News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lynn_Shackelford

World Atlas of Golf for $.99
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »
Just noticed this on e bay, World Atlas of Golf by Pat Ward-Thomas on ebay.

Starting bid is $.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WORLD-ATLAS-GOLF-PAT-WARD-THOMAS-GOLFERS-/160480280719?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item255d5ec08f#ht_1524wt_1139
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Willie_Dow

Re: World Atlas of Golf for $.99
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 05:51:03 PM »
As much as I like my many editions of the "World Atlas of Golf: The Greatest Courses and How They are Played" my latest buy from Amazon, page 192, shows the 13th green at Merion described as "The 219 yard 3rd, one of the game's great short par threes,".

It is still a wonderful "new edition", and I thank Mark Rowlinson for continued fine work.

It sellls for $15.98 by the way.  The list price is $39.95.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 09:54:10 AM »
Willie,

I'm afraid to say that in the past many mistakes crept in after the material left me. There are some real howlers in course cards!

Mark.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »
Mark

How does "material change when it leaves you" ?

I'm trying to help Mel Lucas with his documentary on greenkeeping, and put forth some facts on courses that are familiar to me.  It seems to me my input goes only to Mel for his edification, as I'm certainly no greenkeeper.

Thanks for your assistance.

Willie

Willie_Dow

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 08:06:11 PM »
I hate to update my concern for authors, who have studied facts or assumptions without references of where their suppositions have come from, but here we are with an expensive volume to produce without authority by the author on the cover.

What gives ?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:23:42 AM by Willie_Dow »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 08:40:16 PM »
I actually thought that the latest version is the best of the lot. I recently purshased it from a Bargain Basement book store here in Sydney for the simply sum of $16 and the courses covered are superb.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back