News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Re: The PGA of America should let the USGA and R&A run the Ryder Cup
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »
Heck, why not go for Gleneagles in November 2014? Grin and top it off with Sweden in December 2018 (Ohh I forgot, Sweden pulled out of the 2018 bid).

Don't worry, we are already building ... drumroll.... THE AUDI COURSE in Germany and it has oceans of water on agricultural soil :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Pat Burke

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 05:48:34 PM »
Mid season would be good for this event, but hurt others on both tours.
The prime dates are summer months, and having TRC would eliminate players from some events on the opposite side
of the Atlantic from the event, as most guys won't bounce back and forth.
Money and time= no chance in profesisonal golf world

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 10:27:40 AM »
Having the Ryder Cup in the middle of the season - say between the US and British Opens would work quite well.

Players would be in peak form and frankly since the event only comes to your side once every four (4) years it would not be a major scheduling nightmare.

The October time frame really isn't working for a whole host of reasons.

Baseball does well with its midsummer classic -- see no reason why Ryder Cup could not replicate that position.

JR Potts

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 10:31:10 AM »
I don't know.  I love the Ryder Cup in late September.  It puts a nice book-end on the season.  That said, the Fed-Ex Cup has certainly changed the feeling of it....for the worse.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 10:38:06 AM »
Ryan:

Moving the event in the manner I mentioned would add some zip to the summer schedule -- would not be a major burden and the late June / early July time frame would mean more site possibilities in the northern climate areas -- including the Scottish highlands.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 12:10:17 PM »
Other than for reason of tradition....why not play the Ryder Cup mid summer?  It would open up more potential venues like Sweden and you certainly would not have issues with daylight in Europe because in many northern locales.  With the possibility of a few events dropping off the PGA Tour Calendar, it might work.  The players would be in form too and not burned out post playoffs.  It also moves it away from football season in the US.  The more I think about it, moving the Ryder Cup to late June would be a fantastic move.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 12:31:23 PM »
Pat Craig - Celtic Manor paid millions, the St Andrews Links Trust would charge millions. If you owned the rights where would you play it Celtic Manor or St Andrews??
Cave Nil Vino

Richard Choi

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »
All this bellyaching about the course is just getting tiredsome.

Ryder Cup is the biggest fund raiser for PGA (along with PGA Championship for US), and they are right to try to maximize how much money they raise. If US Open at Torrey Pines and countless Ryder Cups (including the current one) has taught us anything, it is is that you can have GREAT and compelling drama on most mediocre of the courses. In that environment, they would be a FOOLS not to maximize the profit.

Anyone who thinks PGA is hurting themselves in the long run with its course selection is deluding themselves. There is absolutely NO relationship between the quality of the course and the ratings.

Ken Fry

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2010, 03:28:39 PM »
It's funny how people line up to criticize every aspect of the Ryder Cup and how the PGA of America handles the event.

Does the Ryder Cup now make money?  Yes.  Does the PGA use it as a tool to entice clubs into a PGA Championship/Ryder Cup package.  Yes.  Does anyone on hear remember the Ryder Cup being a massive money loser that the PGA kept afloat for most of it's existence??  Clearly not a soul.

And George Pazin.  Leave the Ryder Cup to the "professionals" in the R&A and USGA to run???  Are you serious??  So you want another event run by volunteer lawyers??  The Ryder Cup, PGA Championship and other events run by the PGA are run by golf professionals, and damn good ones at that.  The Ryder Cup IS run by professionals.  It has been for a very long time.  The difference now is there's more armchair quarterbacks than in 1927.

Ken

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2010, 03:44:50 PM »
We also have to remember this is a minority interest site. As was said on another post The Belfry, K Club, Wentworth, The Grove, etc are well known over here and very popular with "normal" golfers and the corporate market.
Cave Nil Vino

JR Potts

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »
Matt.    I just don't think that the summer schedule needs any more zip.  You have the us open in June, open championship in July and PGA in august.  Who needs more zip?  September needs zip....and the PGA thought they would provide that with the FedEx Cup each year....and they were clearly wrong.

PCCraig

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2010, 08:22:28 AM »
Pat Craig - Celtic Manor paid millions, the St Andrews Links Trust would charge millions. If you owned the rights where would you play it Celtic Manor or St Andrews??

St. Andrews, personally. But that's without knowing exactly how much Celtic Manor paid and how much St. Andrews would charge.
H.P.S.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2010, 08:35:56 AM »

St. Andrews, personally. But that's without knowing exactly how much Celtic Manor paid and how much St. Andrews would charge.

St. Andrews could never cope with 65,000 people a day following 4 matches....

In fact, the number of people who can watch the matches is a big selling point for future venues. So expect custom made courses with large man-made or natural viewing platforms round each fairway and green...

Unless they decide money doesn't matter of course...

The Ryder Cup will become "the" ultimate stadium golf tournament and will head even more in the opposite direction to the one that those calling for the classic courses want... I'm surprised we've spent so much time on the subject...

David_Tepper

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2010, 08:44:03 AM »
"The Ryder Cup will become "the" ultimate stadium golf tournament and will head even more in the opposite direction to the one that those calling for the classic courses want... I'm surprised we've spent so much time on the subject..."

Ally M. -

Could not agree with you more....on both counts!

DT

Jud_T

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2010, 08:56:07 AM »
Very unfortunate, but I'd have to agree.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2010, 09:07:57 AM »
I have been amazed at how this subject keeps reoccuring and how little some on here understand the golf business. If anything comes out of this Ryder Cup it could be that we see a 4 day format. The reason is more £$£$£$£$£$£.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

John Moore II

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »
I have been amazed at how this subject keeps reoccuring and how little some on here understand the golf business. If anything comes out of this Ryder Cup it could be that we see a 4 day format. The reason is more £$£$£$£$£$£.

I have a completely off topic thought here, but being that it is all about money, why do they sell the blandest possible shirts and hats on the Ryder Cup website? Why not sell some actual stylish stuff, like perhaps sell what the players actually wear? That would make more money, seems to me. Why would I want to buy a blue polo for $67 (just because it has the Cup logo) when I can go to Kohl's and get the blue polo for $20? I would, however, pay $50 or $60 for some of those tartan sweaters and such. Makes no sense to me.

George Pazin

Re: The PGA of America should let the USGA and R&A run the Ryder Cup New
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »
George P:

You ask the questrion "Whay do you think the Opens are played in June and July?" You are inferring that the US Open is played in June because the longer days allow for more daylight for TV hence more money.

No, you are inferring that is my position. I am stating that they are played in June and July because of the weather and daylight hours. The money is a side benefit, the kind of happy accident that comes into play when one thinks long term.

David T, as I stated before, there is a difference between the chance that poor weather will be the result, and the likelihood that poor weather will be the result. Faldo saw it two years ago, doesn't seem like much of a stretch to think others should as well. [Now, if someone wants to tell me that this weather is unusual for Wales at this time of the year, I can live with that.] Couple that with playing on a non-links course that doesn't appear to drain particularly well and you have an unhappy accident.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:31:20 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt_Ward

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »
Ryan:

Wake up buddy -- the Tour is not going to kill the Fed-Ex Cup.

The Ryder Cup is LOST in October -- football here in the states relegates it to a non-entity. Ditto for even September.

Better bet would be to position in the middle of the season like baseball's all-star game -- just sandwich in between the two Opens. Only forces changes once every four years for the side that's hosting it -- also allows US players to get across the pond for two events when Euro hosts it. Much better time frame -- better weather -- more sunlight options and likely even more visibility.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back