News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Rooney

Re: Defining "Dark Ages Architecture"
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2019, 10:22:18 PM »
‘81 Wild Dunes Links should be included if for no other reason this course put Tom Fazio on the map with its unique use of the land.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2019, 08:22:08 AM »
I use the term "Doldrums Age," but generally I place Old Town as the end of the First Golden Age, so 1940-1995 is what I call the Doldrums, despite - obviously - a many good courses being built too.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Ira Fishman

« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2019, 09:47:02 AM »
‘81 Wild Dunes Links should be included if for no other reason this course put Tom Fazio on the map with its unique use of the land.

Before the shore erosion, those last couple of holes really made it a distinctive course, certainly for the time.  I have wondered why it fell off the radar mostly.  I played it back in 1984 I think.

Ira

Mike Hendren

« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2019, 10:28:09 AM »
I wonder if golf architecture hasn't entered the Theme Park Era.  That's not necessarily a criticism but even the likes of Bandon, Streamsong, Cabot and Sand Valley get a lot of mileage out of the thrill, be it micro or macro. 

For what it's worth I realize my take is a ridiculous one but last month I found Lahinch and Ballybunion Old to be more thrilling than great.  Could be because I can't golf the ball worth a damn. 

I should also add for Tim W's sake that I found Dooks to be totally disco and tickety-boo. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Rooney

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
Ira correct about Wild Dunes hole #18------sad what the erosion did to an exciting par 5.The EPA always stopped their methods of repair.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
I wonder if golf architecture hasn't entered the Theme Park Era.  That's not necessarily a criticism but even the likes of Bandon, Streamsong, Cabot and Sand Valley get a lot of mileage out of the thrill, be it micro or macro. 

For what it's worth I realize my take is a ridiculous one but last month I found Lahinch and Ballybunion Old to be more thrilling than great.  Could be because I can't golf the ball worth a damn. 

I should also add for Tim W's sake that I found Dooks to be totally disco and tickety-boo. 

Bogey

A brilliant description of “The Instagram Age”.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2019, 09:40:59 PM »

Before the shore erosion, those last couple of holes really made it a distinctive course, certainly for the time.  I have wondered why it fell off the radar mostly.  I played it back in 1984 I think.

Ira

The golf corridors were pretty narrow, and once the housing got built, the feeling of the course changed dramatically.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back