News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Just 45 miles from Rye, where he started his design career, Harry Colt designed La Mer (The Sea) course on the other side of the English Channel at Le Touquet in 1931 to complement Horace Hutchinson's 1907 course, La Foret (The Forest) in the French resort town.

It's remarkable that the course sits so close to the likes of Rye, Littlestone, Deal and Sandwich, with thick saltscrub vegetation lining the playing corridors completely unlike the English seaside courses, though the terrain is very similar. Just a few miles north, a pine forst abuts the seaside, again completely at odds with the vegetation across the Channel.

As with everything else I have seen by Colt, the par threes are an obvious thing to note first up. Four very good one shotters, and all different from one another. The long 2nd threads between two dunes, the 7th plays slightly uphill to an angled dune, bunkered at the front, the bunkerless 10th is a mid iron from one dune to another over a valley much like the 5th at Rye and the final short hole, the 15th, is a more subtle hole like Colt's 8th up the coast at Royal Zoute, but calling here for precise play late in the round.

The par fives are relentlessly competant without blowing you away - interesting doglegs and well-defended greens for the most part, with the possible exception the 17th, which stands above the others in the memory by climbing spectacularly over the last 150 yards to a blind green.

Of the par fours, the most notable are the 11th, playing from an elevated tee to a green obscured behind a well-bunkered cross dune, 12th with its bunkerless green slipping off a dune and short 14th, flanked left by a creek before bending to the same side with the green fronted by cross bunkers.

Not surprisingly, many of these better holes named above occupy the most undulating land closest to the seaside, while the likes of the 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th are furthest inland where the terrain flattens.

Sections of the course were lost during World War 2, with an imposing machine gun placement next to the 13th offering a reminder of that time, though the club says Colt's original layout was reinstated during the 1990s.

At times the course becomes too narrow for the style of golf it is and the impenitrable vegetation, but largely this is very good coastal golf, particularly the final 10 holes.

1st - a par five doglegging left on the drive, with a heroic option to carry the dune, before swinging back to the right towards the green.

2nd - a long iron par three, bunkered short of the green where the terrain tends to kick the ball left.

3rd - a drive over dead ground into a saddle, before the hole opens up nearer to the green.

4th - a par five that's main attraction is at the green.

5th - a ho-hum par four that with the 4th and 6th forms the flat point of the course - both literally and figuratively - though the green holds some interest.

6th - a straight shortish par four from an elevated tee to a featureless green.

7th - par three calling for a mid iron up onto the dune.

8th - a moderate length par four with water left on the drive and the green up high above the fairway on a steep-fronted dune.

9th - a blind, downhill drive before the hole swings left to a green that slopes gentle from front to back and many small undulation short to make a running approach a bit of a lottery.

10th - a mid to short-iron par three with nowhere to miss, though the green is larger than it appears.

11th, a long, majestic par four with a wonderful greensite that's all the more difficult to hit with the longer iron you're likely to be approaching with.

12th - a par four of about 350m with a simple but effective green that slides off the dune with a subtle false front/side.

13th - a par five that narrows through the driving done before darting right to a tough green. To its left stands an imposing WW2 machine gun placement, which thanks to a glacial pace of play and no one behind us we were able to go up into the dunes and inspect.

14th - a fun short par four that invites you to carry the creek for a shorter approach to the difficult green.

15th - a long iron of about 160m, perhaps the weakest par three, but still enough to recommend it.

16th - a par four, one of the narrower holes on the course, but the green is a very good one.

17th - the best of the par fives for mine, reachable in two, but that second shot will need to be one of the best fairway woods you've ever hit, with two large bunkers set into the hill waiting to make your third shot a tough one.

18th - from a massively elevated tee that is the only point on the coursse with ocean views, the hole swings left to a slightly disappointing green.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:42:24 PM by Scott Warren »

Matthew Sander

Re: Le Touquet (La Mer) - Colt in France, just 45 miles from Rye!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 03:26:16 PM »
Scott,

Thank you for the tour. The course looks outstanding and what catches my eye in particular are the greensites. The greens at holes 2,8,9,11,16, and 17 look particularly interesting and varied. 

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »
That hits the nail on the head, Matthew.

On my blog, I do a four word course review of each course I play and for Le Touquet I chose "Greensites the major attraction".

That pretty much sums it up. It's not going to go toe-to-toe with the best GB&I links, but it's well worth seeking out to play.

Jason Hines

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:04:05 PM »
Scott,

The tee shot on #2 is very enticing, do the bunkers on the front right come into play?  Can you also describe the size and width of the green as well as the terrain on the backside?

Well done.

Jason

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 04:07:46 AM »
The bunkers are an optical illusion, they are well in front of the green. You can carry them and may still not be putting.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:16:18 PM »
Jason,

The bunkers are short of the green, as Ulrich says, and the area short of the green runs generally right-to-left with the general flow of the dune on the right, so anything running up will likely kick away from them.

The greensite is one pof the flattest on the course, with not much long to harm you.

Standing on the tee it's a very intimidating shot - about 205m (225-ish yards) from the back tee and still 175 or 180 metres (almost 200 yards) from the men's forward tee. The first 70 yards or so is thick scrub and anything missed right of the bunkers is gone as well.

Cristian

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »
Amazing how green the course looks. I was there early summer and the fairways were brown-yellowish, rock hard f&f. Did you still get much run on the ball? Because those fairways really look green and woolly...

Scott Warren

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 12:52:24 PM »
Cristian,

The day before as we drove north from paris it rained as heavily as I have ever seen (and Australia gets unbelievable storms) for about three hours. Cars were pulling up on the side of the motorway because conditions were so poor (I slowed down to 115...) and when we got to Le Touquet and checked in to our digs we were told it had been like that all day. The heavy rain continued until about 10pm.

I was worried we wouldn't get any golf in (we played Hardelot in the AM and Le Touquet after lunch) but both courses ran nicely, spectacularly really for the amount of rain that had just gone into them.

The greens were also a good pace at Le Touquet. Close to as fast as Deal gets at its fastest. I'm terrible at guessing stimp speeds but maybe 8.5 or 9? Satisfyingly quick, in any case.

Long story short, I would like to see a golf course that drains better than Hardelot and Le Touquet did on 27/9.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
Thanks for posting the pictures.  I really like the look of that second hole.  Any more pics of the green complex itsself?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 01:18:16 PM »
I don't, sorry Mark. That is the only pic I have of the 2nd. It's out of character for me to take less than 4 shots of a hole, too ;D

The green extends a bit to overlap the bunkers and the dune on the right, so with an extreme RHS pin you could have the pin almost coming out of the dune.

Here's an aerial

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 01:58:23 PM »
Here's the picture I took about three years ago:

Looks like I beat Scott on the weather-front ;-)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
Interesting contrast there, Ulrich. Seems they have exposed the sand a bit more up on that hillside?

David Stamm

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 05:37:32 PM »
Once again, Colt proves that he was a stud and a giant among men in the design field. I love the tee shot on 2 & 3. The property looks sublime! Thank you for the great pics. 
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 05:43:56 PM »
Oops, just noticed I had a close-up of the par three 7th green included with the pics of the par four 5th. Changed now and gives a much better idea of that hole's character and cool rustic bunker style.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back