News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Oden

Re: Pennard
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »
I have never played Pennard.  Hopefully I can change that some day since the pictures I have really seen fit my eye.  The moonscape features just look like pure fun.  That being said, do wildly random undulations of the type at Pennard at some point clash with the notion of a stategic course?  It seems to me that there comes a point when the playing field becomes so unpredictable that there is no meaningful strategy involved.  You just hit and hope and leave your fate to the golf gods.  I have no idea when that line is crossed or even whether doing so is good or bad.

Ed

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 01:47:12 PM »
I think Pennard is a great course but with faults and those faults clearly mean more to some than others. Conditioning is suspect and that to many will halt is rise into the top 100 GB & I. The blindness and uneveness to many is a big minus. Personally I like it but I can see both sides and understand how a better player might not like it.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

George Pazin

Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

James Boon

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »
Reading this thread just has me wishing away the time till Buda. I'm sure we will resurrect this thread soon after our adventures there in Septmber... Thanks Ian and Sean and others!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ian Andrew

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 09:49:55 PM »
I don't have much to disagree about which makes me wonder how you came to your conclusion unless you are saying the course is good, but no world beater.

I think that's an accurate assesment.

I agree with you comments about beauty and the joy of playing over such diverse ground at Pennard.
I may have been looking too hard to find new architectural ideas to steal and missed the overall feel of the course.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 10:29:42 PM »
Ian, what were the safety issues you noticed at Pennard?

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 02:55:24 AM »
Sean,

Is it possible for you to go back to the first time you played Pennard and recount your impressions?

Kelly

Yes, I still have clear memories of my first two rounds and how spell bound I was by the golf.  I had never seen anything like Pennard at the time despite already having played a great many courses in GB&I.  In fact, Pennard may have been a wake up call for me as to how I view architecture today.  To give you an idea of how much I liked Pennard, I joined after the front nine of my second game.  So on the back nine I was a member.  That is getting on to 10 years ago and I haven't had a wake up call kinda of feeling but one more time - Kington.  Although I was deeply impressed by teh man-made work at Huntercombe and New Zealand and these courses show how flat isn't necessarily a bad thing.

TDunne

The only thing I can think of concerning safety issues at Pennard is the public foot paths, but this system is well established and no more dangerous than if a golfer is not paying attention on less trafficed courses.  Honestly, I don't know what else Ian could mean.  

Ciao  
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:25:40 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ian Andrew

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 08:42:48 AM »

The 1st landing is right beside the 10th tee (a nice place to miss)

The 4th tee hits over the 3rd green with a landing area 20 yards right of the 7th tee (with OB right - a great place to bail).

The 15th tee is right beside the high side of the 12th landing (trying to hold the slope - you almost need to aim at that area)

The 17th landing is blind from the tee and we were hit into from the 17th tee "and 16th tee" as we waited to play our next shot

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »

The 1st landing is right beside the 10th tee (a nice place to miss)

The 4th tee hits over the 3rd green with a landing area 20 yards right of the 7th tee (with OB right - a great place to bail).

The 15th tee is right beside the high side of the 12th landing (trying to hold the slope - you almost need to aim at that area)

The 17th landing is blind from the tee and we were hit into from the 17th tee "and 16th tee" as we waited to play our next shot

Ian

What you fail to mention is that the tee shots on #s1, 4, 12 and 15 are in full view of others and others should be paying attention to what is going on around them.  There is no reason why these shots need be more dangerous than untold numbers of shots on untold courses.  In fact, I would say they are safer than many tights shots which use trees for screens.  #17 is a "bell" hole.  These are very common - not ideal - but common and sometimes these are brilliant holes.  I understand that there are many spots that aren't ideal from a modern view point of design safety, but I am not at all sure there isn the amount of land available or the type of flatish land or land runnng through dunes at Pennard to avoid creating a course where folks don't need to pay attention to others - unless there was to be a complete overhaul of the routing and a serious grading of the property.  We must remember than when Pennard was built a 200 yard drive was a bigun' so the archie cannot be at fault for the "hot spots".  If you were to label the hot spots you mentioned as dangerous enough to require altering, than many, many holes in the UK would need to be altered.  To be fair, some have been and the result is usually not satisfactory from an arch9
itectural PoV.  In fact, the 4th used to be a par 5 bending around the oob but too many balls kept landing in the property bordering the oob.  It was though a safer option to play over the 3rd green.  Hopefully it never becomes too harsh with the health and safety lot.   Honestly, you are the first person I have ever heard say that the course is dangerous.  Most people complain about all the footpaths and/or grazing animals.  I can probably count on one hand how many times I thought a hole was too dangerous, but the one that always stands out to me as crossing the line is Painswick's 8/9 combo with a blind shared fairway.

Ciao   
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Richard Fisher

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2022, 04:00:02 PM »
The many Pennard enthusiasts on GCA will be pleased to learn that it features extensively in the new Britbox adaptation of Agatha Christie’s Why Didn’t They Ask Evans? Our hero is named Bobby Jones, just to add to the fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back