News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: Starting Sat., 5/1 - Get To Know Jim Colton
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 04:25:48 PM »
Jim,

Do you ever play glow ball golf at Ballyneal?  I would imagine night golf under a full moon in the chop hills would be unlike any other.  Any critters to worry about out there bigger or badder than the box turtles and rattlesnakes we've seen on gca?

I've read your book so I know you are a big Star Wars fan.  At what age did you first see a SW film and which did you see first?  Your favorite?

I loved participating in the mock draft threads you started as they were a lot of fun.  Can we count on seeing one or both again this winter?  Any plans for something a little different?

Last question: Do we have to pay by CC at Ballyneal???  My wife is going to kill me when she sees how much my weekend in CO is going to cost. Seriously, I'm a dead man.  Can't I just plush you up with a stack of C-notes when I arrive?  

Young Obi-Wan Eric, have you not yet learned that you must have a credit card where the statement is sent to your office rather than home?  This is one of the serious keys to happy home life and golf travel.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:02:31 PM by Bill_McBride »

Jim Tang

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 04:40:06 PM »
A "Get to Know Jim Colton" thread!!!!  Now I've seen it all.....

1.  I realize I'm a tremendous source of fodder when it comes to me being your whipping boy.  Am I doomed to this role for all eternity or could someone else perhaps take the mantle down the road?

2.  Will the Cubs win the World Series in our lifetime?

3.  What do you consider the strength of your golf game? (other than playing recovery shots from yucca)

4.  If Vegas put it on the board, what would the odds be that your team will defeat Team Jefe and win the 2011 Ballynizzle Cup?

5.  List your top 3 lifetime experiences on the golf course, you know, those moments where you say...."Ahhhh, this is what it's all about..."

JC Jones

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 04:40:23 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  Where were you when I decided to let my wife run the house finances?  I couldn't pay a CC bill that went to the office because she would see the cash coming out of the bank account.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

George Pazin

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010, 04:50:06 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  Where were you when I decided to let my wife run the house finances?  I couldn't pay a CC bill that went to the office because she would see the cash coming out of the bank account.

That's why you should always have some business of your own, even if it is only tiny enough to hide a ride of golf (from the missus, not the IRS, of course). :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill_McBride

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »

That's why you should always have some business of your own, even if it is only tiny enough to hide a ride of golf (from the missus, not the IRS, of course). :)

This is true, you also need a separate money market fund (aka 'SLUSH FUND') to pay those American Express bills.

The very bad news is that once that horse is out of the barn, there's no getting him back again.

Jim Colton

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2010, 05:27:57 PM »
Being the BBall , did you (assume you did) and do you still lace em up?

BTW - whose the 2nd best player of all time??

On the golf side - Have you done the SCotland / Engalnd Ireland pilgramage yet & what are your thoughts?

What is on your wish list of places to see??

1. The Tang Bros. can attest, I'm nothing more than a garbage player in hoops.  All heart and hustle, low on talent unfortunately.  I love playing and played pick-up/rec league ball religously up until a few years ago.  The chance of tearing an ACL an missing golf season was too big a risk to take.  Plus in a rec league game I banged heads with a teammate and spinal fluid started dripping out of my nose.  I took that as a sign that maybe I should hang em up.

2.  Next to MJ, you mean?  I'll go with Bill Russell.  Right now, I'm a huge Kevin Durant fan and hope he becomes one of the all-time greats.

3.  My wife and I did the Scott Warren thing and worked in London for a stint, pre-kids.  We did more traveling/sightseeing around Europe than golfing, but we did St Andrews, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, etc.  Actually I'd move back in a heartbeat if the right opportunity presented itself.

4. Golf-wise?  I was fortunate to knock off two courses on the ol' bucket list in the last year.  I hope that doesn't mean I have one foot in the grave.  Assuming time is on my side, the great thing w/ the list is you can simply replenish.  I think my list of courses to see and/or play in the U.S. would be: 1. NGLA; 2. Pine Valley; 3. Merion; 4. Oakmont.  I've been to Augusta twice for practice rounds -- like most I would love to play it someday but am not holding my breath. International: Royal County Down and Cape Kidnappers.  Royal Melbourne, Barnbougle/Lost Farm.  No major surprises.

Jim Colton

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »
Can we get some handicapping lines for The Yucca?

Choi and Santodomingo 400-1

Jim Colton

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2010, 05:41:41 PM »
Jim,

Do you ever play glow ball golf at Ballyneal?  I would imagine night golf under a full moon in the chop hills would be unlike any other.  Any critters to worry about out there bigger or badder than the box turtles and rattlesnakes we've seen on gca?

I've read your book so I know you are a big Star Wars fan.  At what age did you first see a SW film and which did you see first?  Your favorite?

I loved participating in the mock draft threads you started as they were a lot of fun.  Can we count on seeing one or both again this winter?  Any plans for something a little different?

Last question: Do we have to pay by CC at Ballyneal???  My wife is going to kill me when she sees how much my weekend in CO is going to cost. Seriously, I'm a dead man.  Can't I just plush you up with a stack of C-notes when I arrive?  

