News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: Streamsong Construction Pics
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2012, 01:22:06 PM »
Landscape budget?  We have just transplanted a few bushes around here and there.

Or do you mean the maintenance budget in the "native" areas?  I'm not sure Rusty knows the answer to that question yet.

Jud_T

« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2012, 01:33:24 PM »
Greg,

Agree that the par 3 look fantastic.  Guess that's their signature hole...     ;D
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Greg Tallman

« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2012, 01:35:32 PM »
Landscape budget?  We have just transplanted a few bushes around here and there.

Or do you mean the maintenance budget in the "native" areas?  I'm not sure Rusty knows the answer to that question yet.

So the landscape will be wide open sand as shown in some of the photos?

George Freeman

« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2012, 08:24:07 PM »
Wow!  :o 

Looks awesome!

Some of those shots look like the newly remodeled Pinehurst #2.  Very cool.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Tom_Doak

« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2012, 08:37:11 PM »

Greg:

There will be a lot of sand showing, but there are also various native grasses [and invasive species!] which have grown over a large portion of the area between holes.  We'll keep as much of that stuff as we can, but where it eats too many golf balls, they will be scraping it up [or using Roundup] on a regular basis.

The golf couse covers a lot of ground -- there are only a couple of places where it's even remotely possible to hit it onto another hole by accident, and the fairways are very generous for the most part.  I'd guess a good player won't see the open sand too often, and the average players will be glad it's there.  Hopefully the visitors won't demand that it's all polished to perfection.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #180 on: March 02, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »
Weren't architects saying 20 years ago that there were hardly any good sites (and no links sites) left? All I see is Tom Doak getting one breath-taking site after another!
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Howard Riefs

« Reply #181 on: March 02, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »

There will be a lot of sand showing, but there are also various native grasses [and invasive species!] which have grown over a large portion of the area between holes.  We'll keep as much of that stuff as we can, but where it eats too many golf balls, they will be scraping it up [or using Roundup] on a regular basis.

Does any of the sand play as a waste area?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »
This looks an awesome project, and I look forward to a trip to Florida in the next couple of years.

What the heck though, are those strange landforms to the east of the property seen on Google Earth?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »

Greg:

The golf couse covers a lot of ground -- there are only a couple of places where it's even remotely possible to hit it onto another hole by accident, and the fairways are very generous for the most part.  I'd guess a good player won't see the open sand too often, and the average players will be glad it's there.  Hopefully the visitors won't demand that it's all polished to perfection.

Is it a little bit of "we'll have to wait and see what grows up with the overspray and decide what to keep and what to 'manage'" type of thing? As i recall the early photos of tyour cool little par 3 was barrne sand and now the photos show some pretty wild vegetation and landscape surrounding the green. I assume that did not just happen.

Brian Ross

« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
This looks an awesome project, and I look forward to a trip to Florida in the next couple of years.

What the heck though, are those strange landforms to the east of the property seen on Google Earth?

Duncan, that area with the long parallel ponds to the east of Streamsong was mined for phosphate as well.  Here is an aerial picture of a similar former phosphate mine. 

Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
Brian:

That stuff in the foreground is exactly like one of the "other" sites that Bill and I were offered on which to build the second golf course originally.  That's why we worked so hard to fit 36 holes onto the site we had!  I don't know the full story behind the "sand piles" site that we chose, but the sand was piled much higher and deeper there than what is normally left over in the mining process ... it was some sort of staging area or something I think.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »

Is it a little bit of "we'll have to wait and see what grows up with the overspray and decide what to keep and what to 'manage'" type of thing? As i recall the early photos of tyour cool little par 3 was barrne sand and now the photos show some pretty wild vegetation and landscape surrounding the green. I assume that did not just happen.

Greg:

A little bit, although in most places there was something already growing, we've just got to see whether it turns into a jungle or not.  It's a lot thicker in the summer than in winter, that could be the difference in the two photos you saw.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back