris

I very seldom talk about caddies but I have always agreed that one should take a caddie when playing TOC, not necessary the first time but certainly second & third times. But some seem to think that I am anti caddie, well lets clear this up now, No I am Not anti-Caddie. I do not uses a caddie, because I want to play my game, I do not want help be it navigating the course or with club selection. Its one of the reason and great pleasure why I play golf is to do it all by myself. The Challenge of facing the unknown on a new course then have someone tell you to go here or there and its this or that length – come on guys this is the heart of the game the decision process and that should be the golfers alone.

Please direct me to my numerous statements against Caddies as I do not recall them. In fact I do remember posting a link to the Home of GolfTV articles on TOC Caddies.

No I have no problems with Caddies, just that I prefer not to use them for reasons stated above. If it would get rid of carts and distance aids I would willing endorse the use of Caddies every time – trust that clears up my position on Caddies.

Donal

I hope my comments to Kris clears up attitude to Caddies.

I see the emoticons do not work anymore

Melvyn

James Boon

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 05:56:01 AM »
Mac,

Glad to hear that your plans are coming together!

What are you planning between Muirfield/Rennaissance and TOC and when are you planning on playing Askernish, or will that be in that gap? I'd also be interested to know how you are planning on getting to Askernish?

I'm currently planning next years trip to Scotland and it looks like we will be heading to Islay, possibly early May. This means that The Machrie, Machrihanish, Machrihanish Dunes and possibly Glencruitten at Oban are all possibilities for me. If you happen to be taking the more leisurely and picturesque route to Askernish via road and ferry, and you fancy any of these, then let me know and we can see if we get something to work out?

Cheers,

James

ps Great picture of the 7th at Askernish, did Ralph send you that?
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 07:04:10 AM »
Personally I'd skip all those crap old courses and wait for Trump Aberdeen to open up...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 07:47:46 AM »

Jug

Trump I expect has a part to play in Golf, I just wish it was not over here and in particular on one of the great seafront landscape in the world. But he is here, so perhaps he will do something for that area and provide more accommodation, apart from that his hair style worries me more wondering what it is he will try to hide or cover up with the golf course complexes (Nuclear Waste recycling plant, Factories for WMD, Research into Hair loss A La Bobby Charlton or retirement home for the officials of The R&A). That hair is hiding something, expect it will be noting in the end except good old fashion baldness. Baldness is a sign of a mature active brain.     

Jug forget the old courses, their holes and all you guys over there will be left with a country clubs with the island Greens substituting for swimming pools.

Melvyn

JC Jones

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 08:00:14 AM »

Guys,

You are correct Melvyn.  I also enjoy how you repeatedly call Jud, Jug.  It makes me laugh at him even more than I already do.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 08:04:12 AM »
JC

Thanks now everyone knows its not a mistake >:(

Melvyn

Jud_T

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 08:30:27 AM »

Guys,

You are correct Melvyn.  I also enjoy how you repeatedly call Jud, Jug.  It makes me laugh at him even more than I already do.

Was there a football game last week?  Oh yeah, told you I was the kiss of death....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 08:56:59 AM »
Melvyn,

I appreciate your stated take on caddie golf. You make valid points, with wanting to face the challenge alone, of figuring out a course. That is one approach and you certainly are entitled to play the game any way you wish, as is everyone else. There is no need to dredge up past comments you made about caddies by me. They have been made, but I now believe they were more about your preferece to go it alone to enjoy your game, than a direct slighting of the caddie.

There is a wonderful experience to be had when you share the challenge with a quality caddie. I hope that a least once, you are able to experience and embrace that opportunity. I doubt you'll feel it lessened your round's enjoyment one little bit. You love the game, that much is clear, and that alone merits my respect. Cheers! 8)

Mac,
I did not mean to thread-jack. My apologies! Sounds like a super trip. Give me a jingle and we can chat about it.
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

JC Jones

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 09:05:25 AM »

Guys,

Was there a football game last week?  Oh yeah, told you I was the kiss of death....

That was two weeks ago when you bet on us to beat NW. 

Nice try.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 10:13:14 AM »

Mc

In my last e-mail from Ralph which included the 9MB photo he also passed on the following info

Twice daily flights from Glasgow to Benbecula.  www.flybe.com

Packages available from www.scotiatravel.com   and   www.loganair.com

USA and European golfers please visit          www.adventuresingolf.com

Melvyn

Jud_T

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 10:23:20 AM »
JC,

Unfortunately for both of us I had 'em again last week.

Mac,

Have a great trip. It's gonna rock your worldview.  And why no Prestwick?

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 10:55:42 AM »
Consider
Prestwick,Cruden Bay,ferry to RCD and RP.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 11:25:09 AM »
Melvin,

Now that you have wholeheartedly endorsed caddies, how is distance offered by a caddie any different than one obtained from a sprinkler head, marker stone or range finder?

We also have a lot of people new to the site, perhaps you could state for the record: when was the last time you actually played an 18 hole round of golf?

Thanks in advance.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mac Plumart

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 11:25:18 AM »
Hey guys...

