News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Huber

It goes without saying that this website and the study of golf arcitecture makes one look at a golf course with a different eye.  Instead of judging a course by its greenness, "fairness", and the number of flowers planted, we now look for things like subtlety, strategery, and how well the holes fit in with the environment.

This morning as I was waking up, I was thinking about how much I enjoy sitting on the front porch of my apartment and reading the newspaper with my dog.  For whatever reason, I got to thinking about the connection between good golf architecture and the rest of life.  I think since I've been a little more keen on minimalism in golf design, I've appreciated nice buildings more than I used to.  I can appreciate a well laid out neighborhood, an expensive, but not outlandish home, and the subtleties in an on building that you just don't see from 1960's era construction. 

This post may not make any sense, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad GCA has made me appreciate the finer things in life.   

John Chilver-Stainer

Re: Applying what your GCA Ethos and Values into every day living
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 09:11:07 AM »
I’d be interested to know what your dog thinks about "things like subtlety, and strategery" ;)

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:47:48 PM »
I’d be interested to know what your dog thinks about "things like subtlety, and strategery" ;)

His dog probably loves them, if he gets to see them on the course. Imagine, 10,000 places to use the bathroom, and not more than 10 or 20 yards away at any given time. Wow.

But on the original statement, I think that is just a better attention to detail. I used to build houses, so I know what looks good in a house and I see them differently than those who don't. Same with golf, I worked at a course (2 courses actually) and that exposure to the same course on a daily basis allowed me to see that course in a different light than I may have otherwise. Yes, we see subtlety, but its not always on the first try or the first play. Thinking about these things on the golf course probably just heightens your sense of awareness in other things. And that is a good thing, of course.

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »
Like Shivas, I put my gca hat on when in the yard.  Old habit.  I let the creeping red fescue that is my lawn grass grow like hay along the boundary of my back yard where the lawn meets the woods.  And I don't mow up to it on a straight line, no.  More of a squiggly in and out pattern (sorry Bogey ;)), along with a path and hiding places for my kids to play and drive their Barbie Jeep.  It looks really cool right now contrasted with the short grass.  A benefit is the dog likes to crap in there instead of in the short grass!

Also began ''borrowing' sand from the girls' sandbox and spreading it around some bare areas where we recently had some really big trees cut and the stumps ground.  Giving the place the sort of 'Friar's Head' treatment.   I'm having fun with it.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
Eric,

That is pretty cool. Got any plans for the front yard? Or will the "Board" say no way?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
Eric's got nothing on Bret Morrisey's back yard!! :)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
Eric,

That is pretty cool. Got any plans for the front yard? Or will the "Board" say no way?

Thanks Bill.  No plans for the front, mostly trees up there.  If I ever want a front yard several of them would have to go.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 09:50:20 PM »
I live in a townhouse.  I let my "super" cut my grass :)

Richard Choi

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 12:14:47 PM »
You actually water your lawn? I say if it cannot live naturally in the environment, it deserves to die! :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back