News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Totally OT: UK Elections
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:40:41 PM »
I was just now reflecting on how wonderful it is vote where I live.  A campaign which lasts a few months.  A polling station in my village manned by two hairy blokes and with no line.  Only one issue on the ballot - which party takes #10.  Speaking of the ballot; a piece of paper cut in half with the five candidates names and parties.  Tick the box you like with a short pencil attached by string to the "private booth" (a tall, round cafe-like table with office-like dividers creating four "booths".  Presumably the hairy blokes take what looked like a picnic cooler back to headquarters rather than chucking the ballots into the Avon on the way to the pub - not that it would matter much of they did - tee hee. 

Its gonna be a close election, but that isn't terribly important.  Not that I wouldn't be sorry to see the back end of Brown on his way back to Scotland.  What is important is the democratic process and man am I lucky to live in a country with such a process.  I always think that on election days we should spare a thought for those that died on the battlefields to preserve our right to vote and I don't know of a better way to honour these men than by heading to your local polling station.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Dale Jackson

Re: Totally OT: UK Elections
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:23:29 PM »
Sean, I could not agree more, it seems the countries in the western world love to dump all over themselves, but we should pause now and again and realize how lucky we are.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

James Boon

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:26:15 PM »
Well Sean, it's a pretty long queue to vote in this little Derby suburb! Thank goodness for my iPhone...

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 05:52:15 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:42:38 PM »
Iposted my absentee ballot a few eeks ago, and like Sean love the few weeks of election retoric versus the year long faisco that we have to tolerate on this side of the pond...the shear waste of money that year long process costs is mind boggling...but then again that is just the way it is.....
not going to criticise each to their own ;D
God Bless the red white and blue of both sides of the pond 8)

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »
Here, Here!!

If only the UK would make the logical move to a PR system. It must be quite depressing for many voters to see their vote count for nothing because of first past the post system. PR isn't perfect, but it's better than what exists in the UK at the moment.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:55:26 AM »
Glad we all enjoyed it, unfortunately it looks like we all get to do it again within a year.  I am drawn towards PR but if the parties can't agree an effective coalition at a time when we need governance, what hope for a permanently hung Parliament?

I can't help but feel joy that the fascist in Barking and Dagenham was given his chance to speak up and then the electorate told him to shut up. The local empty vessels thought this was their chance.  

One of my ex employees, known to my partner and I as "The Shop Steward", moved from B&D to Brighton!  It appears that the face of radical politics in Britain has changed. Another pleasing result even if it came in, another area I know well, La La Land.  ;D

Britain remains a fine place to live.  

Now about the pound in our pockets...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:16:20 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Dale Jackson

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:03:44 AM »
Glad we all enjoyed it, unfortunately it looks like we all get to do it again within a year.  I am drawn towards PR but if the parties can't agree an effective coalition at a time when we need governance, what hope for a permanently hung Parliament?

Tony and all our UK brethren, it has been interesting to follow the UK campaign and election, and the angst your countrymen seem to feel about about a hung Parliament.  In Canada we are quite used to what we call minority governments and some have been the most productive in recent times.  They are not all bad!

Mind you with the deteriorating situation in Greece and other EU countries it would be nice to have a stable, fiscally responsible government.  Hopefully, you have elected the latter.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 02:59:01 AM »
That the leader of Her Majesty's opposition would appear not to have won a majority of seats after several years of one of the worst leaders in modern history, is quite amazing.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 03:36:43 AM »
That the leader of Her Majesty's opposition would appear not to have won a majority of seats after several years of one of the worst leaders in modern history, is quite amazing.
Mark,

I understand you live in Australia.  I wonder then how qualified you are to pass an opinion on Mr Brown's leadership?  I don't think you should believe everything that nice Mr Murdoch's press tell you.

Mark_F

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 04:23:22 AM »
I don't think you should believe everything that nice Mr Murdoch's press tell you.

Mark,

No, but I do believe everything that nice Mr Warren's paper, the Daily Mail, tells me.

There is also the matter of a rather recent invention, the airplane.  Perhaps you have heard of them?  ;D

Not to mention relatives too numerous to mention who reside in the UK.

I would have thought Britain's fiscal position alone was enough to cement Gordon's place in history. 

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 04:29:05 AM »
I don't think you should believe everything that nice Mr Murdoch's press tell you.

Mark,

No, but I do believe everything that nice Mr Warren's paper, the Daily Mail, tells me.

There is also the matter of a rather recent invention, the airplane.  Perhaps you have heard of them?  ;D

Not to mention relatives too numerous to mention who reside in the UK.

I would have thought Britain's fiscal position alone was enough to cement Gordon's place in history. 

