News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Schueneman

Getting the timing right on Bandon
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:04:56 PM »
I have been trying to figure out when the best time would be to get out to see Old Mac (i.e. sooner versus later).  I have long operated under the assumption that courses need time to mature and so generally stay away from new courses, but I now question that assumption.  It occurs to me that Augusta National reseeds every year, and their turf is quite nice.  Moreover, I believe Mr. Doak posted recently about how pure the fairways and greens are at Old Mac right now.  Does this mean that it is the sooner the better as far as visiting OM is concerned?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Tim Bert

Re: Getting the timing right on Bandon
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:20:30 PM »
The course was in fine shape right out the gate. The team there has also done a great job with the "older" courses. I think you are over thinking the timing aspect. Bandon does a great job of having the courses ready to go from day one. Go when you have the time and the money. Go often if possible.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 12:45:12 AM »
Wade,

I think it's cool to play new courses to see how they can mature - it's intersting to me to learn how they grow up and different things that can be done.

I played Bandon Dunes a week after it opened in 1999 - it had been sitting there for a year.  It was awesome - don't wait!!

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 01:33:01 AM »
Wade,
I was amazed at the condition of 'brand new' Old Mac - particularly of the FW's & Greens, although I did think that in 2-5 years time it will be even better, as the rough areas get a bit of age into them, the rough will further provide framing and backgrounds to many of the holes. To me these kind of things are the one percenters that will enhance it's reputation further in the future.
@theflatsticker

Jed Peters

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 02:19:58 AM »
access whore!

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 09:34:33 AM »
Jed, I am not sure I understand your response.  Would you be willing to clarify?

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 10:57:43 AM »
That term is becoming way over used on this site and I am over it.
@theflatsticker

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »
After May and before October gives one the best chance of minimal rain.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »
Wade:

I don't think you need to wait for it to get better, but I am confident that the crew out there will have it in good shape whenever you finally make it.

June through September is the best time to avoid rain -- that's why the prices are higher.  Sometimes the weeks around Christmas are calm and 60 degrees, though.  February through May is when it's at its prettiest, with all the gorse on the hillsides in bloom; but you have to bring your rain gear and a waterproof bag for your camera!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 03:29:58 AM »
Wade,

I would just go and play whenever you can fit it into your schedule.

The wind has been higher during the summer when I have visited and calmer (and from a different direction) in the winter. As has been mentioned, you can get some brilliant weather between December and March - when I was there in Feb it was perfect - 60 and sunny - but I believe it was pouring rain the following week.

Old Mac looks like it has been there a long time - Ken Nice and his team are magicians - whenever you visit, you will not be disappointed.

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 06:02:01 AM »
Wade,
I had the same instinct and am not going till next summer.  I wish I was there right now.  :(
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 06:11:44 AM »
I played PD and BT right after they opened and they were great.  Old Mac will need to wait for a change in the economy.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:53:30 AM »
As the beer expert Fred Eckhart told me, "my favorite beer is the one I'm drinking right now"...the best time to play at Bandon is always: NOW...

I get down there 2-3 times a year and am looking forward to my next visit on the drive back to Portland.

I have purposely waited to play Old Mac until all 18 were open, and have apx. 97 days until my reservations in November...(not that I'm in countdown mode)...but the conditioning is always second to none at Bandon.

Jed Peters

Bandon
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
Wade:

There's a million and two posts on this same type of thing.

The guys at bandon will have the course in top shape regardless--they account for PLENTY of grow in time, there doesn't need to be any maturing...if you catch my drift.

Now, the time of year you choose to go--that's all you. Summer has no to very little rain with EXTREME wind at times.

Winter can have all of the above or be, like TD said, 60 and calm.

It's a crapshoot!

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 10:25:35 PM »
I want to thank all of you for your advice.  The message seems quite clear.  Go now and return often!  I think that I will try to shoot for a first visit next May (to catch the gorse in bloom).  Hopefully they are not all booked up already ;)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 11:23:18 PM »
Wade,

Think about Memorial Day weekend when others stay home with family. You may get better tee times, especialy if your group plans on playing 36 or more per day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back