News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Flory

Re: The Story of Overhills
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2020, 06:12:35 PM »
#3.  Slightly uphill par 3 by modern standards, but was called a par 4 then.  This one turns back toward the clubhouse before the 4th continues the outward direction. 

View from tee.  Very difficult hole.  More room to run it up than it appears from the player's perspective.  Uphill, 200+ yards, small green, and some fall offs in every direction.  Bogey waiting to happen. 

Zoomed in a bit:  The bunker/ waster area in the foreground is a spillover from #2. 

View from over the table top green

If you're even par so far, that is quite a start. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:53:28 PM by Peter Flory »

Peter Flory

« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2020, 07:15:56 PM »
The majestic 4th.  Par 5- 509. 

From the tee area:

From first bunker #1

Approaching creek:  Possible angle of approach if you are trying to hit it in two... although you'd be a little ways behind this.

Approach shot if you had to lay up.

Approach shot if you cleared the creek in 2. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:53:51 PM by Peter Flory »

Peter Flory

« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2020, 07:25:09 PM »
5th hole- severely uphill par 3.  Maybe a connector hole. 

From the tee- looking up to the green.  From here, you can only see a little bit of the fairway short of it.  This shot reminds me a little bit of the 8th hole at the U of M course, except that this shot is much more demanding.  Short and left is the only decent miss. 

Side view- elevated.  You can see the little shelf on the fairway that matches the Ross diagram perfectly.  It's still sitting there under the weeds. 

Being in the bunker would be no fun here. 

Nice view of the 6th hole in the distance.  This hole was a climb, but the reward is the big downhill tee shot coming up. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:54:11 PM by Peter Flory »

Peter Flory

Re: The Story of Overhills New
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2020, 07:39:09 PM »
Hole 6.  Big boy hole, but downhill and roomy.  The mound through the fairway is a strategic feature.  I didn't build it up to Ross's specs, but just left what was in the ground and added some long grass to it for now. 

Downhill tee shot. 

From short of right FW bunker:

The mound would be on the left here where I have the long grass.  Would give you a blind approach if you bail out left off the tee. 

Perched up green complex with sunken in bunkers. 

View from over green.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 01:10:37 AM by Peter Flory »

Peter Flory

« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2020, 07:55:35 PM »
Hole 7.  This one changed quite a bit and was difficult to incorporate the changes. 

From the tee:  The #1 bunker is visible on the horizon. 

Elevated view from the left side of the fairway to show the centerline hazard and the mounded waste area to the right of the green.  I don't show the swale in the fairway, but that is another feature of the hole- was just hard to see clearly in the screenshots. 

View from short of green.  #1 is in the background on the left heading towards you and #8 is in the background to the right headed away. 

From behind green looking down fairway.

I like Ross's changes here.  Makes the hole very unique.  I'm always amazed at how willing GA architects were to change their own work and the work of others.  They had a lot of confidence. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:54:52 PM by Peter Flory »

Peter Flory

« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2020, 08:02:01 PM »
Hole 8.  Another Mid Pines beauty.  This is my personal favorite on the front nine.  The beauty of the woods to the right and long with the pine needles is really something.

View from teeing ground:  Slanting fairway toward the pine needles. 

Drone view of #1 on the left and #8 outbound on the right. 

Elevated view of approach.  The bunker here blocked the view slightly from the right side of the fairway I believe if built up to Ross's specs.  This version is watered down due to erosion. 

Approach from the right rough- elevated

Sorry, couldn't help taking so many pics of this one

Seems like a birdie hole, unless you lose your tee shot to the right.  Then, this bunker probably causes the punch out to be a lay up. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:55:12 PM by Peter Flory »

Peter Flory

« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2020, 08:25:20 PM »
Hole 9. Last one until I finish the back nine, which could be a while. 

This hole was the most difficult for me to do because the contours have been scraped and I couldn't import the lidar.  However, luckily there were some very good pictures of the green complex and Ross's diagrams were detailed, so I had enough information to recreate it. 

That's not really what the buildings looked like, but was as close as I could get.  It's representative. 

Zoomed in a little- hard to see, but the road cuts in front of the green and then circles around it.  This has a bit of that 18th at the Old Course dynamic where it returns to civilization, it is flat, and there is a stadium effect. 

View from behind the green.  The green is sort of a cradle, which is a welcome relief from all of the repelling greens on the front. 

I would say that overall, it has a great mix of holes.  1, 3, 5, and 6 seem like they would be the most difficult with modern par conventions- with 1 being a par 4 and 3 being a par 3.  7 and 9 seem medium.  2, 4, and 8 would be potential birdies. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:55:33 PM by Peter Flory »

Brian Ross

« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
This is awesome work, Peter!
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back