News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wlangford

Lawsonia....finally moving up the charts, but...
« on: March 06, 2002, 05:02:34 PM »
??  Please post it as public facility!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Ran Morrissett

Re: Lawsonia....finally moving up the charts, but.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2002, 05:19:14 PM »
Does anyone have some pictures that they could post from here?

What restorative work has been done here in the past couple of years?

How long a drive is it from Chicago?

As it stands today, is it as true to Langford's original work as any of his remaining courses?

wlangford

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2002, 05:22:45 PM »
Mr. Daly has quite a few photos.  The only main restoration work has been tree removal and widening of fairways.  It is still the original design of Langfords.  Only 3 hours from Chicago.

Does anyone have some pictures that they could post from here?

What restorative work has been done here in the past couple of years?

How long a drive is it from Chicago?

As it stands today, is it as true to Langford's original work as any of his remaining courses?

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2002, 05:24:06 PM »
Ran:

It's an excellent piece of work.  I played there last fall and found it be an excellent course.

I'd have to say it's about 2 1/2 hours from Chicago. As I was already up there for a trip, I didn't drive straight from Chicago, but it wasn't all that far from Kohler, so it's an easy trip to make to hit Blackwolf Run, Whistling Straights and Lawsonia all in a short trip in and out of Milwaukee or Chicago.

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2002, 07:51:51 PM »
Paul, Let's grab Mr. Daley and Mr. Holland and play there on a weekend in late May - Chicago GC/ Langford/ and his design style are fascinating subjects.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2002, 08:03:07 PM »
Ran,

Be sure you let RJ Daley suggest the restaurant for dinner afterwards.  Trust me; you can't go wrong.  I suggest you bring your appetite and be ready for some great conversation.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2002, 08:03:59 PM »
Hey!  What about little old me???  I'm right over here in Dubuque...a mere 2 1/2 hours away as well!  I'd love to meet up and play.

Any way to make this a mini-GCA outing?

My only exposure to Lawsonia was a few summers ago with the aforementioned Mr. Daley and a gang from rec.sports.golf.  We had a blast, and WOW! What a course!  Would love the opportunity to get back out there and see how the tree removal program has worked out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Paul Richards

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2002, 08:07:18 PM »
Ran:

Great idea!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2002, 08:11:37 PM »
These are the only two photos I have from our trip two summer ago.  I'm sure Mr. Daley can contribute as many others as you want.

The 171 yard Par3 12th hole...don't left that lefty follow-though distract you!!!

The 379 yard Par4 15th hole...slight dogleg right...notice the nice run-up ramp
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2002, 08:32:25 PM »
I remember being there and the fairways seemed 10 yards wide and sparce of any real turf. I remember thinking how much this looked like what I would see once a year on very early sunday morning t.v. when they would broadcast the British open.

Ran- Imagine Skokie CC's bunkering on steroids. Thats the best way to describe it.

Paul Richards

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2002, 02:55:24 AM »
Evan:

That second picture is an apt description of many of the
Lawsonia greens - pop-up greens that look like this one. :)

Jim Nagle

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2002, 05:21:53 AM »
:o  When I have some extra time tonight I will scan and post some photos from our last visit there
in the Summer of 2001.  We spent some time playing the course and plenty of time taking photos.
The only restorative measures taken there in recent years has been the removal of many trees.
The plan is in place to reinstate bunkers, remove more trees and expand greens and fairways,
we are simply waiting for the go-ahead.  What a difference the tree removal made on hole #9.  We
are always telling people to get up and see Lawsonia Links, it is just to pure to miss.

Jeff_McDowell

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2002, 06:21:18 AM »
Count me in on a trip to Lawsonia. I've been wanting to make an excuse to see the course, and a GCA get together would be perfect.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2002, 08:33:15 AM »
Ye can calls me RJ, ye can calls me Dick, ye can calls me Richard or ye can calls me Rich, but ye dassn't has to calls me Mr. ;D

It seems to me the best way to do a big cheesehead tour is to fly to Milwuakee.  It is one hour to Kohler.  Do your thing for a day or two at BWR and WS & I, then after your time at Kohler make the one hour trip to Green Lake and play the Resort course done by Joe Lee and Rocky Roqulemore in the morning in a cart.  But save the late afternoon round for walking Langford's Lawsonia.  I don't know of any course that looks more beautiful in the hero light hours.  Early Oct when the leaves are peak is just too much to be thankful for.  If you are so lucky, drive the 2 1/2++ hours to Chicago the next day to have at Chicago GC.  By then you'd be totally in nirvana and could drive back to Milwaukee using the time to reflect on how good your life is  ;D 8)

Ran, I have had a half written piece about Lawsonia that I wanted to submit to one of the golf publications for two years.  I have chronicalled the 100s of trees being removed.  I have interview quotes from DOG Jeff Pankowitz and super Mike Berwick.  But, I have been waiting for their final stage of restoration where they were going to bring out the mowing lines to original edges of greens like on 2, 5, 11, 15, 16.  And there are some bunkers that were boomeranged wrapped around green corners to the rear that were going to be restored.  (they were dissected to single flat turf walled greenside bunkers over the years).  

But, there really isn't that much else to do.  The tree removal was the key.  The only criticism I have ever heard, and a good one, is that all the doglegs are right turns.  It is a small price to pay for the other joys of this design.

I have to follow through on my intentions to get my own web page so I can post pictures.  Who wants e-mail of about 6-8 select ones of typical views on this course?

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff_McDowell

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2002, 02:52:48 PM »
RJ

I'd like to see those photos.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back