News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Grant Saunders

Re: The Importance of Trees
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »
Grant

So you do not like Links courses, they are boring for you 'I couldnt imagine if all courses had no trees or all courses had trees. How boring would that be'.

Yet for me Golf is a Links game and trees on courses are a curse on the design and upon the on going course maintenance

Melvyn

Please point to exactly where in my post I say that I dont like links courses.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 01:43:53 PM »
Grant,

As an analogy, Melvyn's claims about links golf is kinda like saying real ice cream is only vanilla.  Anything other than vanilla ice cream is not ice cream.

I feel sorry for him, cause his narrow beliefs are robbing him of a much fuller and satisfying existence...its actually a pity because I think Mel does provide some good insight otherwise from time to time.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 01:37:59 AM »
Grant,

As an analogy, Melvyn's claims about links golf is kinda like saying real ice cream is only vanilla.  Anything other than vanilla ice cream is not ice cream.

I feel sorry for him, cause his narrow beliefs are robbing him of a much fuller and satisfying existence...its actually a pity because I think Mel does provide some good insight otherwise from time to time.

I was beginning to compose an expansive missive saying exactlty the same thing but Kalen said it better in far fewer words.

As to trees, new blood on our greens committe and a change of head greenkeeper has led to a drastic campaign of tree removal at Reddish Vale. The improvement is visible already, and when the heather and gorse regain a foothold we will get back some of the heathland feel that the land would have had when MacKenzie first walked it 100 years ago.

Some of our older members of course, are appalled!

???

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »
Grant,

As an analogy, Melvyn's claims about links golf is kinda like saying real ice cream is only vanilla.  Anything other than vanilla ice cream is not ice cream.

I was beginning to compose an expansive missive saying exactlty the same thing but Kalen said it better in far fewer words.

As to trees, new blood on our greens committe and a change of head greenkeeper has led to a drastic campaign of tree removal at Reddish Vale. The improvement is visible already, and when the heather and gorse regain a foothold we will get back some of the heathland feel that the land would have had when MacKenzie first walked it 100 years ago.

Some of our older members of course, are appalled!

???

Duncan,

beware of what you wish for as you might get it ;)

Jon

Grant Saunders

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
Grant,

Kalen

As Duncan says, thanks for putting that so well.

Sometimes I think Melvyn believes we are all part of a great conspiracy and planning a mass assault on The Old Course by driving around it in golf carts following paths programmed into their GPS units whilst planting hundreds of trees at precisely measured intervals that we will confirm with our laser rangefinders!!!!!

I picture him as a lone figure of resistance (think Arnold Schwarzenegger in Commando or Running Man) single handedly taking down all those who dare threaten the Old Lady armed with hickory barreled guns and grenades disguised as featheries. He deftly manoeuvres around the landscape, showcasing his enviable level of fitness from all those years from walking while golfing, hiding in the deep bunkers (not those modern shallow ones where he would easily be seen) and emerging like a whiskey soaked jack in the box swearing and cursing.

At the crucial moment where it appears the enemy (ie the other 6.5 billion people in the world who fail to share his exact views on golf, architecture, sustainable energy, who really shot JFK, etc) is about to overpower our hero, he is able to channel the spirit of Old Tom through an ancient form of meditation learnt while travelling the barren outer limits of South Uist.

With this supernatural boost he unleashes a flurry of opinion and successfully manages to bore the attackers into submission by talking down to them and repeating his same message over and over to until their poor brains can no longer handle it and they are simply too drained to fight.

PS Melvyn, if you are reading this, we have an expression in our country called taking the piss out of someone. Look it up.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:37:53 PM by Grant Saunders »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »

Grant

Take the Piss, fine. But just play real golf and stop taking the piss out of the game too. That a saying from St Andrews. 

Melvyn

PS Its quite depressing seeing how many of you guys need help to play golf, I thought that as one matures one puts away childish toys, but alas that does not seem to be the case. That’s another saying in my country.  Great we can laugh about things. ;D

Matt Vandelac

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2012, 12:24:01 AM »
Melvyn-
I'm with you.  And I'm from tree country.  We don't have many layouts that trees don't dominate the terrain.  Golf holes IMHO shouldn't rely on trees for strategy and difficulty, they're temporary (see Winged Foot).  If an architect cannot design and build a golf hole without incorporating trees, they need to find something else to do.  There are cool holes that trees come into play, I agree, but I'd be content  playing in Melvynland.  Trees competing with turf for food and sun need to be trimmed at the ground. 

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2012, 12:51:49 PM »
Further to my comments above about tree removal at our place the weekly newsletter from our excellent pro expands on the plans.

http://online.retailtribe.com/client/onlineeditor/pMailer.aspx?n=5054739&r=408

This really is a step in the right direction IMO.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
Kalen

You have understood nothing, again trying to put words in my mouth. Hell links golf is far from a singular experience, it’s nothing like vanilla if anything it encompasses all the colours of a rainbow. Golf if you let it – by that I mean use your own senses (not aids of any sort) in conjunction with your mind and body will reward the golfer far more that playing with assistance. That’s my message all along – the golfer vs. the course, the designer and Nature.

Christ, Kalen I am being moaned at for being repetitive yet you still can’t pick up my point.

My beliefs are far from narrow as I seek all golfers to open their minds, eyes and heart to the game, throw out all those things that water the real experience down so you feel the great joy and excitement of playing golf.  In that I include courses that are by definition more nature than bulldozer, that reflect Nature and the surrounding land, are easily sustainable and have not cost the owner or club its financial future by over the top cost to design and build. Yes as it has been played pre 1940’s.

The modern game is weak, its encourager’s weak play and some rather weak and horrible designs too. Is this what you and many others stand for? Hell I hope not

Melvyn  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:54:52 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
MHM:

Your arguments are not only repetitive, they are close-minded, dogmatic and, using your word, WEAK.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2012, 02:52:19 PM »

Terry

Yet again you add zero to the subject matter in hand, for all my faults I talked about the subject - Golf 

As for your OT comment perhaps you may be right, but I am only second to you,  you are the King of 'The Repetitive'.

I will say this, most of your problem is down to your ignorance related to the game of Golf although in the eyes of the law that is no excuse.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 04:20:22 PM »

Terry

I will say this, most of your problem is down to your ignorance related to the game of Golf although in the eyes of the law that is no excuse.

Touché!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back