News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: CHURCH STRETTON GC: You Want 5000 Yards?
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »
Given that the other English-Welsh borderland courses, ie Kington, Welshpool and Llandrindod Wells have been profiled or re-profiled recently finding these two photos of the course and an early version of the Clubhouse at Church Stretton seemed a good enough reason to bump this terrific old thread.
 :)
atb

« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 01:56:46 PM by Thomas Dai »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »
The following hole is a brutal par 3 straight up a hill with a green benched into its side.  In this day and age many archies would feel compelled to slap a bunker on the low side of the hole, thus removing the bite of the design. 

Worth resurrecting this thread if only for this photo. Although I am also really enjoying the Thomas postcard scans.

Was fortunate enough to visit here a few years back. Courses like this do a very good job combining fun and challenge.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2019, 04:55:16 AM »
Given that the other English-Welsh borderland courses, ie Kington, Welshpool and Llandrindod Wells have been profiled or re-profiled recently finding these two photos of the course and an early version of the Clubhouse at Church Stretton seemed a good enough reason to bump this terrific old thread.
 :)
atb

ATB

Thanks for the photo.  Any info on the hole?

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:51:31 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2019, 10:56:07 AM »
The photo came with no details but a mate who knows the course says the green is still there and in play so it could well be the 3rd. Cool old cars in the Clubhouse (chalet/pavillion) photo.
Atb

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 07:13:10 AM »
This thread makes me want to play here again IMMEDIATELY!

I'd forgotten just how much fun we had playing here. It was a hoot from beginning to end.

One very unusual, but typically Church Stretton incident happened when we encountered a very heavy squall up on the tops and made a dash for the little shelter by the 13th tee. One of the miniature ponies that graze the course didn't fancy the hail storm either and dashed into the shelter with us! There we were in this tiny tin shed, in the middle of a golf course, with a small, wet horse!
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

John Mayhugh

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »

I'd forgotten just how much fun we had playing here. It was a hoot from beginning to end.

One very unusual, but typically Church Stretton incident happened when we encountered a very heavy squall up on the tops and made a dash for the little shelter by the 13th tee. One of the miniature ponies that graze the course didn't fancy the hail storm either and dashed into the shelter with us! There we were in this tiny tin shed, in the middle of a golf course, with a small, wet horse!
I played CS by myself, and really look forward to getting back there. So much fun.
Great story, Robin. That's not really a horse-sized shelter.DSC01642 by john mayhugh

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 01:04:50 PM »

I played CS by myself, and really look forward to getting back there. So much fun.
Great story, Robin. That's not really a horse-sized shelter.DSC01642 by john mayhugh

I used that shelter to duck from the rain as well on my first trip. Luckily, the 2nd trip's use for firing up a cigar  8)

Tucky...talk up Church Stretton and Kington for Buda 2020.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Mayhugh

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 01:48:12 PM »
Sean,Not sure how influential I am, but I would strongly support Kington/Church Stretton. I think I'll be reminded that the key is for an organizer to step up.

It would certainly be an economical Buda.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »
Sean,Not sure how influential I am, but I would strongly support Kington/Church Stretton. I think I'll be reminded that the key is for an organizer to step up.
It would certainly be an economical Buda.
Welshpool too!
atb

John Mayhugh

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 02:39:47 PM »
TD
I'm keen on seeing Welshpool as well. Buda probably works best with using two of the courses, and then make one an add on at the beginning or end.

