News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Re: Pebble Beach 1929 Hole by Hole updated***
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 07:05:59 PM »
Here is a photo of the three amigos that would be involved in making the changes for the 1929 US Am.

Tully

Sean, I'm having a brain cramp. Hunter is on the left, Egan on the right. Who is in the middle?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »
Looks like Roger Lapham.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 07:28:39 PM »
David:

Perhaps the man in the middle is either Roger Lapham or Jack Neville.

I think I mentioned it above, but again, to me one of the most interesting aspects of these really beautiful and detailed hole drawings of Pebble Beach in 1929 is not just the drawings but the notation on every one of them---eg "By Joe Mayo and Campbell Puget"

I assume Puget may've been the artist who drew them but what could be the significance of Mayo's name on them? I do know that Joe Mayo was the very good greenkeeper for Morse and PB and maybe Monterrey Peninsula but it is so interesting his name is on those drawings rather than the architect of the time or one of them such as Egan.

Are there any actual architectural drawings for the 1929 remodel of PB, such as construction drawings?

Who knows more about Joe Mayo other than that he was PB's or Morse's really good superintendent?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:36:12 PM by TEPaul »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »
The answer to that can be found above in post #6...  ;D

Jed Peters

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »
Here is a photo of the three amigos that would be involved in making the changes for the 1929 US Am.

Who is in the middle?

Mike Benham

Sean_Tully

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 02:01:49 AM »
18th and 17th greens in 1929

Jordan Wall

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 02:26:21 AM »
How awesome would it be to maintain the left of 8 in front of the green as fairway and bring that little mound back in to play!!?  Awesome!

Great pictures, Sean, thank you.

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 03:13:58 AM »
This is a remarkable find.  Thanks Sean.

"This green looks huge when compared to today! I wonder what did more damage; the Pacific or the maintenance meld."

Michael Huber or Wyatt Halliday:

That point and ultimately that question you asked is one that has been with me for many years. It also seems just so ironic since the look of that green and its bunkering, and a number of others like it on the course in 1929 as well as a number of the holes and bunkers with the same look at CPC, just could be some of the most truly beautiful ever done in golf course architecture. And on top of that to think they were all completely designed and constructed not by Nature but by man.

The real irony is that they were apparently just so hard to maintain or at least to really "hold that look" via maintenance practices through time.

I have the distinct feeling that the difficulty in maintaining them or probably to say more accurately, to really "hold that look" (and the so-called "imitation sand dunes") was probably fairly obvious right out of the box and was probably the very thing that prompted that argument between Mackenzie and Mayo that Morse had to mediate, even though it seems that argument actually was over what was to come with Monterrey Peninsula golf course.

TomP

I don't know about you, but for me, there is no mistaking these bunkers in the main look man-made.  Some are just too regular in height and how they circle greens.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom MacWood

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 06:12:15 AM »

Who is in the middle?

Mike Benham

The man in the middle is Roger Lapham. The three redesigned the course for the 1929 Amateur.

Sean Leary

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »

Who is in the middle?

Mike Benham

He looks too young in this pic to be Benham...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back