I am totally pumped to be going and I have been putting this thing together for about a year.  The idea to go has been centered around playing The Old Course.  Frankly, when I set this thing up I had the idea that if this is all I got to play...I'd be fine with that.  Alister Mackenzie (arguably the greatest architect in history) raved about the course and seemed to consider it the greatest of them all.  Old Tom is heavily associated with it.  Bobby Jones had a seminal moment on The Old Course and then designed Augusta National with The Old Course in mind.  Jack, and then Tiger, have said that a career isn't complete without having won an Open at St. Andrews.  With all this in mind (and more), I thought if I was going to really understand golf and golf course architecture...this course needs to be played and studied throughout my lifetime.  So, here I am...finally I have my tee time in hand!!   :'(

But as I sat and waited for the 2011 tee times to open up in September 2010, I studied about other courses in Scotland.  Muirfield came up.  I was chomping at the bit to get the ball rolling and I learned that Muirfield needs a lot of prior planning to get on...so I booked that tee time this past March...over a year ahead of when I'll be playing it.  

I also began to talk and discuss this trip with many of you on this site.  David Tepper provided some great advice to me, he said plan your trip like you are going to be going to Scotland at least 4 times in your life.  If you don't do it this way, you will try to put too much in your trip.  I liked this idea and proceeded forward.

Okay, Muirfield was on the books...what was close by there.  Renaissiance is right next door.  I'm staying right there, so I'll book that.  Again, I heard that was a difficult one to get on.  So, I reached out and tried to set it up.  No problem.  So, that is set.

Musselburgh is a must play for me, but I heard getting on is no problem.  So, I'll set that one up a bit later.  North Berwick is right there, so if my legs are holding up...I'll hit that one as well.  And that will conclude my Edinburgh area agenda...Muirfield, Renaissance, Musselburgh, and probably North Berwick.

Then it is off to St. Andrews.  I've got The Old Course and Jubilee (as the Jubilee was part of the package deal I got...no ifs, ands, or buts about it...I had to take it...no worries I am looking forward to it).  And then I have a game penciled in for Crail with Mark P.  I hope his schedule will allow for that to happen.

Then I'll get over to Askernish.  This one for me is plain and simply a must see.  I plan on playing hickories and really taking in the pure nature of it.  Given what I have learned about myself and what I like from a game of golf, this should be a good fit for me.  I fully understand the hassle that it will entail to get there, but I really don't care.  If I take a day off from playing to simply make the travel, that is fine.  My legs will get a rest.

So, right now I've got...
May 2nd arrive,
May 3rd Muirfield,
May 4th Renaissance,
May 5th Musselburgh (only 9 holes, so I'll get some what of a break)
May 6th North Berwick (assuming all is well with my body)
May 7th chill
May 8th Crail
May 9th St. Andrews Jubilee
May 10th St. Andrews Old
May 11th Askernish travel/play?
May 12th Askernsih play/travel?
May 13th head home ?

I'll hopefully be seeing Turnberry, Prestwick, Cruden Bay, Dornoch, The Machrie, and others on future trips.  But this is all I'll be able to handle, most likely, on this trip.

I've said it before, and not to sound like a broken record, I'd love to meet up with as many of y'all as I can on this and other trips.  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:27:25 AM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jud_T

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 11:32:24 AM »
Sounds like you've really given it a lot of thought and it's really well planned for what you're looking for.  Don't be too hard on the Old Girl, it wasn't till my second time around that I began to get it.  And don't pass up the Haggis!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »
Mac,

One round on TOC will be enlightening, but will not provide all the answers. Please consider at least a second round there, I know of no course that reveals so little in its first play.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:42:57 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Simon Holt

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2010, 03:35:04 PM »
Mac,

PM me before you come.  I live in North Berwick and would love to meet up.  Are you travelling/golfing alone?

Simon
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
Mac,

Two pieces of advice on East Lothian:

1) Play North Berwick with Simon Holt.

2) Take some time to drive up the coastline between North Berwick and Musselburgh.  There are so many courses along that stretch that are worth playing or just looking at, including Gullane (1-3), Luffness New, Kilspindie, North Berwick East Links.  My Dad and I are still kicking ourselves for not taking an extra hour to play Musselburgh.  If you spent a day just cruising that coastline without any concrete plans or tee times, I'm sure it would be a great adventure.

Prestwick and the other Western courses always seem to get lost in the shuffle here, but Prestwick is absolutely worth playing.  You will see one of the quirkiest courses anywhere, but you will also see a course that is still DAMN TOUGH for the present day.  Prestwick was one of the ultimate golf experiences for me.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
So, right now I've got...
May 2nd arrive,
May 3rd Muirfield,
May 4th Renaissance,
May 5th Musselburgh (only 9 holes, so I'll get some what of a break)
May 6th North Berwick (assuming all is well with my body)
May 7th chill
May 8th Crail
May 9th St. Andrews Jubilee
May 10th St. Andrews Old
May 11th Askernish travel/play?
May 12th Askernsih play/travel?
May 13th head home ?

Mac

That's an awesome itinerary - it seems you will be in the St. Andrews area on the 8th and with it being a Sunday (and the course closed) I would highly recommend you do a gentle stroll around TOC to begin your acquaintance with it.

Mark Arata

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »
What's with the chill day? Go play Lundin Links...well worth it..
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back