News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Dormie Club - Coore & Crenshaw's Best?
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »
When you paint the Mona Lisa every time it’s hard to outdo yourself, but Coore & Crenshaw have done it.  

Dormie Club, just outside of Pinehurst, may very well be their best course.  

No, it didn’t break any molds or launch a whole new wave of golden age architecture like Sand Hills did, but hole for hole it might quite frankly be their best work.

I have played ¾ of Coore and Creenshaw’s courses and I can’t see how Dormie Club is not at the very least tied with Sand Hills for their best, if not THE best.  

Don’t get me wrong, I love Hidden Creek and especially the way it is maintained and think Bandon Trails is intoxicating as it meanders between dunes, meadow and Pacific Northwest forest…but hole for hole, Dormie has to be considered near the top.

It certainly feels like they had the only 300 acres in the Pinehurst sandhills that has that much terrain movement.  It’s really hard to reconcile the flatness of many Pinehurst courses (including Pinehurst #2) with the up and down nature of many of the holes at Dormie.  The variety of uphill, downhill, and sidehill lies makes their normally magical greens even more intriguing.

With exception of Augusta National this might be the best course in the southeastern US and instantly in the top 15-20 in the U.S.

Hole #1
Approach

A nice little par 4 to get the round started.  Downhill off the tee to a set of cross-bunkers and an uncluttered greensite that slopes from back to front.

Hole #2
Tee

Great dogleg left with a challenging inside fairway bunker.

Hole #2
Approach

Hole #3
Tee

Probably my favorite hole on the course.  A great shot par 4 that pleads with the player to hit driver, which only brings the large right side bunkers into play.

Hole #3
Green

As you can see the second shot is the most crucial on this hole.  A green with several distinctive tiers.  If you are not on the correct one you are more than likely three putting (at best).  This puts such a premium on being able to control your approach shot.

Hole #3
Green

This green reminds of the at old Alistair Mackenzie photo of the over the top green at Sitwell Park.  This green is by no means over the top, especially for such a short hole, it simply mandates the player find the right plateau on their approach.

Hole #4
Tee shot
Great par 4 that sweeps down and around to the left.

Hole #4
Approach

Hole #4
Looking Back

Hole #5
Tee
One of the most tranquil settings I have experienced on a golf course.  Really an amazing spot.  I have heard that Bill Coore said he “doesn’t do water” but they have really figured out how to incorporate this lake into both a beautiful backdrop for your approach to #4 as well as your tee shot on #5.

Hole #6
Width!

Hole #6
Fairway

This fairway has to be over 100 yards wide in spots.  Which didn’t keep me from missing it.

Hole #6
Green

Great little scar bunkers that Coore and Crenshaw are becoming famous for.

Hole #7
Medium length par 3 across a waste area with a small stream running through it.  If you stare at it long enough I suppose you can see some reverse Redan characteristics.

Hole #8
Tee

Tee shot up over a ridge to a fairway that runs down to the left.

Hole #8
Second

Hole #8
Approach

Hole #9

As I have said before it seems to be a lost art to build a short par 3, especially a great one like Ballyneal #3 or Hidden Creek #11, however Dormie has two.  #9 and #12 are wonderful short par 3 holes.  Who said hitting a pitching wedge on a par 3 can’t be very fun (and challenging)!

Hole #10
Approach

Here the approach reminds me a lot of the approach at Bandon Trails #9 with its lack of clutter and green set right at fairway height.

Hole #10
Green

Hole #11
Tee

Its here you hear the words Pine Valley start to be spoken.  There are several holes from this point on that really remind you of Pine Valley’s scrubby waste areas more than any other place on the course.

Hole #11
Approach

Hole# 12
Tee

A fabulous short par 3 that has a well bunkered green that has numerous small tiers for some really challenging pin placements.

Hole #14
Tee

A drivable par 4 with a massive front right bunker that eats up all those who try  to be a hero.  Somewhat reminds me of #14 at Bandon Trails.  Two folks in our group made bogey or worse from inside 100 yards.

Hole #15
Tee

Wow!  What a great tee shot.  A cape style hole that really makes you shape a shot off the bunkers straight off the tee or take the more aggressive direct line that brings the scrubby waste area very much into play.  You really have to make your mind up off the tee on what you are trying to do, otherwise the indecision will lead to a big big number.  Just ask….

Hole #15
Green

Hole #16
Tee

Hole #16
Green

Something about this green reminded me of a Biarritz without the front pad.

Hole #17
Tee

Certainly one of the most dramatic holes on the course.  Medium length par 5 that really goes up hill on the approach shot.

Hole #17
Approach

You can really see that the fairway is well (maybe 50-60 feet) below the green.

Hole #17
Uphill

Hole #17

Hole #17
Looking Back

Hole #18
Approach

Hole #18
Looking Back

In summary, if you get a chance to see Dormie Club you have to take it.  It is the best in Pinehurst, the state of North Carolina and probably 2nd or 3rd (I haven’t played Seminole) in the Southeast.  Amazing place!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:17:04 PM by Chip Gaskins »

Jim Eder

Re: Dormie Club - Coore & Crenshaw's Best?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:19:29 PM »
Wonderful photos, it looks terrific. Thanks for sharing!!

Jim Eder

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 06:22:25 PM »
How firm and fast did it play? Some of the fairways seem to tilt pretty nicely.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:09:32 PM »
Looks fantastic.  W&L's mid-Winter Term break is towards the end of February and the team is set to play our first tournament of the Spring at Pine Needles.  It looks like it may be worth trying to go there a day early in order to play Dormie Club (I had read it is actually open to the public currently; this is still correct, right?).
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
#15 green reminds me a lot of the numerous greens at C&C's first course, Barton Creek (TX), in the way it's just draped over the existing terrain.