Thomas Dai

Re: CHURCH STRETTON GC: You Want 5000 Yards? New
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 02:53:50 PM »
TD
I'm keen on seeing Welshpool as well. Buda probably works best with using two of the courses, and then make one an add on at the beginning or end.
Seems sensible.
Here's Welshpool - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63739.0.html
And as an aside, not that far away is Rhayader, where some of Alister MacKenzie's 1926 9-hole course is still visible on the ground. Shame it closed in 1968 - restoration?!
https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-64/1079-rhayader-golf-club-powys
atb
Then and now photo comparison -

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 05:12:01 PM by Thomas Dai »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
TD

Finally! I've been talking up the Church Stretton / Kington combo for years. Everyone stays in beautiful Ludlow with its great restaurants and hotels. 40 mins to Kington and 20 mins to Stretton. Welshpool only 50 mins away.
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Mark Pearce

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 06:23:02 PM »

I used that shelter to duck from the rain as well on my first trip. Luckily, the 2nd trip's use for firing up a cigar  8)

Tucky...talk up Church Stretton and Kington for Buda 2020.

Ciao
You don't need Tucky to talk up that BUDA.  Climb down off that fence and make it happen. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

Re: CHURCH STRETTON GC: Little Switzerland
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2020, 07:57:18 AM »
Well, we didn't quite make Church Stretton happen for Buda, but Spangles, Doc and myself wandered around the hills with smiles on our faces on the Thursday before Buda. I really did under-estimate how good Church Stretton is despite the few silly holes and tough walk.  I think the trio of Church Stretton, Welshpool and Kington outshines its Cotswold cousins threesome.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:21:17 AM by Sean_A »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Call In at CHURCH STRETTON GC
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2020, 03:37:40 PM »
"...with smiles on our faces..."

Easy to oversell the quirk and undersell the great golf. The holes require precise golf, the turf is keen, the ball ran and the greens were really top notch. Blessed with marvellous day and great company I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

Hard to choose between this and Welshpool both tremendous fun.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2020, 04:28:47 AM »
"...with smiles on our faces..."

Easy to oversell the quirk and undersell the great golf. The holes require precise golf, the turf is keen, the ball ran and the greens were really top notch. Blessed with marvellous day and great company I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

Hard to choose between this and Welshpool both tremendous fun.

Spangles

What are some of your favourite holes?

Ciao

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2020, 09:50:12 AM »
Why the driveable 15th of course!

In truth I thought that only 18 was unfair, how do you hold that green?  Laying up to those ledges is just weird. The others all enticed you and demanded careful approaches.

Have seen 6 courses since this one but the holes from one visit are easy to recall

I loved the 3 steps to heaven start, the semi blind 2 and unique 3 are fine holes.

4 is an amazing golf hole .  Outstanding doglegs L-R seem less common than the other way round?  Great use of the terrain.

One of the joys of these hill top courses is playing alongside a fall to certain death or a green sitting in front of the abyss. 6 & 8 offer these thrills, and between them 7 is a better L_R driveable 4 than Kington's 18!

Coming home I wonder if the fact you can see a few holes at a time slightly lowers the feeling of being on an exploration? I'd love another crack at 10 and 16 and ALL of the Par 3's.

The greens really were in great nick to a surprising degree.

It was Robin who kept insisting on a (for him) return visit and I'm really pleased he did.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

Re: Call In at CHURCH STRETTON GC New
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2020, 04:14:29 AM »
Three Steps... half a homage to Miles?

There aren't any truly outstanding holes at CS, but you are right, the 3s are good except for the crap 18th. I especially admire the 12th....so simple.

The best hole could well be the 8th. I am unsure as to why you think 7 is special.

There is a lot of sneaky quality about the course which only comes to fore in quite dry conditions.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 04:33:18 AM by Sean_A »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2020, 06:32:09 AM »
The only thing crap about the 18th is the crap left on the ground by the sheep.

Sean HATES drop shot holes and this pretty much defines the genre. I love it. It's a very enjoyable way to top off the round. I'm even quite partial to the weird ledges short of the green. I've never seen that feature anywhere else.

I guess I must be a true fan of this type of hole, because I proclaim its worth (see Sean's report).

Sean_A

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2020, 07:05:14 AM »
The ledges on 18 are cool, maybe the coolest single (double?) feature on the course. But the hole is rubbish  ;D .

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back