News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

Sebastopol, Crimean War, and The Redan
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I've come across some interesting maps in my online searching. I don't have much to say about them besides that you might enjoy them. The first one below is a modern map drawn to illustrate the battle. The next three are insets from old (and very large) maps that depict the same or similar. I apologise for the large size, but they aren't terribly useful at a small size.

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Sebastopol, Crimean War, and The Redan
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:57:15 PM »
Charlie,

With respect to the feature that's labeled, "little redan", where did that label originate ?

And, are there any pictures of it ?

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
Patrick, I'm in the process of searching through the 3-volume "The History of the War with Russia" which I believe has photos of the Redan in question. If/when I find something I'll definitely post it.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:01:17 PM »
Where are the bunkers?   ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:14:39 PM »
Charlie,

I had always understood that a Redan was an elevated earthen feature that allowed troops to be positioned on its forward side while keeping them from being observed.

Let us know what you find.

I'd be curious to see what "little redan" looks like from the view of the opposing troops

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:42:45 PM »
Charlie,

I had always understood that a Redan was an elevated earthen feature that allowed troops to be positioned on its forward side while keeping them from being observed.

Let us know what you find.

I'd be curious to see what "little redan" looks like from the view of the opposing troops
  I think it was also "V" shaped, with the V pointing at the enemy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back