News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Urbina

Re: Claremont CC
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:49 PM »
NFreeman,

I believe that Robert Hunter was actively involved with Claremont from the start.  The bunkering has the same stamp of approval that other Hunter courses had when he was involved- The Valley Club of Montecito/ Pasatiempo,  the layering of the bunkering was the same at the previous clubs mentioned, I also saw this style of layering at Cypress Point most notably the 11th hole.

Two holes had been adjusted after Hunter and Mackenzie did the rework of Claremont.  Holes # 2 was shortened from a short par 4 to a par 3 and the angle of the 10th hole a par 3 was changed from the lower location next to the 9th green to an upper tee located next to the tennis courts that played across a deep ravine and showed off a rock quarry that borders the 10th green.

I am traveling right now but I know that the original club was formed further south closer to Oakland in 1897 and then moved north towards Berkley to its present location.  I will check when I get back to my office later this week.

Jay the pro at Claremont deserves a majority of the credit for the restoration of the golf course.  His dedication to The Golden Age designs was paramount and the majority of the education process directed to the members by Jay was as important.

After spending a considerable amount of time at Claremont over the years  I am convinced that not all golf courses need to be 7,500 yards.  Claremont is one of those clubs that exudes the Fun Factor in golf.

JLahrman

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
Bump now that Claremont's 11th is the feature pic on the home page.

Scott Warren

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2012, 08:34:43 AM »
Guess I have to go back to NorCal, then... Looks and sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Having seen Jim Urbina's great handiwork at Santa Cruz and Montecito, I can imagine how impressive this must be.

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2012, 10:00:32 AM »
As a matter of interest, if I wanted (as a non-member) to pitch up for a game, how much would the green fee be ?

Niall

David_Tepper

Re: Claremont CC New
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2012, 11:17:07 AM »
Niall -

Like the vast majority of golf clubs in the U.S., Claremont does not allow visitor play unless accompanied by a member (but I am guessing you know that!).

DT
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:29:42 PM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back