Are there any front to back sloping greens?

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
Amazing how similar their courses are looking.....Clear Creek without the views?

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »
Wow.........................  I had a trip planned to the area a few weeks ago that had to be cancelled b/c of work...now I'm even more anxious to make it up there.

Is it open to the public or for limited play? 

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »
Chip

I love how C&C allow run-up approaches to a lot of their greens. There's almost a Pine Valleyish look to some of those holes.

David_Elvins

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 08:43:14 PM »
Thanks for the tour Chip, its fantastic that they got the course finished.

Do you have any photos of the greens at 9 and 12? 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ben Sims

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 08:52:30 PM »
Chip,

There goes C&C building courses "at grade" with the land and allowing the golfer to experience "friendly blindness".   They are two of their tricks that I enjoy the most.  They also do a fantastic job of handing you over a huge bailout area on most approach shots, and then visually making you want to hit towards trouble.

Aesthetically, give that course some maturation and it could be the best looking course in the southeast.

John Blain

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »
Looks great. Anyone know if this is public, private, greens fees, accessibility?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »
My experience with C&C courses - and this one looks to be the same - is that you are SO much better to be on line and short than hole high and just wide. Their courses really test your course management skills.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 11:59:41 PM »
Amazing how similar their courses are looking.....Clear Creek without the views?

I have to agree. I don't see anything compelling to get on a plane to fly across the country to play it. The one thing I am sure is that it is well built, the workmanship almost perfect.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 01:28:33 AM »
Chip, several people said on earlier threads that a fair amount of detail work remains, that would bring the course up to its full potential.  Any thoughts/comments about that? 

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 07:29:22 AM »
Are the greens as flat as they look in these pictures?

I will also agree that there seems to be a certain amount of sameness.  The tee shot on the 6th pictured here is very reminiscent of the 7th at Sugarloaf Mountain.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Chris Buie

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 07:41:52 AM »
JC, many of the greens do appear sort of flat in the photos (3 and 12 being among the exceptions) - but they all have what I would describe as subtle movement.  For instance, the 202 yard 16th encourages you to land just short of the green.  There is a gentle spine running vertically down the middle of that green which will swing the rolling ball one way or the other.  If you look at the fourth hole from the fairway it looks like everything will break to the right - but it actually breaks left in places.  
Believe me, the greens there have plenty of interesting things going on.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 07:45:20 AM by Chris Buie »

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 08:08:43 AM »
Don't be fooled, there is an awful lot going on in these greens.
Played two weeks ago with two groups of solid players and to a man everyone enjoyed the course immensely.
Chip, the only hole that the group was lukewarm about was 15.  It seems as though the tee should be set further left.  In its present location the angle isn't much to contend with and a straight 3 wood leaves a reasonably short shot in. 
All in, however, the course is outstanding.

Jeff Dawson

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 09:03:36 AM »
Don't be fooled, there is an awful lot going on in these greens.
Played two weeks ago with two groups of solid players and to a man everyone enjoyed the course immensely.
Chip, the only hole that the group was lukewarm about was 15.  It seems as though the tee should be set further left.  In its present location the angle isn't much to contend with and a straight 3 wood leaves a reasonably short shot in.  
All in, however, the course is outstanding.

Rory-

Good call on 15.  Two years ago after it was built I was standing on the forward tee with Bill Coore and he suggested he liked that angle better.  The wetlands restrictions and the water left of the back tees prevented those tees from moving further left.  

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:02:52 AM by Jeff Dawson »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 09:05:14 AM »

With exception of Augusta National this might be the best course in the southeastern US and instantly in the top 15-20 in the U.S.

Chip,
       If it is possible, you just made me want to play DC even more than I already did.

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 09:28:25 AM »

Chip,
       If it is possible, you just made me want to play DC even more than I already did.

Thanks for the pictures and report Chip. High praise indeed!

I've heard from some friends who have played it recently and they all said it's very good. But for some reason I find it hard to think it's top 10 (!!!) in the U.S. from the pictures. More reason to head out and see it for myself next time I'm down there :)

Also, DC isn't the only course in Pinehurst that has some movement in the land, both courses at Forest Creek has some nice elevation change and generally plays over rolling terrain.
H.P.S.

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »

Chip,

Have you played Old Town?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 10:23:19 AM »
Great tour there Chip, thanks! There's a lot to like about the presentation of this golf course.  Subtle movement, sandy soil, gorgeous bunkering...it's great to hear it has come together so well.

Your remark about Dormie possibly being Coore & Crenshaw's best reminded me of Bart Bradley's similar comment regarding the course from a couple of years ago, so I went and dug that one up from a previous thread.

It will not surprise me in the least if The Dormie surpasses Sand Hills as the #1 Crenshaw and Coore course but time will tell....I only was able to play 7 holes ....although the short par 3 12th (not yet playable) was another gem.

Bart

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 11:19:38 AM »
How firm and fast did it play? Some of the fairways seem to tilt pretty nicely.

Jim

As you know with bermuda grass (versus fescue) it is hard to get it super bouncy but yes, it was firm and fast.  Several shots I played 20 yards short and bumped a 8 iron in from 120-130 yards, which is fun.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »
#15 green reminds me a lot of the numerous greens at C&C's first course, Barton Creek (TX), in the way it's just draped over the existing terrain.

Are there any front to back sloping greens?

Bill- #8 is as close to front to back as I think there is and its really more side hill

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »
Chip

I love how C&C allow run-up approaches to a lot of their greens. There's almost a Pine Valleyish look to some of those holes.

Kevin

Pine Valley comes up a lot, especially on the middle of the back nine.  There is a lot more width at Dormie though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back