News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sven Nilsen

GCAofTD - #15 - Willie Campbell
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »
Keeping with the theme of most popular GCA first names, Willie Campbell was born in Musselburgh.  His start in golf was as a caddy at Musselburgh in the days when many caddies were also competing professionals.  He played a memorable match against Willie Park Jr. in the 1887 Open Championship, losing by a shot after a questionable play from a bunker at Prestwick, the bunker now dubbed "Campbell's Grave."

Campbell began his design career by laying out several courses in England and Scotland before immigrating to the United States in 1894 as part of the early wave of Scottish pros who came to these shores to seek their livelihood.  During his brief time in the States before passing away in 1900 he served as the first professional at TCC Brookline and as a summer professional at Essex CC.  As noted below, he had a hand in the creation or renovation of many of the earliest courses built in New England.

Course List:

1893 - TCC Brookline (MA) - Date in question as reports have him arriving in 1894.  He also added 3 holes in 1895.
1894 - Essex (MA)
1895 - Torresdale-Frankford (PA)
1896 - Myopia Hunt (MA)
1896 - Boston (MA) - question as to whether this reference is to TCC Brookline.
1897 - Winchester (MA)
1897 - Beaver Meadow (9) (NH) f/k/a Concord CC
1898 - Bridgewater (MA)
1898 - Tatnuck (MA)
1898 - Moorestown Field (NJ)
1898 - Wannamoisett (RI)
1898 - Patty Jewett (CO) - There are references to a W. Campbell laying out this course in Colorado Springs.
1898 - Oakley (MA)
1900 - William F. Devine (MA) f/k/a Franklin Park

Dates Unknown:

Quincy (MA)
Worcester (MA)
New Bedford (MA)
Huntingdon Valley (PA)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:00:34 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Rich Goodale

Re: GCAofTD - #15 - Willie Campbell
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »
I'll be in in the Boston area in a few weeks playing Myopia and visiting Winchester (where my parents met and my paternal grandfather was Club Champion in 1913).  I'll sort out all these arguments about Leeds and Campbell (if I have the time and I remember....). ;)
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »
I'll be in in the Boston area in a few weeks playing Myopia and visiting Winchester (where my parents met and my paternal grandfather was Club Champion in 1913).  I'll sort out all these arguments about Leeds and Campbell (if I have the time and I remember....). ;)

Rich

Could you maybe nip down to Merion and sort that one out as well ?

Thanks

Niall

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:31:35 PM »
I tried to get on, Niall, but the course has been taken over by the HWWASTAS* while I'm in the US.

Rich

*the Hugh Wilson WAS The Architect Society
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back