News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_Tully

Pebble Beach 1929 Hole by Hole updated***
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:21:44 PM »
Here are hole by hole sketches made prior to the 1929 US Am at Pebble Beach from The National GreenKeeper. I will add the inward nine tomorrow. enjoy.

Tully

Whole course

Hole #1

Hole #2

Hole#3

Hole #4

Hole #5

Hole #6

Hole #7

Hole #8

Hole #9

Hole #10

Hole #11

Hole #12

Hole #13

Hole #14

Hole #15

Hole #16

Hole #17

Hole #18

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:21:38 PM by Sean_Tully »

Ed Oden

Re: Pebble Beach 1929 Hole by Hole
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:38:45 PM »
Sean, these are outstanding!  If it's ok with you, I'd like to add them to the "Compilation of Routing Maps" thread once you get the back nine posted.  Is that a tree in the middle of the 9th fairway?

Ed

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:44:16 PM »
Tully, fabulous!  That is Pebble as I remember it from my high school days in the '50's.  No cart paths.  Those drawings really capture the spirit of Pebble Beach.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:23:07 AM by Bill_McBride »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:20:49 AM »
Sean, Fascinating! There is so much difference between these schematics and the course I got to now from the mid 90's to 2001. #9 might be the most similar, but still a little different.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 11:58:37 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Alex Miller

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:29:35 AM »
Agreed an amazing collection of pictures!

Adam, I thought that although 9 appears similar, it may have the greatest difference in strategy and playability to the current version (besides 5 of course). Having fairway out towards the cliffs makes it a much better hole IMHO.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 02:48:26 AM »
Good stuff Sean.  Glad to see you post as well.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 04:44:47 AM »
Sean,

Thought you'd like to see the THREE people responsible for the work at Pebble in 1929...

From the February 1928 issue of the American Golfer...

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 09:46:31 AM »
Sean comes up with the goods once again! Great stuff good sir!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Foley

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »
Great find!!!!!

Those are some very cool artistic renderings
Integrity in the moment of choice

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:51:39 AM »
A four-star find!  Thanks for sharing.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

jonathan_becker

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
Thanks, Sean.  These oldies are great. 

I love reading the captions as well.  My favorite is the #6 description, "Calls for 250 yard first and second shots."   ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 11:13:14 AM »
Agreed an amazing collection of pictures!

Adam, I thought that although 9 appears similar, it may have the greatest difference in strategy and playability to the current version (besides 5 of course). Having fairway out towards the cliffs makes it a much better hole IMHO.

I don't think being down by those cliffs was the best play - the slopes would take drives down onto the beach!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 12:10:01 PM »
Bill, Alex, Its hard to tell from the schematic if that right side is fairway. I know at one time it was, but, it may have been nixed by 1929.
Alex is correct that the green's more receptive from the angle the right side provides, especially if one is incapable of carrying a towering approach shot over the fronting left bunker, from a downhill lie. The hillside to the left of the green was/is steep enough to allow for a bounce, but nowadays, with the long rough and lush conditions, highly unlikely. 

The first hole is very interesting with the left side bunker. Currently, the left side has only a bunker in the front. But it also now has a chipping area where the back half of bunker in the schematic resides.

As I understand it, the teeing ground was originally back down at grade, approx. where the practice putting green is, or, at least where the wall of fame now exists. If that's true, the uphill nature of the hole would've been accentuated, making this opener no slouch. The angle, shape and orientation of the let fairway bunker is different today, but, it's placement is likely similar.

The 8th hole is very curious indeed, without the bunkers along the canyon rim well short of the green.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Richard Choi

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »
There is a picture in Golf Magazine this month that compares today's 7th hole with a picture from 1920's. I thought the original green was far superior to the today's version. I couldn't believe how bigger the green was back then.

Is it safe to assume that greens have grown smaller over the years on most holes?

Mike Tanner

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 01:27:37 PM »
Very cool. I'm looking forward to the back nine! Thanks for this blast from the past.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Ari Techner

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 02:29:22 AM »
Excellent thread Sean!  This is really neat stuff. 

I loved the end of the description for the 8th hole.  "Here, as on 6 other holes, the sandy beaches that border the ocean give spectacular opportunities for recovery shots."

Sean_Tully

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 10:24:33 PM »
Sean, these are outstanding!  If it's ok with you, I'd like to add them to the "Compilation of Routing Maps" thread once you get the back nine posted.  Is that a tree in the middle of the 9th fairway?

Ed

Ed-

There you go. Updated on my initial thread. Great job on your thread by the way.

Sean

Sean_Tully

Re: Pebble Beach 1929 Hole by Hole updated***
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 12:27:01 AM »
Here is a photo of the three amigos that would be involved in making the changes for the 1929 US Am.

Tully

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »
"Pebble Beach has an uncommon number of 3-shot holes but each is so varied that there is no monotony for the player" - interesting comment.

"pulled tee shot" on fifteen.

"Sandy badlands" and "natural trouble" on sixteen.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 08:35:38 AM »
Sean:

Do you know if PB and/or Neil Hoteling have seen those drawings before you found them?

It is also very interesting that all those drawings appear to have been done by Joe Mayo!

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »
I thought I would add a few photos so people can make a connection between the drawings and the way the course was presented for the '29 Amateur.  Hopefully Tully can add some more...

"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 04:51:43 PM »
Great photos!  That's a brave (or foolish  ::) ) caddy on the 4th green!

Michael Huber

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »
#1 The 7th green looks 137195721895360 times cooler in those old photos than todays green.

#2  The waste area/bunker/whatever you want to call it on #16 is also looks  a lot more interesting that the thing on #16 today. 

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »

This green looks huge when compared to today! I wonder what did more damage; the Pacific or the maintenance meld.

TEPaul

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 07:00:57 PM »
"This green looks huge when compared to today! I wonder what did more damage; the Pacific or the maintenance meld."

Michael Huber or Wyatt Halliday:

That point and ultimately that question you asked is one that has been with me for many years. It also seems just so ironic since the look of that green and its bunkering, and a number of others like it on the course in 1929 as well as a number of the holes and bunkers with the same look at CPC, just could be some of the most truly beautiful ever done in golf course architecture. And on top of that to think they were all completely designed and constructed not by Nature but by man.

The real irony is that they were apparently just so hard to maintain or at least to really "hold that look" via maintenance practices through time.

I have the distinct feeling that the difficulty in maintaining them or probably to say more accurately, to really "hold that look" (and the so-called "imitation sand dunes") was probably fairly obvious right out of the box and was probably the very thing that prompted that argument between Mackenzie and Mayo that Morse had to mediate, even though it seems that argument actually was over what was to come with Monterrey Peninsula golf course.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:09:08 PM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back