Please stop!  I can feel an anti-Brown (better known in my household as the Scots Cretin) rant coming on and I want to glide into the weekend with peaceful thoughts. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Martin Toal

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 04:31:35 AM »
Regardless of who won or lost, it appears that the idyllic picture of voting described by Sean (which I also experienced) was not experienced by people in Manchester, Sheffield etc who queued for hours and were turned away at 10 pm.

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 04:39:25 AM »
Regardless of who won or lost, it appears that the idyllic picture of voting described by Sean (which I also experienced) was not experienced by people in Manchester, Sheffield etc who queued for hours and were turned away at 10 pm.

Martin

There is something to be said for village life - tee hee.  Additionally, what can people expect when they turn out at the poll at 7pm?  That is like going to Thorpe Park on a Bank Holiday and expecting no lines or coming back from Cornwall/Devon on a Bank Holiday and expecting light traffic. 

One of the coolest things about the election here is there is no media commentary until the polls close.  It certainly makes for a relaxing voting day. 

Ciao 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 05:06:05 AM »
Sean,

Ithink they'd have been fine if they had turned out at 7pm.  Seems to me there were plenty turned out at 9.30 or later.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 05:12:35 AM »
Sean

On the polling card it clearly said that the polls are open from 7 am until 10 pm. In some respects people did leave it late or didn't read the rules and have themselves to blame. This is another case of media over exaggeration and individuals who should have realised that it would be jam packed at 10pm like a rush hour road traffic. If they extend the time it would take longer to find out the result. In other respects I agree that every one should vote but rules are rules.

Cheers
Ben

Jon Earl

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 05:38:08 AM »
Mark,

I understand you live in Australia.  I wonder then how qualified you are to pass an opinion on Mr Brown's leadership?  I don't think you should believe everything that nice Mr Murdoch's press tell you.

Mark P, to be fair Mark F makes a valid point. The outcome of this election reflects as badly on Cameron as it does Brown.

Anyone who lives and works in this country doesn't need to read the papers to see what a mess Brown has made of this country. The fact that we may have to put up with that 'Scots cretin' for a while yet makes me quite depressed. :(
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Martin Toal

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 05:41:35 AM »

Martin

There is something to be said for village life - tee hee.  Additionally, what can people expect when they turn out at the poll at 7pm?  That is like going to Thorpe Park on a Bank Holiday and expecting no lines or coming back from Cornwall/Devon on a Bank Holiday and expecting light traffic. 

One of the coolest things about the election here is there is no media commentary until the polls close.  It certainly makes for a relaxing voting day. 

Ciao 

Sean

I had the same experience as you. Arrived at 8am and there were two people sitting reading the paper. Nobody else there.

I think there is some mismanagement of the election process in some places, though. There are people who claim to have queued ffrom 7 or 8pm, and if I had been one of them, I would feel disenfranchised. Well, more disenfranchised than I already do in an ultra safe seat whose outcome was a foregone conclusion.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 08:45:06 AM »
Sean, I think you're being modest.  Surely your regional agitating led to the ousters of Jacqui Smith, Evan Harris, and that Kidderminster Hospital fellow in Wyre Forest.   :) 

For all I know, you had more to do with Opik's loss than that Cheeky Girl, though I note that Labour still control the Gower constituency (which really should be renamed Pennard, don't you think?).  Well, one more target for the follow-on.

One massive advantage over the US system:  No (two-)year-long campaigns.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »
Mark,

Jon,

It would be unwise to turn this into a poloitcal thread, which it isn't.  I'll just say that if you think George Osborne is likely to have a beneficial effect on the economy you are likely to be sadly disappointed.
Mark P, to be fair Mark F makes a valid point. The outcome of this election reflects as badly on Cameron as it does Brown.

Anyone who lives and works in this country doesn't need to read the papers to see what a mess Brown has made of this country. The fact that we may have to put up with that 'Scots cretin' for a while yet makes me quite depressed. :(

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 08:20:22 PM »
Can I ask a question why they have their elections in the UK on a weekday, in this case a Thursday? Here in Australia all our elections, state and federal are held on a Saturday. Makes it so much easier for people to get to vote. And our polls shut at 6pm as a result.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 09:14:14 PM »
Neil

Not sure about UK but in my home state of Louisiana we hold elections on Saturdays because during the week we'd only have enough time to vote once.

Mark

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »
Hah!
You know what they say - vote early and vote often!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »
True, unless you're dead.  Then you only get to vote once.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2010, 05:26:05 AM »
Personally I vote Harry Redknapp for Prime Minister. 

"Oh when the Spurs go marching in, Oh when the Spurs go marchin in...."

Levy can be chancellor of the Exchequer to ensure the country doesn't go the way of Portsmouth  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back