News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Don_Mahaffey

Javier Sanchez - US Senior Open
« on: July 30, 2010, 11:33:35 PM »
Javier holds the course record at Wolf Point at 68, which he has shot twice. He has family in the area and has been here quite a bit over the last couple of years.
Jave is a great guy with a good story and I hope you all will root for him as he enters the weekend in 11th place at the US Senior Open. 

John Moore II

Re: Javier Sanchez - US Senior Open
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 11:41:17 PM »
Did Javier play on the mini-tours a few years back? Because I remember a guy who played the Tarheel Tour here in NC and the US Open in 2000 at least, with the same name.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:46:11 PM »
Jave's bio is below.

I like Jave because when he came out to Wolf Point he went out of his way to thank all the guys who work on the course.

Javier Sanchez
Birth Date: January 11, 1959
Birthplace: Taistan, Mexico
Ht.: 5’7"
Wt.: 165
Home: Greensboro, Ga.
College: Redwood City J.C.
Turned Professional: 1990
Player Notes: Sanchez comes from a poor farm town in Mexico, where his closest neighbor was 2 miles away. He had an uncle who lived in Redwood City, Calif., and wanted him to visit when he was 17 years old. Because he couldn’t come legally, he was forced to pay $50 to another Mexican to get across the border, and then, since he was already in the U.S., he decided to stay. He became an American citizen and took up golf when he was 21 years old and the restaurant owner where he worked took over a restaurant at Palo Alto Golf Club. Sanchez became the cook at the restaurant and got interested in golf by watching all of his customers play and talk about golf. For $150, he bought a set of clubs and started to play the game. He moved to Fayetteville, Georgia when he got a job at a driving range and, just like Lee Trevino, was sponsored. Sanchez’ sponsor was Earl Tolbert who owned the driving range and gave him money to play on the T.C. Jordan Tour. His big thrill came in 1993 when he was playing in a tournament in St. Louis, Mo., and got a phone call from the USGA that Billy Ray Brown was withdrawing from the U.S. Open and that Sanchez was the first alternate. He hopped on a plane to New Jersey, getting there at 1:30 Thursday morning; less than 12 hours later, he was playing in the U.S. Open without even seeing Baltusrol. He missed the cut, but still it was a dream come true. Has tried to qualify for the PGA Tour every year since 1994, did get a conditional card for the Nike Tour in 1995. Played on that Tour in 1996, best finish in 14 starts, runner-up in St. Louis Golf Classic. In 1997 made 11 starts, best finish T8th in Nike Richmond Open. Earned the right to open qualify for Champions Tour in 2009 by finishing T20th at 2008 National Qualifying Tournament. Was one of the Sunbelt Senior Tour’s leading players in 2008, winning three times. Has played a total of five U.S. Opens, making the cut in 1996 and finishing T90th. Played 38 events in his career on Nationwide Tour. Lost in a playoff to Tim Conley at the 1996 Gateway Classic. Earned the right to open qualify for Champions Tour events in 2010 after finishing T24th at the 2009 National Qualifying tournament.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 11:47:03 PM »
Did Javier play on the mini-tours a few years back? Because I remember a guy who played the Tarheel Tour here in NC and the US Open in 2000 at least, with the same name.
Yes, that's him. 5 US opens.

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 11:55:54 PM »
Yes, that's him. 5 US opens.

Yeah, I had a couple of friends who played on the mini-tours with him and they were pretty excited when he qualified in 2000. Cool to see a name on the leaderboard that I recognize. I'll certainly be pulling for him this weekend.

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 01:47:11 AM »
I remember when Javier was working at Palo Alto Municipal Golf Course.  Pretty impressive guy.

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:28:29 AM »
Don,
He plays out of Harbor Club here and have played with him a few times....very good guy....also one of our supts father is playing..James Mason...both GA boys...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
Nice story, thanks for sharing. I'll look out for him this weekend.

Kind of reminds me of the story of Esteban Toledo, as shared in Tin Cup Dreams by Michael D'Antonio. I still root for him when he pops up on Nationwide Tour leaderboards.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back