News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Why I Play Where I Play...
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:05:07 PM »
Joe Logan's new website has started a feature asking readers to write something about why they play the course or courses they play- private and/or public. Here's mine:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=4907

Why not sit down and write something yourself and send it to Joe.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Michael Huber

Re: Why I Play Where I Play...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Steve,

That is quite a thoughtful write up and I, too, am a mercinary golfer.  My two cents:  the article mentioned you live in Eastern Montgomery county, and I have to think that you are in a very good location for public golf in Philadelphia.  I'm not sure exactly what area you are in, but there are plenty of public options relatively close by.  I lived in Plymouth Meeting for a year and a half, and I was pleased with the number of reasonable courses at a reasonable distance. 

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
Stationers??  :D ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
Mike S

I forgot to include my last year's tour of some top courses in Westchester County, NY under the auspices of the Stationer's Golf Ass'n- Sunningdale, Metroplis and Quaker Ridge. It was a treat to play these fine courses.

Needless to say, I could not include all the courses I've played since I've become a "vagabond"- Merion East and West, Philly Cricket Wissahickon and Militia Hill, Ridgewood, Bulle Rock, Beechtree, Sunnybrook, Squires,Saucon Valley,Forsgate,Desert Forest, Desert Mountain, Quintero,French Creek, White Manor, Stonewall and many others among them,some of which through the courtesy of gca members.

Joe only gave me 500 words.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 08:36:45 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
http://sgagolf.net/course.html#connecticut

I think we are moving into the greatest era of golf as consumers of GCA "appropriate" courses.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Why I Play Where I Play... New
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
The GAP Member Days program is a great deal  also:

http://www.gapgolf.org/eventplay.asp
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:36:21 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 08:28:20 AM »
WOW - This Stationer's club is amazing.  What is its history, and do you think it could be repeated elsewhere?
------------
As far as why I play where I play:  It's all about the golf course architecture.  We're lucky enough to play a Hanse-designed golf course anytime we'd like.  I know most all the members and we have a great time out there.  We also have wonderful clubhouse architecture.

I played at another club in a chairity outing this week.  The course was "only OK", and actually had some horrible holes.  Its clubhouse was new and in the "McMansion" (gaudy) style.  But they do have a swimming pool and fitness center, so their membership is full.

I don't get it - excellent GCA goes looking for members and cruddy GCA with a gaudy clubhouse is full.

Shows what sells, doesn't it? 

(Give me excellent GCA anytime - you can have the other stuff...  Reminded me of Don McLean's "Castles in the Air")
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:34:53 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 08:47:46 AM »
Dan,

Stationer's was founded in 1915 as part of the trade group. It became loosely affiliated somehow with the the NYAC, a club that has its own golf outings for its members,some of which may coincide with SGA events.

I think the GAP Member Days program is an attempt to accomplish the same thing  less expensively and to also provide some revenue for local clubs.

The Stationers events resemble a one day member guest with lunch and dinner and are priced accordingly. The GAP events are more modest,usually featuring a lunch buffet or hors d'ouvres afterwards.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back