News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Streamsong Construction Pics
« on: October 06, 2010, 12:20:49 PM »
Check out Keith Rhebb's photostream on Flickr.  Is this it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithrhebb/sets/72157624336297903/detail/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:47:11 PM by Jim Colton »

PCCraig

Re: Early Pics of Doak / C&C project in FL?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 12:26:52 PM »

If this is Florida then it looks like a fantastic piece of property! Sandy soil and rolling topography...check and check.

Who is Keith Rhebb?
H.P.S.

Jim Colton

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »
Keith's a shaper for C&C.  I believe he was the project lead for them down at Lost Farms.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 01:19:18 PM »
Where in Florida is this property located?

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
Great find Jim...looks great!!!  The landscape definitely doesn't look like Florida to me....very neat to see some rolling nature to the land

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »
I guess it's ok to talk about it then?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 03:02:03 PM »
Doesn't look like any part of Florida I've been to.....Road Trip!.......
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 03:09:08 PM »
How far is this property from Sugarloaf Mountain?

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »

LOL - Yeah the sourrounding area is absolutely tourist heaven  ;).

base out of Tamp or Orlando or be prepared to step back in time a few years. This is a pretty redneck part of Florida. If I am not mistaken it is a little southeast of Lakeland which is roughly midway between Tampa and Orlando but Polk County Florida is a rather unique part of Central Fla.  

A bit further south than I thought... not in Polk County but in Hardee.

Iam guessing that those calling it Bandon eat may be far closer than they imagine to the reality of this project.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:19:34 AM by Greg Tallman »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »

LOL - Yeah the sourrounding area is absolutely tourist heaven  ;).

base out of Tamp or Orlando or be prepared to step back in time a few years. This is a pretty redneck part of Florida. If I am not mistaken it is a little southeast of Lakeland which is roughly midway between Tampa and Orlando but Polk County Florida is a rather unique part of Central Fla. 

Greg,

Is that the area they call the Florida Sand Belt? If I recall correctly, Sugarloaf is in said sand belt.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »

LOL - Yeah the sourrounding area is absolutely tourist heaven  ;).

I thought it was supposed to be a 36 hole resort?
H.P.S.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 05:04:40 PM »
There's something about ancient shark cartilage. I think it was mined here. There's a fishing show from this area on the outdoor channel, I think?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bruce Katona

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »
Looks like lots of fun playing in the sand.

For a different Florida, i remember in my past spending time in Lake County (just north & west of Olando).  It actually has rolling hills, very different for Florida.  I distinctly remember coming up a rise on the 4 lane couny road I was on and having the Orlando skyline in my windshield.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 06:06:49 PM »
Looks like a great place for a course. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
We are not supposed to talk about the project until they have a name for the resort and a public event, which is scheduled for late November.

We may be pretty far along in construction by then.  We started six weeks ago and each firm has 7 or 8 greens roughed in and bunkers for those holes, too.  It is beautiful sand to work in, and really a site unlike any other we have seen.  But that is about as much as I can tell you for now, other than that it's a pleasure to hang out with Bill and Ben and Keith and Jeff and Jimbo, in addition to my own crew.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 06:28:35 PM »
That part of Fla is pancake flat. The only hills there are piles made from the remnants of phosphate mining. You don't see the 'rolling' center of Fla until you get more north.

Make sure your tank is full and your cell phone is charged if you travel through this area, and get back before dark.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 06:35:47 PM »
Jeez, Jim.  Wauchula is a nice little town.  I'm headed there for dinner shortly, with no fear at all.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »
We are not supposed to talk about the project until they have a name for the resort and a public event, which is scheduled for late November.

We may be pretty far along in construction by then.  We started six weeks ago and each firm has 7 or 8 greens roughed in and bunkers for those holes, too.  It is beautiful sand to work in, and really a site unlike any other we have seen.  But that is about as much as I can tell you for now, other than that it's a pleasure to hang out with Bill and Ben and Keith and Jeff and Jimbo, in addition to my own crew.

I bet, Tom. Knowing all you guys will produce two outstanding golf courses at that site, have fun with it. Could be a "legendary" experience and production when all's "said and done".

Congrats  :)
jeffmingay.com

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 06:49:10 PM »
Tom,
I wasn't talking about two-legged creatures.  ;)

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 07:13:59 PM »
Tom, great to see this coming along!

I drove through this area of Florida in February and it is a tad remote....but 2 hours from Tampa or Orlando airport is a lot closer than Bandon.

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »
I am curious to see how the Doak crews and the C&C crews will achieve the "natural" look on these sites.  As Jim mentioned the area is very flat so any contours and undulations will be completely man made and not likely to blend it at all with the surrounding landscape.  I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 08:58:49 PM »
JC - I think the fun here for the architects is that the property isn't florida flat, having been blown up (figuratively) during the site's previous life as some type of mining operation, such that the mounding and hollows aren't the product of conscious thought or an architect's eye, and so are as random as can be.

Peter

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 09:11:41 PM »
How far is this property from Sugarloaf Mountain?

Roughly 2 hours south of Sugarloaf and about an hour south and west of Mountain Lake. Most importantly, 1 1/2 hours from Disney World!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:13:27 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 09:12:11 PM »
Peter,
That part of Florida is not like the rolling center of Florida, but having the terrain that's shown in the last photo on the first page as part of a golf course would not be a bad thing.  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:15:32 PM by Jim_Kennedy »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back