News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan King

Re: Has elitism ruined golf?
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
I'd say just the opposite. Elitism can save golf. What has hurt golf in rule making, equipment and GCA is the attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator. We need a return to elitism. We need golfers that understand the spirit of the game.

Cheers,
Dan King
Elitism - It's lonely at the top. But it's comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom.
 --Larry Kersten

Carl Rogers

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »
Carl R:

I wouldn't call making a trip to Bandon elitism. It may well be costing you a considerable amount of money, but by making the effort to travel such a distance, does it not demonstrate that golf is your purpose for going there. From what I've read here, Bandon is about golf and not about who has the most expensive car in the car park, or who paid USD100,000 to join the club. I'm also sure that you're not going there with the purpose of returning home and name dropping "Bandon" at every opportunity. Please say it ain't so ;)
Donal,
For those that know me, I do not "drop" names.  I am just looking at the trip a the culmination of playing golf for more than 40 years and having the means finally to do it.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »
On porpoise?  You are making a whale of an assumption there, Mikey.

Jeff,

I can't believe you actually typed that out for the world to see.
Dum!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2010, 11:52:36 PM »
Our whole society is elitist and golf just reflects society.
 If you don't like it, put on Caddyshack have a good laugh at it! :D

If I think Caddyshack is the stupidest movie ever produced, am I an elitist? Or, do I just have a brain?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2010, 11:58:36 PM »
... From my world, we need these gated communities to keep these types locked in.  

Thanks Dave,

Best laugh I have had on this site in some time.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2010, 01:35:45 PM »

The Caddyshack World is GCA.com where members do not write or speak to each other, where hostilities break out at a drop of a hat. The self-administering site that has no heart for forgiveness,  be it the opinions or attitudes of others.

The elitist riding their carts utilising every aid available in the hope of propping up their standing in the world of GCA. Yet when the subject of history rears its head many feel that rating the clubs is far more important leaving one to wonder what the ‘A’ in GCA. No iGarland t’s not that as there is no H

GCA.com is the modern equivalent of Leo Tolstoy War and Peace, an epic story but told by nearly 1500 writers, so we should expect alternative attitudes, the occasional outbreak of war, mini skirmishes  and some casualties.

Nevertheless, elitists emanating from carts or from behind a distance aids are the most despicable due to the individuals not caring a jot for the Game of Golf.

War and Peace was also co-written by The R&A and some assistance from the elders of GCA.com.

We will now see how many of the 1500 have a sense of humour or a vicious elitist streak – Have a nice day

Melvyn

PS The Society for the Preservation of Golf will be having a gathering at the Martyrs Monument in St Andrews on the 31/10/2010 for ”A Burning”. Please be generous and donate your carts and distance aids so that our ‘Burning’ will be the talk of decades to come. Caution is required as we have been advised that some Members of The Society for the Perversion of Golf will also be attending in the hope of pouring water upon our entertainment. Please note that although adjacent TOC the handicap system will not apply that night so take as many shots as you like. 

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2010, 03:52:25 PM »
While golf has had an elitist component since its early evolution, the opportunity for a go by the common man has always been present. Those that caddied, kept the greens, made the clubs and balls etc. , were rarely of the upper class, yet they were critical in sustaining the game and fostering golf.

The first true professionals, in the main, were the caddies. They in fact, quickly became the best players, once they had more opportunity and time to play and hone their respective games. This was quite irritating to the monied gents, so to thwart the coarse interlopers from making off with the hardware, they instituted rules and conditions, for those that derived their living from the game, that prevented them from playing in amateur compeitions. This shameful practice continued until 1940 in the U.S., when the USGA finally recinded the pathetic ban, of those that worked as caddies after 20, from competing in amateur competitions.

While the top tier, great clubs will always have a proud air about them to some degree, it does seem to have dissipated some. It is the "poser" clubs that really rankle; they don't have the true goods of greatness, but try, with futility, to foist themselves as something special.

Public golf has always been available in some form. Long may it continue! To me, the idea that affordable golf automatically implies lesser quality is nonsense. That is the challenge for our game in the future. Create the best we can... without breaking the bank. That is why I would encourage all GCA'er's to attend the November event being hosted by Richard, Ran and the gang. If we really give a damn, this topic should be as desired of our attendence as the superb Muccifest held recently. I hope to meet some more cronies, from the wonderful GCA band, that recognize we all can learn and contribute something to this most pressing issue facing golf.

Cheers, Kris 8)

"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

George Pazin

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2010, 04:17:18 PM »
I call elitism the "over the top stuff"  and how far we take it...
For example a few weeks ago I was at a prominent club in San Francisco...the thing that impressed me the most was when the shop said bring your bag over here and we will get you a caddy...yet most of the "wanna be" clubs qould have three guys grabbing your clubs, cleaning your clubs and carrying them to the caddy shack....
Today am at a place a guy stays on the range to clena your clubs everytime you sit one on the ground...come on....

I wouldn't call this elitism, I'd call it stupidity. At best, it's someone who wants to be thought of as elite, without earning it.

I'd scoff at the notion that anything could "ruin" golf...except perhaps government. (apologies in advance to Garland...)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JC Jones

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
While golf has had an elitist component since its early evolution, the opportunity for a go by the common man has always been present. Those that caddied, kept the greens, made the clubs and balls etc. , were rarely of the upper class, yet they were critical in sustaining the game and fostering golf.

The first true professionals, in the main, were the caddies. They in fact, quickly became the best players, once they had more opportunity and time to play and hone their respective games. This was quite irritating to the monied gents, so to thwart the coarse interlopers from making off with the hardware, they instituted rules and conditions, for those that derived their living from the game, that prevented them from playing in amateur compeitions. This shameful practice continued until 1940 in the U.S., when the USGA finally recinded the pathetic ban, of those that worked as caddies after 20, from competing in amateur competitions.

While the top tier, great clubs will always have a proud air about them to some degree, it does seem to have dissipated some. It is the "poser" clubs that really rankle; they don't have the true goods of greatness, but try, with futility, to foist themselves as something special.

Public golf has always been available in some form. Long may it continue! To me, the idea that affordable golf automatically implies lesser quality is nonsense. That is the challenge for our game in the future. Create the best we can... without breaking the bank. That is why I would encourage all GCA'er's to attend the November event being hosted by Richard, Ran and the gang. If we really give a damn, this topic should be as desired of our attendence as the superb Muccifest held recently. I hope to meet some more cronies, from the wonderful GCA band, that recognize we all can learn and contribute something to this most pressing issue facing golf.

Cheers, Kris 8)

Kris,

I must have missed it.  What November event do you speak of?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back