News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Buda IX - Open for business
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:47:52 AM »
We will use this thread as the primary source of information for the Buda Cup IX. All updates will be posted here so if you are planning to attend, check here every so often.

The Budapest Cup IX will be held 28-30 September 2011 at Liphook Golf Club (http://www.liphookgolfclub.com/) and Hankley Common Golf Club (http://www.hankley.co.uk/). The schedule for play will be

28 September - Hankley Common GC

Breakfast
6 tee times, foursomes at 8:30 AM
Lunch
6 tee times, foursomes or 4ball, no later than 2:30 PM

29 September - Liphook GC

Coffee on arrival
6 tee times - 9:00 AM
Light lunch
6 tee times - 2:00 PM
Formal 3-course dinner at Liphook GC

30 September - Liphook GC

Coffee on arrival
6 tee times - 9:00 AM
Sandwiches following

The total cost for the 3 days of golf and the meals listed above is 245GBP.

We are still investigating a suitable hotel that will accommodate our entire group. You're certainly free to locate another hotel or b&b on your own but keep in mind that we are considering a second dinner at the hotel - if we can negotiate a reasonable rate.

We are asking for a deposit to show serious interest. It will be non-refundable after 1 May 2011. If we are over-booked, preference will be given to those who can commit to play all three days. From the level of interest so far, it appears that we may have a full house but keep in mind that there are usually a few golfers who prefer to play only 18 holes on the 36-hole days so it's likely that we
can accommodate more than 24 golfers on the 28th and 29th.

The deposit will be $150 or 100GBP. If anyone prefers to write a dollar check, it can be made payable to Craig Disher and sent to my address

3309 Morrison St. NW
Washington, DC 20015

GBP checks can be sent to

Tony Muldoon
3 Meynell Crescent
London
E9 7ASA

The balance will be paid to either Tony or me prior to play on the 28th.

When you respond to this thread, please include your USGA index or CONGU handicap and indicate whether you would like to play all 3 days and/or all 5 rounds. There will also be good opportunities for pre- and post- Buda play. Chappers has already announced a warm-up day at Deal and there are also excellent courses near Liphook and Hankley Common.

Registration Information

Hankley Common Information
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:52:37 AM by Craig Disher »

Sean_A

Re: Buda IX - Open for business
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »
Craig

Well done with the organizing.  Now all the fun begins! 

I am interested in playing the 30th at Liphook if I can play last out (its a bit of a drive for me!).  I am not sure what the cost of the round is, but I would think paying that green fee is cheaper than the deposit - no? 

Are there any thoughts about golf the 31st and 1st?  This would definitely sway me toward heading down if it comes off.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 12:49:15 PM »
Craig,

Put me down.  I think Conrad and Giles will both be on for this but will confirm in due course.

One thing strikes me.  At that time of year in London the sun is setting at 6.40 pm.  We are going to really struggle to get 6 groups round starting at 2 or 2.30pm.

Looking forward to it.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:53:16 PM »

Crig,

Put me down for Buda please!  I will send a money order to you in the next few days. Thanks so much for doing the legwork.

Bob Jenkins

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
Craig,

Excellent, please count me in for everything at present. I'll send a cheque to Tony for the deposit.

I had to disappear sharpish this year, but as our last day is a Friday, I don't fancy the drive home on a Friday afternoon / evening so I imagine I'll stay over that night and look for a possible round on Saturday morning if anyone else is interested and we can arrange something for the following morning??? Hindhead or West Sussex perhaps though not easy for a Saturday morning?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 04:16:10 PM »
Craig,

Excellent, please count me in for everything at present. I'll send a cheque to Tony for the deposit.

I had to disappear sharpish this year, but as our last day is a Friday, I don't fancy the drive home on a Friday afternoon / evening so I imagine I'll stay over that night and look for a possible round on Saturday morning if anyone else is interested and we can arrange something for the following morning??? Hindhead or West Sussex perhaps though not easy for a Saturday morning?

Cheers,

James

Craig,

Also count me in - looking forward to this BUDA as a sophomore!
Ditto to Boony's comment above

Cheers
Ben

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:25:37 PM »
Craig,

I would love to play -- please count me in! All 3 days. 11.1 Index.

Many thanks to you and Peter for making the arrangements.

Eric

Darth Boony,

Only a Sith Lord carries a red lightsaber!

I'm in for whatever post BUDA golf you and Cpt. Solo are threatening to scare up that weekend.

Cheers,

Old Speckled Jedi

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:30:31 PM by Eric Smith »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »
Thanks Craig count me in.  13  (but there's a year to go!)

