News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Tanner

Re: What is good golf architecture writing?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »
Tim,
 A welcome topic and one that's generated some insightful replies. I agree witht the general tenor of the discussion which seems to be that the best writing about golf architecture is both entertaining and educational. When I finish reading an article—whether it's about a hole or a feature or a course—I like to feel that my time with it was well spent. 
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

John Kirk

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 12:47:05 AM »
Bump.  This is a very good thread, notwithstanding my less valubale entry a couple of posts ago.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 02:29:13 AM »
Brute honesty.  Explain both the strengths and shortcomings without worrying what the course will think.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:27:06 AM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 08:48:47 AM »
John Kirk,

Thanks. When I thought about this thread I was hoping we could get a few people to write reviews both positive and negative about "ABC Golf Course". Really just calling it ABC and creatively writing a review that would be worthwhile - maybe a model of what we should do here.
Tim Weiman

JNC Lyon

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »
I think good golf course architecture writing means discussing the good and bad aspects of a golf course with honesty and flair.  If you like a golf course, tell me what specific holes or features make it great.  If you do not like a course, say so!  I think it is worth as much knowing which courses to avoid as knowing which courses to see.

Also, I think any good review of a golf course (especially if it is a positive review) covers two major themes:

1) What makes the course unique.

2) What can a golfer learn from the course.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back