News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

bill_k

Re: Blue Mound G&CC -- Seth Raynor in Wisconsin (pictorial essay)
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
I have a question...I have seen many references to Maple Bluff in Madison as a Raynor design. Does anyone know the story there?

Jim Eder

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »
Bill,

Where have you seen the references?  I did a search on this site and didn't find anything. I love Maple Bluff, the bunkers, the greensites, and some of the features remind me of Blue Mound but I have never heard that about Raynor.

Phil McDade

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 02:37:49 PM »
I have a question...I have seen many references to Maple Bluff in Madison as a Raynor design. Does anyone know the story there?

Bill:

I, too, have seen those references -- I forget where -- and to my knowledge and own eyes, there is nothing at Maple Bluff (about 10 miles from my home) that resembles Raynor's work (at least when it comes to template holes). The original routing/design is by H.J Tweedie (Flossmoor, among others), with updates by Killian and Nugent. I have also heard Art Hills did some work on the club at some point.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 04:53:37 PM »
Blu Mound is my favorite course in WI.  The subtle (and not so subtle) challenges are fantastic around the greens.  Next year's US am will be the most differing courses most likely in history.  BM is very special and a course that I would love to play every day for the rest of my life.

Phil McDade

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 05:04:44 PM »
Mike:

There might be a 1,000-yard difference in the set-up of the courses -- hard to imagine stretching BM much beyond 6,700 yards; there's just not much more room there. And I think Erin Hills will be at least 7,600 yards for the Amateur, because those guys hit it a ton. It can go beyond 8,000 yards. And the terrain of the two courses couldn't be more different.

Here's my recent thread on Erin Hills -- having walked both courses in the past few months, they offer quite the contrast for the golfer:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45966.0/

bill_k

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 03:41:17 PM »
I just remembered and confirmed in my own copy...Maple Bluff is referenced by Tom Doak as a Raynor course in The Confidential Guide.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »
Brilliant photography...bravo
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 02:29:03 PM »
This is incredibly comprehensive. 
A 1st rate job!
This course looks amazing. I really like the clean, finished look of the bunkers, tee boxes, everything. That feels very appropriate for a flatter and more condensed course like this.
I defintely need to check-out Blue Mound!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 05:23:19 PM »
I always regreted not seeing (it started pouring on 8-9) the back nine when I stopped by on the way to Lawsonia. The photos are a further self-kick in the ass for not getting back.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back