News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Bogey's Photo Friday - Monday Edition
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2012, 09:55:39 AM »
There is no question that the original properly restored biarritz holes are beautiful.  The do however remind me of the Frank Lloyd Wright house that is near my home. (3hrs) A design masterpiece but a practical failure on every level.  Funny thing, I agree that it "needs" to be preserved, its why that I am not sure of, surely not to warn others of such folly.

http://www.hectv.org/programs/series/state-of-the-arts/1030/august-2011/#play2318

http://www.ebsworthpark.org/index.html

Bill Brightly

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2012, 01:10:39 PM »

I dunno, when I figure out how to hit one, I'll let you know. Seriously, I have been working on it for 5 years with mixed success. I think the 3-wood stinger will work, and I have tried it, but I can't keep it straight. Misses end up in the FRONT left and right bunkers, which are just brutal, long sand shots. I am now alternating between trying to adapt my hook shot recovery swing, or my low 3-wood fade, depending on what side of the green the pin is on.

I have no intention of listing Biarritz holes I have experienced. You continue to try to defend the indefensible. Your quote above makes my case.

You are making a case? My God, if you were an attorney, I would feel so sorry for your client! :)  Do you have any evidence to present in this case of yours?

You really think the fact that a golfer (whose handicap bounces between 3 and 6) has struggled to settle on a prefered shot on HIS HOME COURSE proves the this is a badly designed golf hole? THAT makes your case?

If your case is that I am a bad golfer, you might win that one...

For those readers actually trying to have a meaningful discuussion about golf course architecture, I will explain why I have been unsuccessful is learning the low running shot. For most of the past 5 years I did not need it,  the rear portion of the green has been soft enough to accept my full 5 wood or 3 rescue, especially since I play the blues most days. It is only when I go back to the blacks that I have a problem: my full 3-wood lands on the upslope, which is steep enough to stop it dead most times, and the ball rolls back down the swale. A 3 wood stinger or some other running shot is called for, but I'm usually playing the blacks at club championship time, and it's just hard to trust this shot under those conditions. I usually just ended up hitting full 3 wood and hoping for the best. But I am going to change that approach this year.

Our superintendent has removed a few trees and really worked to firm up the rear portion, and this Spring it has been so firm the my full rescue clubs are bounding over the green from the blue tees. So as long as the conditions remain f  & f, I'll need a run up shot from the blues and the blacks.  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:34:44 PM by Bill Brightly »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »
Bill,

A member that I know that plays a biarritz on his home course prefers the three fingered driver.  Oh, I guess you knew that as evidenced by this thread.  Sorry.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49832.msg1133545.html#msg1133545
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:22:31 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 01:21:52 PM »
Next time you play a Biarittz drop a ball 30 yards short of the green and have some fun.   I think that's where it could be relevant today - on a short two shotter or barely reachable (however the heck you define that in today's game) par five.  Reduce the width and lose the bunkers except perhaps on BEHIND the green.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Michael Blake

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2012, 01:25:45 PM »
The only way it works is if the plateaus are oversized

Sarge's explanation in his second post seems reasonable.

Jud_T

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2012, 01:31:25 PM »
Seems odd that a properly restored and maintained Biarritz would not be popular with the F&F crowd.  My guess is most of you haven't played one where the proper shot is both required and rewarded;  and don't forget the thrill of draining the occasional birdie putt from the other side of the swale at a critical point in a match...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Brightly

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »
The only way it works is if the plateaus are oversized

Sarge's explanation in his second post seems reasonable.

Well, since EVERY Macdonald/Raynor/Banks Biarritz I have seen has oversized "plateaus", they all must work for Sarge.

The back "plateau" is an entire green, larger than most because it needs to accept a running shot from 220. Here is Forsgate's Biarritz with some other greens shown so that you can compare the sizes.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:33:50 PM by Bill Brightly »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »
Bump.  Additional comments on Forsgate's Biarritz.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back