News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re: TOP 10 ENGLAND INLAND
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2014, 10:00:29 AM »
Ganron
Woodhall Spa
Sunningdale new and old
Walton Heath old
Swinley Foprest
Royal Asdown Forest...big winnie the Pooh fan
Little Aston
Notts
Berkshire Red

In my opinion any list without the  first six on the list I dont understand the next four I could probably switcgh and cahnge with any number of others.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »

...big winnie the Pooh fan

Easter time at 'Days Lock' near Abingdon on the River Thames.......the World Pooh Sticks Championship! Highly recommended. :)

Combine with a round at say Huntercombe or Frilford Heath, both of which, especially FH, are not too far away.

atb

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »

...big winnie the Pooh fan

Easter time at 'Days Lock' near Abingdon on the River Thames.......the World Pooh Sticks Championship! Highly recommended. :)

Combine with a round at say Huntercombe or Frilford Heath, both of which, especially FH, are not too far away.

atb

Hmmm...England at Easter the World Pooh Sticks and see United play, good idea. ;D

Ryan Coles

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2014, 07:58:24 PM »
Ryan,

not sure about Wentworth any more though as it was 25 years ago it was certainly top 10. What were your impressions of Remedy Oak? It looks an interesting course.
Jon

Jon

I wouldn't give you a very long argument but wentworth is probably not what it was 25 years ago. That said, bias against corporate golf aside,  it is arguably still in the top 10. Not all of Els' work was junk. The bunkers are at least hazards to be avoided.

Remedy oak I think is a modern uk great. But it could be better. I just think its a great site and the course is tremendous fun to play. I rate it much higher than anyone I know but there's few places I'd rather play on a summers day.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 01:15:54 AM »
I think I asked this question before but can't find the thread...

Which courses are in contention for the best "modern" (post-1960) inland courses in England?... Even then there is a difference between the 60's and 70's courses (e.g. Woburn's first two) and those more shaped by the styles of the 80's and 90's... And then the 00's and 10's have become much more divergent in styles again...

I've not played it yet but a good friend of mine is a member at Wellingborough and raves about it. The club moved to its current home in 1975 and it certainly looks the business on the website.

Any thoughts?

http://www.wellingboroughgolfclub.com/default.asp

Hi Duncan,

I play Wellingborough once a year. It is an ok course I wouldn't put it in my top 100 in England :) - it only has 2 par 3's the course would be better if it had 4 par 3's as it has some really interesting holes and some really mundane ones.

Cheers
Ben

Ben Stephens

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 01:17:22 AM »
My top 10 inland

1.   Sunningdale Old - (Park)
2.   Notts - (Park)
3.   Ganton - (Vardon)
4.   Swinley Forest - (Colt)
5.   Woodhall Spa - (Hotckin)
6.   Liphook - (Croome)
7.   Alwoodley (Mackenzie)
8.   Huntercombe (Park)
9.   Luffenham Heath (Colt)  
10. Northamptonshire County (colt)

Notable mentions - Sherwood Forest, Woburn (Dukes) if they did a tree programme to thin it out, Kings Lynn, Sutton Coldfield, Hankley Common, West Hill, Lindrick, Mildenhall, Cleeve Cloud and Cavendish would be in my next 10 courses.

For me Wille Park jr is the top dog as a golf course architect in England - I have not yet played Stoneham but heard it is quite good
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:29:20 AM by Ben Stephens »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 01:22:52 AM »
How about the top 10 most overrated courses in England?? the Belfry would definitely be top in my view.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:24:59 AM by Ben Stephens »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 04:51:02 AM »
Ryan,

not sure about Wentworth any more though as it was 25 years ago it was certainly top 10. What were your impressions of Remedy Oak? It looks an interesting course.
Jon

Jon

I wouldn't give you a very long argument but wentworth is probably not what it was 25 years ago. That said, bias against corporate golf aside,  it is arguably still in the top 10. Not all of Els' work was junk. The bunkers are at least hazards to be avoided.

Remedy oak I think is a modern uk great. But it could be better. I just think its a great site and the course is tremendous fun to play. I rate it much higher than anyone I know but there's few places I'd rather play on a summers day.

Ryan,

I played the Burma Road a few times mid to late 80's but not since. From what I have seen of the Els alterations I can understand what you say that the bunkers are still hazards to avoid but I think it has lost a lot of its character and I would imagine its charm. Your description of Remedy is what I hoped it would be. I will have to make an effort to go and see it when I am further south sometime.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back