News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Re: Bunker in middle of green.
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 01:46:33 PM »
Tom D's "kitchen sink" remark hit home. We recently completed The Short Course at Mountain Shadows (AZ) and had 19 greens to create. While I had considered a "green bunker" over the last 30 or so years, it never came to light...until now. With 19 greens to create, and one shared, I decided that using a bunker to divide the double green could work, and be fun and novel.

It is basically an L-shaped green where each hole pays into a prong of the "L". The small bunker sits toward the L's angle where a hole location waits for either hole in the situation where the staff wants to put forth "something different."

https://aerialsphere.com/spheres/arizona/08312016/4/

In this link you can pan around to see the green while it was in grow-in. I regret not having a recent aerial, but may have one soon.

I an inclined to think the green bunker should NOT be overused, but with 19 greens in a single 18-hole round, I overcame the "kitchen sink" rut and decided it could make sense, and be a new experience for nearly all golfers.

BTW ... I also had the Tillinghast "bump of narly grass" within the green idea, but suppose this fell the way of "the laundry sink..."   :)

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2017, 04:11:40 PM »
An internal bunker between sections of a double/shared green sounds promising.
Any existing examples, apart from the one Forrest is working on?

Atb

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »
BTW — I meant to defend the Dismal-Nicklaus (Hole 10 I believe) green bunker. While Jay does not appear to like it, I found it interesting, especially for the green and my quick study of how you would putt around it if you found yourself on the wrong level or area. The day I played the hole was behind the bunker and someone in our group putted blindly right of the bunker, over a ridge and down into a punchbowl area where we held the flagstick high and yelled, "Over hear bud..."
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back