News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Greenway Golf Maintenance and Management....?!
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »
Who has heard of this company and particularly its seemingly sea-change or watershed approach to golf course turf management? It seems to say it relies on up to 70% less chemicals (fungicides and fertilizers), less water, true and perhaps permanent poa control etc.

I'm beginning to hear some seriously positive whispers in the hall on this and this company and approach from some respected people in the business. On its face it sounds a bit like the billion dollar agrononmic chemical industry's worst nightmare. Who's heard about it? For those who have, what's your feedback on Greenway, the company, and its seemingly revolutionary (environmentally friendly?)) approach to turf management?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:20:33 PM by TEPaul »

Tim Nugent

Re: Greenway Golf Maintenance and Management....?!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:24:47 PM »
Ask Tom D, their website claims they were responsible for the construction management at his restoration of The Valley Club.
Coasting is a downhill process

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:29:05 PM »
OK, I'm asking Tom D.

Joshua Pettit

Re: Greenway Golf Maintenance and Management....?! New
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:11:35 PM »
I've worked with Greenway, and in my mind they are the best in the business when it comes to Agronomic Consulting.  I know their practices have been considered controversial amongst other professionals in the business, at least in the United States -- but this is a results driven business, and they continue to deliver better results than their competitors.  I've seen it first hand over and over again.  AND they manage to do it in a way that is more fiscally and environmentally sustainable -- hence the more recent "positive whispers" you speak of.  

Revolutionary?  Yes and No depending on how you look at it.  The truth is that the majority of the practices they utilize can be traced back over 100 years.  Agronomic chemical industry's worst nightmare?  You bet.  Although Greenway probably won't get the credit they deserve in the long run, they are certainly at the forefront of an environmental movement within the golf industry.  I've been in meetings with Greenway guys, superintendents and turf chemical reps, and there were definitely some awkward moments.

American Golfers:  Get down with brown!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 08:16:58 AM by Joshua Pettit »
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Matt Day

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:21:24 AM »
Marc Logan was a superintendent at Mt Lawley GC in Perth before moving to the US with his wife. I had a good chat with him at the golf show in San Diego in February.

From what I have read and what he has told me it sounds like he has taken most of the turf management practices he used in Perth, adapted them to the US market and its producing results. It seems to be a controversial subject with some US supers?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back