News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Re: Early Pics of Doak / C&C project in FL?
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2010, 09:40:14 AM »
Glad to be of service:  ;D

Jim Nugent

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2010, 09:47:12 AM »
It will be neat to see what kind of composite course, if any, comes out of this. 

Tony Weiler

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
What a great project from two great firms!  The excitement in the treehouse may be hard to contain.  This may overshadow the Merion threads!

Now the question remains, after this Doak design, will all of Florida remain a Doak 0?   ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Will there be a small boat to get the golfer across the pond?

JC, there is a course called Brocket Hall just outside the M25 NW of London.  There is a 70-100 yard wide river that runs through it.  You ride a self-propelled boat across from the pro shop to the first tee and later from 18th hole second landing area to the green side.  Then you ride back across to the pro shop.  There is a big arched bridge that you cross the river on three other times.  Peter Allis designed the course about 20 years ago.  Pretty cool boat rides, better than several of the golf holes.

Here's the ferry:

Eric Smith

« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »

I don't know about you guys but THIS really does send shivers down my spine. Kudos to the person or persons behind the vision. Judging from the pics and knowing the quality of the teams involved, this property will yield Florida's two greatest golf courses imo. I'm not talking 'lists' greatest (though they likely will be up there at or near the top someday), I'm talking 'golf' greatest. Think John Kirk's definition of seeing the golf ball react to the ground. I've only learned it this year and will look nay further for any other kind. :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:09:58 AM by Eric Smith »

JC Jones

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2010, 11:12:53 AM »
What a great project from two great firms!  The excitement in the treehouse may be hard to contain.  This may overshadow the Merion threads!

Now the question remains, after this Doak design, will all of Florida remain a Doak 0?   ;)

95% of it still will be.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2010, 11:16:13 AM »
Tom,

Can you tell us anything about that big 'hill' off in the distance? Will there be golf around it?

John Kirk

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2010, 11:23:27 AM »
Great picture, Bart.  That shows the landforms much better.

For anybody who may have misinterpreted my remarks, it was an attempt at sarcasm.

JC Jones

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2010, 11:29:18 AM »
Eric,

A drop shot par 3 over water brings "shivers" up your spine?  
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Jim Colton

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »

Tom, is that a bunker scratched out front right?

Norbert P

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2010, 01:05:37 PM »

http://www.theledger.com/article/20101117/NEWS/11175082/1410?Title=Fore-Mosaic-Plans-Resort#

Looks like a great opportunity to showcase what golf can do FOR the environment.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Eric Smith

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2010, 01:14:25 PM »
Eric,

A drop shot par 3 over water brings "shivers" up your spine?  

Dude -- I am moved by the landforms shown in the picture! That is not the Florida I've been seeing for 30 years! Whether or not this particular shot is categorized as a 'drop shot' is irrelevant to me as I am not a hater of such things. I will be thrilled to someday place my peg in the ground here on this beauty of a hole and then sending a hooking Titleist off to explore the junk high up on the big dune to the left, just like in the sand hills of Colorado and Nebraska and so on.

PCCraig

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »

That's a pretty cool looking hole (water or not). Reminds me of #9 at Yale?
H.P.S.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »
Imagine where the next tee box could be!!!

Man, it would have been cool to see this thing come around from day one.  Finding the holes, figuring out the routing, detailing it all as it comes together.  I am jealous/envious.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Norbert P

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2010, 01:37:06 PM »

Interesting routing with both courses interlaced together.  

Who's red and who's blue?          (Not a political question)

If I were to take a guess, I'd put $2 on C&C taking the red perimeter routing.

http://www.streamsongresort.com/gallery/hr/siteplan.jpg
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

JC Jones

« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »

Interesting routing with both courses interlaced together.  

Who's red and who's blue?          (Not a political question)

If I were to take a guess, I'd put $2 on C&C taking the red perimeter routing.

http://www.streamsongresort.com/gallery/hr/siteplan.jpg

Looking at the routing, the hole Tom posted would be on the Blue so you would be the $2 winner.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »
Slag:

Good guess.  I gave Bill the choice between the two courses, because In truth about 24 of the 36 holes were ones that he came up with first ... remarkably, NOT including #7 on the blue course pictured above.  He chose the Red course, supposedly on the basis of Jimbo Wright telling him to pick the course where there was more earthmoving (I.e. More work for Jimbo) involved.  The first four holes of the Red course are in some seriously big stuff ... I just got a glimpse of #1 yesterday, it reminds me of the first at Portrush, but with a much more dramatic tee shot.

My crew has done a lot of chuckling that we are the Blue course and Ben is red ... probably a fairly accurate representation of the politics there!  However, I doubt the two will wind up being Red and Blue in the end, there will probably be more marketable names so they can sell some shirts.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
Tom,

Can you tell us anything about that big 'hill' off in the distance? Will there be golf around it?

Eric: 

That hill is a giant pile of material from one of the other phosphate mines in the area.  I think it is maybe four miles as the crow flies ... and I am not sure if it belongs to Mosaic or not, as there are a couple of other companies neighboring the property.  But the golf stops well short of there.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2010, 01:55:53 PM »
 I like drop shot par 3s, and I can't think of many that will be cooler than that.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2010, 02:01:58 PM »
Tom

How many forced carried over water will there be on the course, or on how many holes does water play a major role?

Eric Smith

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2010, 02:04:07 PM »

scott_wood

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2010, 02:08:51 PM »
google (not sweeney) says 48 miles.....mt lake/raynor to c&c/doak....

heaven  8)

Yes but Sweeney calculates his distances in helicopter miles.

Mike has been known,with his unassuming manner, to "fly under the radar"...sometimes...
but for a transplanted New Yorker, he sure knows his way around Central Fl.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2010, 02:12:51 PM »
Tom

How many forced carried over water will there be on the course, or on how many holes does water play a major role?

Ross,

On our course, the tee shot on #3 requires a diagonal carry, the seventh you've seen now, the second shot on #12 has a carry if you are trying to get home in two, the 13th has water lurking left, and the tee shot on #14 is a big diagonal carry.

On Bill's course, I think water is in play on the first tee shot and on #2 ... the mining operation changed the landscape considerably over there ..and then on holes 5 and 7 and 13 and 16.  But very few of Bill's holes require any carry from the middle tees, as far as I have seen to date.

JC Jones

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2010, 02:54:34 PM »

My crew has done a lot of chuckling that we are the Blue course and Ben is red ... probably a fairly accurate representation of the politics there!  However, I doubt the two will wind up being Red and Blue in the end, there will probably be more marketable names so they can sell some shirts.

Like Cousin Eddie at the buffet in National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation:

"I'll take a little bit of the red and a little bit of the blue"

Will Smith

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
Tom,

Does your course have a semi-remote start and finish?

- Will

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back