The obvious Sat course is Blackmoor but sadly no visitors.  We have time but possibilites include

http://www.stonehamgolfclub.org.uk/index.lasso?pg=aa74bbc7e471f054&cl=1&catid=58d059de2a786341&mp=3832e08b72245011  Sean has profiled this and its a wonderful gem with perhaps my favourite short par 4.  

http://www.haylinggolf.co.uk/index.lasso?pg=5996f03aa6d5e46f&cl=1&catid=49ec8afa3479e7c1&mp=760f20a8cec6b738
I've always wanted to see this.

Stoneham.

Short, blind and what the pictures don’t show is, don’t go left.

Let’s wait until Craig has a quorum and then start a new thread.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:54:04 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »
Craig,

I would love to play -- please count me in! All 3 days. 11.1 Index.

Many thanks to you and Peter for making the arrangements.

Eric

Darth Boony,

Only a Sith Lord carries a red lightsaber!

I'm in for whatever post BUDA golf you and Cpt. Solo are threatening to scare up that weekend.

Cheers,

Old Speckled Jedi

How about a fancy dress party dedicated to Star Wars during BUDA?? LOL

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 06:27:58 PM »
Yes, I like Spangles' idea of Stoneham!  And yes, yes, oh what a thrill the 13th is.  Comfortably the least heralded and most deserving of praise short 4 I know of.  For those familiar with Delamere Forest, Stoneham is that sort of course but probably slightly better.  I know a member and may ask him if he can work on our behalf if folks are interested.  See my review below. 

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30823.0/

Hayling is also quite good and with Stoneham adheres to the BUDA IX motto of "if it ain't a hidden gem Pests won't be there".

Hockley is a sleeper course near Winchester which could also be of interest.  Its a fine downland course with a handful of exceptional holes. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »
Craig - I am in for all three days along with Dixie Cup participant Ken Fields who will be traveling with me in England on this trip.

Once again... I nominate Peter Mallalieu for Euro captain.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 10:38:55 PM »
I'm in and assume Drinkin' Joe will be too.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 02:30:33 AM »
I nominate Peter Mallalieu for Euro captain.

Good call Captain Whittaker.

I nominate Bill McBride for USA Captain!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 09:18:46 PM »
One would hope with such fine offerings we could pull together a GB team v a RoW team.

European is so un-English!
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 05:58:39 AM »
One would hope with such fine offerings we could pull together a GB team v a RoW team.

European is so un-English!

Chappers

It was GB&I (with the I aka Spangles) vs USA this year.  The problem is getting these ROW guys out of the woodwork. 

Ciao 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 06:39:48 AM »
Happy to hand The Muldoon to RoW!! No "I" in GB.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 03:11:54 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

John Mayhugh

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 12:20:50 PM »
I'll get a deposit check sent to Craig on Monday.

Mark,
If Deal is in the works for Tuesday, count me in.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 12:28:13 PM »
Deposits are now rolling in.  Craig has added a very cool link at the bottom of the first post

Registration Information

Anyone know the first two to sign up? ;)

I’m in for Deal on Tuesday and staying until Sat.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »
Anyone know the first two to sign up? ;)

I have a dim memory of the first one being a reprobate and the second a ringer. But maybe I'm thinking of someone else, it's been ages...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 12:33:22 PM »
Happy to hand The Muldoon to RoW!! No "I" in GB.  ;)

You will live to regret this, Mr. Chaplin.  Mark my words!   ;D

Jamie Barber

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 03:23:01 PM »
Sorry if this is a stupid question; but is it all or nothing? I'd like to play some of this but won't be able to take all 3 days off work, esp. as I plan to take a big chunk of vacation to do course marshalling in the Open in July.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »
Jamie ideally Craig is hoping for two teams but already knows some people can't do it all.  It's up to him to have the final word on this but if you can be flexible, dropping in will be most welcome.

My brother is in the same position.

Tony

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 07:52:59 PM »
I'm all in.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 11:24:53 PM »
Craig - Check is on the way for Ken and me. All five rounds.

Chappers & Mark - I will be at Deal on Tuesday with my guest Ken Fields. Put me down to host two additional guests.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
Craig - Check is on the way for Ken and me. All five rounds.

Chappers & Mark - I will be at Deal on Tuesday with my guest Ken Fields. Put me down to host two additional guests.

Can a few of us book the dormie flat at this early date?

I am thinking fly in on Sunday and play at Rye, Littlestone and Deal before heading to Farnham.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back