News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Leary

Re: Narrow golf holes
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
"The Narrows" at Chambers Bay is a fun slim-fairwayed hole, but it does tempt you with the option of hitting the big stick with a large width at the green....hit a great drive and you are rewarded with (typically) a tough 2-putt...miss the drive and you are in a world of hurt in the tall-grassed hills...play it save with a 4-5 iron off the tee and have a wedge to the green...if you hit a good wedge you have a reasonable 2-putt or birdie.

Not lots of options, but enough to make it fun.

My only issue with this hole is that there really is no reason to lay up. It is so narrow in the lay up area, it seems like the play is just to give it a go...

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 05:57:09 PM »
At least when I visited in the summer of 2004, the Klondyke did not seem narrow at all because of the way balls fed back into the fairway. 

You must have caught it on a good day.  In '09 the rough on both sides was pretty gnarly.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2010, 01:54:27 AM »
There is a super tight, shortish par four at Prestwick that always got my full attention. Especially in a 50 mile an hour crosswind. I'll never forget a super draw with a 16 degree Raylor that split the fairway in a gale...to which my lovely, gruff caddie softly replied,"Not bad for a Yank." Priceless!
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »
"The Narrows" at Chambers Bay is a fun slim-fairwayed hole, but it does tempt you with the option of hitting the big stick with a large width at the green....hit a great drive and you are rewarded with (typically) a tough 2-putt...miss the drive and you are in a world of hurt in the tall-grassed hills...play it save with a 4-5 iron off the tee and have a wedge to the green...if you hit a good wedge you have a reasonable 2-putt or birdie.

Not lots of options, but enough to make it fun.

My only issue with this hole is that there really is no reason to lay up. It is so narrow in the lay up area, it seems like the play is just to give it a go...

Sean...if into the wind, or if you aren't confident with the big stick that morning, the layup is the smart play leaving an easy but blind wedge in...and the fairway, though narrow has sideboards that funnel the layup into the fairway unless wickedly hooked/sliced.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back