News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lynn_Shackelford

Re: Buda IX - Open for business
« Reply #200 on: September 21, 2011, 01:39:21 PM »
Lynn a bag carrier should do just that plus rake bunkers, replace divots and attend the flag. A caddie should do all of that plus give distances, help with reading putts, etc.

That is what I figured.  Sounds like something right down my alley.  I remember my son Geoff was playing in a match play event at the Broadmoor when he first started college.  He said he told the 13 year caddie, that he didn't want a lot of chatter.  So after 9 holes I asked Geoff if the caddie was talking much.  He said on the front nine he said nothing until he asked him what he wanted at the 9th hole snack stand and is only reply was "snickers." 
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

James Boon

« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »
Great work on the pairings Captains! Conrad did an excellent job of carrying me around Royal Porthcawl, so looking forward to pairing up with such a fine fellow once again!

Looking at the tee times, we might be struggling to get everyone around Hankley a second time unless we play foursomes in the afternoon as well? Though I personally love foursomes, I know its not everyone's cup of tea, so how about the possibility of playing greensomes in the afternoon at Hankley? Everyone gets to walk back to the tee and play a shot from there, but it should be quicker than a fourball? Whatever we do, I can't wait!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #202 on: September 21, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »

Poor Mayhugh?  Do you know what he's been up to?  Probably sampling the finest in Long Island or Carmel for all we know.

Nothing that exciting.  After the trip to Australia, I just couldn't get away for a whole week again this year.  Hope you guys have a great time.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »
Great work on the pairings Captains! Conrad did an excellent job of carrying me around Royal Porthcawl, so looking forward to pairing up with such a fine fellow once again!

Looking at the tee times, we might be struggling to get everyone around Hankley a second time unless we play foursomes in the afternoon as well? Though I personally love foursomes, I know its not everyone's cup of tea, so how about the possibility of playing greensomes in the afternoon at Hankley? Everyone gets to walk back to the tee and play a shot from there, but it should be quicker than a fourball? Whatever we do, I can't wait!

Cheers,

James

I think we'll be okay if we play REAL best ball matches:  if you are out of a hole, pick up, move on.  Medal scores not required.

And there's something about the waiting bar that speeds things up.

Having said that, I am not opposed to greensomes at all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2011, 03:31:06 AM »
Nothing that exciting.  After the trip to Australia, I just couldn't get away for a whole week again this year.  Hope you guys have a great time.
Don't worry, we  will have a great time.  It's BUDA, after all.  Doesn't mean that it wouldn't be better if you were there.  Now if you don't make next year we'll start to take it personally!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2011, 04:35:25 AM »
I know I shouldn't do this.  I know I'm inviting a curse.  However, have a look at the forecast for next week.  Glorious.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2011, 04:52:14 AM »
We are now most assuredly cursed.  Thanks Mark!
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2011, 07:19:16 AM »
Good to know who's buying the drinks while we sit out the hailstorm :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »
I remember we had to change into formal clothes at Sandwich for lunch - is that the same at Hankley and Liphook or can we go in golf clothes? I assume the formal dinner at Liphook is jacket & tie, but what about the lunches?

Ulrich

Craig Disher

« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2011, 10:14:33 AM »
Last report before I head to the airport:

By overwhelming vote - no dissenters actually - our Liphook dinner will be a roast beef carvery. We'll have a ploughman's lunch that day with a choice of either ham or cheese. Have your selection in mind on Wednesday so we can call it in to the club.

I believe jacket and tie will be required for Thursday's dinner. Lunches will be casual although I always have a jacket and tie not far away just in case.

Hoping for good weather, I'll see everyone Wednesday - or Tuesday evening.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2011, 05:02:43 AM »
Mark Pearce was right.  The forecast is for incredibly good September weather.  Even hotter than Brian predicted.  In the 80's expected.  It's going to be a fantastic few days.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »
UK weather forecasts and UK weather - two worlds collide :)

I'm already here near Hindhead and all I can say is that it rained this morning! Come one, we're still in England. I must say, however, that it did clear up around 11 AM and for the most part of the day it was glorious sunshine. But it did rain ... well, drizzle this morning! :)

Ulrich

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »
Beautiful day in London not a hint of a shower.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »
Beautiful day in London not a hint of a shower.

...until this evening when it poured on us as we made our way to the theatre.

No worries for the Buda, however. Glorious sunshine and Indian Summer weather for the rest of the week!!! Bring your shorts and long socks!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2011, 02:41:01 AM »
Just had an email from Lorne Smith he sends his apolgies in his absence from this year's event and sends eveybody his regards.

Boy, this is an event to look forward to putting names to faces together. Gonna miss 'Sir' Lorne with his mighty plus fours, Jason, GCA Jedi Master and GCA's most famous wildlife photographer! Look forward to meeting 'new' GCA'ers especially our dear leader!

Even though Mr Warren recently played the Holy Grail of GCA courses to play he will still be miffed that he is not playing his favourite UK course in the most sublime of indian summer UK weather!

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:47:12 AM by Ben Stephens »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2011, 06:17:37 PM »
I'm also miffed not to be playing Hankley due to war games. Will be at Liphook pm Thursday and Friday.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »
Day one results after a.m. Foursomes and p.m. four balls:

ROW 6-1/2, GB&I 4-1/2

Much genial slagging going on, fueled by copious quantities of alcohol.   ;D

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »
I've uploaded a few of my pics and created a Hankley Common album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113171364365215548231

Ulrich

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2011, 02:40:05 PM »
I'll leave it to the captains to post the results. Suffice it to say that I am very grateful to the organisers, this event was run immaculately - although I didn't lay an eye on the Devil's Punchbowl Hotel, so others will have to comment on that ;-)

Much fun, good courses and superb weather. Thank you everyone.

Ulrich

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
The Devils Punchbowl Hotel was fine with some very nice Ringwood ale being served last night. Needless to say last orders at 11pm was quickly changed into a 1am departure by purchasing the barmaid a drink!
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
Mark I was truly impressed how you handled those delicate negotiations.  At the next Buda I wiil reveal the full story of Chappers, the barmaid amd the Vodka...

Great fun guys safe journey's home.

I've made it to Edinburgh on the same flight as Sheehy!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Final result of this event was a win for ROW, 19-15.  The turning point was the second day  four ball matches, 4-1 ROW to make the score 13-1/2 to 8-1/2.  GBI won today's singles matches 6-1/2 to 5-1/2 but not enough to turn the tide.  

Many thanks to Captain Peter Mallalieu, it was great fun to captain these teams of old friends with a few newcomers thrown to spice things up.   And thanks to Golf's Most Beloved Figure, Ran Morrissett for showing up and bringing his hickories as well as that lethal white TaylorMade driver!

For the record, Hankley Common and Liphook are two elegant heathland gems that have never heard of but all would enjoy playing.  Liphook had the most interesting and best conditioned greens I've played on in many years.   Great golf course.  

And to end this report, thanks to Craig Disher and Tony Muldoon for the organizing of Buda IX. Well done and thanks, gents.  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 02:40:33 AM by Bill_McBride »

Jason Topp

« Reply #222 on: October 01, 2011, 12:07:51 AM »
I knew we would win   ;)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2022, 07:22:23 PM »
I've uploaded a few of my pics and created a Hankley Common album:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113171364365215548231

Ulrich
Ulrich - wish you could recreate your photo album from this Buda.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #224 on: April 14, 2022, 06:17:44 PM »
I don't remember which photos I put in there back then, but maybe those:

http://www.mayring.de/albums/Hankley_Common.html

Maybe we can get Buda going again?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back