News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Taylor

Re: Summary of 09-27-10 Mountain Ridge event
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 04:54:10 PM »
Feels like I was there.
Thanks for the rap up gentlemen.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »
Brad,

All of this leads me to ask about the next edition of "Discovering Donald Ross"

When will it be available ?

Will Plainfield and Mountain Ridge be included ?

Mountain Ridge is celebrating it's centenial and the club is gathering historical data and putting together a book.

I would imagine that they have an abundance of photos and archival materials, including Ross field drawings, that you could use.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »
Glen "I'm not Rappoport" would've won any medal event with I believe 3 birdies.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Madison

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
To all of yesterday's participants:  I'm compiling a roster of all who attended, so that we can keep in touch, especially for those of us who traveled from some distance away and met many of you for the first time. If you'd like to be included, please e-mail me at david@4madisons.com. Please include name, phone number, e-mail address, and home town.

And yes, I was part of that wonderful six-some, a witness to true history. It was amazing to watch how we all got around the course in four hours, recovering from a multitude of rain-induced goofy shots. And listening to some of the insights and observations about the course from our host, Ran, Brad, and Cliff was an absolute treat. 

There was one huge benefit from the rain. It helped bring out a very subtle demarkation line between the old, rounded off green edges and the expansions. It was the best example I've ever seen of how a genius architect working with a extremely talented super can add so much life to a greens complex.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
The excellent staff of Mountain Ridge, Pat, Brad, Ron, Mike and Cliff all did an absolutely exceptional job of showcasing the club, course and the relevancy of GCA.com (despite Mother Nature's attempt to put a damper on it)!

As others here have mentioned, Mountain Ridge is one of golf's greatest examples of restorative glory. So many of us in the Garden State have, for the past few years, scratched our heads over why it hasn't received the attention is so richly deserves.* I suspect that within the next two years, that will have changed for good. Until then, those of us lucky enough to get there frequently will cherish every visit.

*Proving to me, once again, how inadequate and pathetic past State & Regional ratings are.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Michael Blake

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 02:39:31 PM »
Thanks to Mr. Mucci for a wonderful event.  Very well-planned and executed.
Mountain Ridge seems to be a model club.

And thanks to Cliff Moore.  His Q & A session after our round was great.  His responses were thoughtful and clear.
It's obvious that he has excellent communicative skills---an imperitive tool when attempting to explain or inform the membership of maitenance practices/issues or to simply keep them abreast of news.

I'm sure that the members appreciate his service.

Billsteele

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 02:52:02 PM »
Let me also add my thanks to Pat, Brad, Ron, Mike, Cliff and the staff at Mountain Ridge for what was a tremendous event. The speakers were informative and interesting. The staff was welcoming and accomodating. The golf course terrific. It is these types of events and the interaction with other members on this board that remind me what a great resource GCA is.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »
Many thanks to Kim Fitzgerald too!

Pat Burke

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »
I spent many a late afternoon playing holes before dark at Mountain Ridge.
So glad your event went well, it is a special place

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »
Scott and JC,

What you don't understand is that there's no glory in beating Ran by giving him the differential in our handicaps.

That's no challenge whatsoever.

I want to give him 9, 10, 11 and 12 shots and beat him.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 08:54:07 AM »
Pat,

There is an art to anything done well. You, your superb club, and the staff there really nailed it all day. Given a challenging day weather-wise, the greens still rolled with some pace. The fare and hosting was excellent. I can't recall ever having listened to a more interesting, engaging panel, on any topic, in one sitting. The gathering had a wonderful, warm, congenial quality to it.

Thank you... for having organized and offered... to all of us, participation in this wonderful event. For me, it has left an indelible impression and renewed appreciation for all that this forum delivers, on so many levels, when we give the very best of ourselves to each other. Our game, and society in general, benefits tremendously, from these all to infrequent special moments.

A toast to you sir!

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »
I might make a bunch of bogeys and doubles, but for a guy over 50, DAMN I've got good hair!

Patrick, you are the quintessential host.  Who did you hire to play the role of Tom Paul?  The TP I met was charming, lucid  and reserved.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 04:03:16 PM »
Kris,

Thanks.

I enjoyed putting the event together.

Like any event, the speakers are a, if not THE critical element and I think we succeeded nicely in that department.

Mountain Ridge is a great golf course, with great conditions and the staff did a terrific job in making everyone feel welcome.

I'm sorry that I didn't get to spend enough time with everyone, but, I was busy trying to make sure that everything ran smoothly and to everyone's satisfaction.  So, I appologize if I didn't get a chance to schmooze with everyone.

I think I'll do it again, either in 2011 or 2012

Mike Hendren,

That's his identical twin brother, Drexel Paul.
TEPaul couldn't get a work release furlough on Monday.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:04:47 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

JC Jones

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
Bogey,

When I think of you I think of a lot of positive things but none of them have anything to do with your hair.  Of course I am a prematurely bald 31 year old so perhaps I block these things out purposefully for emotional reasons.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Matt_Davenport

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 04:58:02 PM »
Pat,
To re-iterate the comments of many I'd like to thank you, our speakers, and the staff of Mountain Ridge for a wonderful day of fellowship. I couldn't think of a better way to spend a day at the golf course than with an assemblage of our GCA cast of characters. While of course there were the GCA regulars, but it was equally exciting to meet many who I've never met before such as Brian Brown who gave New York's criminals the day off by joining us, Phil Young who shared his passion for truth in research with me and my guest over breakfast, David Madison, the NC golf slut who shared his passage from Chapel Hill with us at lunch, to name just a few. I was joined on the course by my guest, John Burger of Madison, NJ and Corey, a GCA lurker living in Montville, NJ. We were all amazed by the amount of green space re-captured by Cliff Moore with the assistance of Ron Prichard. We couldn't believe the speed of greens with the turf being as wet as it was during the day's rain. The pin positions were very much appreciated, although I couldn't help bu laugh as both John and I hit many an approach shot to a front pin that chose to exit the green before we could put a mark on it. I support the name change to Runupandmarkit as suggested by Joe B and MCirba. I'd relish the opportunity to give it another go on a dry day; afterall, I need to birdie one more par three (#4) ;D.
Matt

Doug Wright

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 05:28:10 PM »
Patrick,

Congratulations on a terrific event!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2010, 06:48:26 PM »
I think those who braved the rain to play Mountain Ridge will be happy to know that the greens are running at warp speed and that a good many trees have been removed since your visit.

Ron, Cliff, the Green Chairman/committee and Board continue with their efforts to improve the course and how it plays.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back