1. I've played glow ball at Stone Creek miniature golf course w/ Jefe back in 1995, does that count?  Come to think of it, he might actually have Stone Creek on his 'list'

2. I was 3 or 4 when the original came out, so I probably never saw that one in the theatre.  I remember seeing Empire Strikes Back in the theatre, that may have been the first movie I ever went to.  A New Hope is my favorite one.  You could watch that 50 years from now and say, "that was a damn good movie."  I'm not a huge Star Wars nut, but I wouldn't have married anybody who a) didn't like golf or b) didn't like Star Wars.  Thankfully, my wife passed both tests with flying colors.

The more I think about it, I would've been happier if they never made the second trilogy.  But it's obvious why they did it.  The current generation of Star Wars fans are even more frenzied than the last, and most were born well-after any of those movies were in the theatre.  My 8-year old knows every character, every ship, every planet.  The Clone Wars is going to be an never-ending battle.

3. I don't think we'll (or I'll) do another fantasy draft unless we can come up with a fresh twist on it.  I liked the dream course one, as you had to really think if you were trying to put together a course that flowed well.  Also, I know I did more research on golf holes and courses during those two weeks than any other period in my life, so if that's true for others as well, than it was a worthwhile exercise.  That said, I was glad when they were over.  Fantasy commish job is a thankless job whether it's football, hoops or golf courses.

4.  You can settle your tab with the club with a fat stack.  Of cash.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:16:27 PM by Jim Colton »

Jim Colton

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2010, 06:05:38 PM »
A "Get to Know Jim Colton" thread!!!!  Now I've seen it all.....

1.  I realize I'm a tremendous source of fodder when it comes to me being your whipping boy.  Am I doomed to this role for all eternity or could someone else perhaps take the mantle down the road?

2.  Will the Cubs win the World Series in our lifetime?

3.  What do you consider the strength of your golf game? (other than playing recovery shots from yucca)

4.  If Vegas put it on the board, what would the odds be that your team will defeat Team Jefe and win the 2011 Ballynizzle Cup?

5.  List your top 3 lifetime experiences on the golf course, you know, those moments where you say...."Ahhhh, this is what it's all about..."

1.  Death would be the only potential scenario I could envision, but even then it's still 50/50.  Some were destined for greatness.  You were destined for this.  Embrace it.  It all stems from a place of love.

2. Unfortunately, yes (unless my last answer gave you any ideas, then no.  Don't do it!).  The big market teams in baseball have a distinct advantage and sooner or later, they'll get their due.

3.  Honestly, I think playing out of yucca is my only strength.  I can't think of any areas that are above average.  What do you think?

4.  1:5 because the rosters are going to be STACKED in my favor next time 'round.  Mayhugh is definitely playing for Team Jefenator.  And the chances of you going 5-0 again are slim and none.

5.  I can think of many more than 3 off the top of my head.  A few:
  - Playing World Woods with my wife and kids last year after Nana's funeral.
  - Seeing my son walk down the fairway with the mini-stand bag double-strapped to his back.  Gets me everytime.
  - Walking 36 with my wife at Kingsbarns in 2000
  - That afternoon we were at Ballyneal and I forged on after you quit after 45 holes.  The sun coming down over the 13th hole was probably the biggest 'Wow' moment I've ever had on a golf course.  I'm just glad you weren't there to spoil it.
  - That afternoon we played Pac Dunes and in that ridiculous wind.  I started that 5-iron on 11 about 40 yards over the cliff and my ball ended up 30 yards right of the green.
  - Any round w/ Charles
  - Countless memories w/ Jefe.  I remember soldiering on through heavy rains at Prairie Landing.  We thought the worst was behind us, then looking down the 16th fairway, you could see this wall of water coming down towards us.  I've never seen anything like it.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:00:25 PM by Jim Colton »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2010, 06:07:30 PM »
Jim, thank God "A New Hope" is the new name for the original, it was all downhill from there.   Here's the original trailer, it's slow but has a lot of key footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvqpFbRKtQ

Scott Szabo

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2010, 06:08:37 PM »

Where can I send my $10?

I'm thinking the Colton and Halliday group is a lock.  I'm sure everyone will want to be invited back, so throwing a match against the host is almost a given.....

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Joe Perches

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2010, 06:11:26 PM »
This is true, you also need a separate money market fund (aka 'SLUSH FUND') to pay those American Express bills.

There is the possibility of asking the employer to cut multiple bonus checks
or ask for a portion of any raise to be paid into a separate account.

Sorry, didn't get the big bonus/raise this year...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »

There is the possibility of asking the employer to cut multiple bonus checks
or ask for a portion of any raise to be paid into a separate account.

Sorry, didn't get the big bonus/raise this year...

Or I guess you could just be honest with your wife about your addiction and she would be understanding.

Oh yeah.   ;D

Richard Choi

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2010, 06:13:12 PM »
Scott, you are crazy. 400-1 seems pretty generous.

My money is on Spaulding. What is the line on him?

Jim Colton

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2010, 06:14:07 PM »

Where can I send my $10?

I'm thinking the Colton and Halliday group is a lock.  I'm sure everyone will want to be invited back, so throwing a match against the host is almost a given.....

That's good to know, because I think we've got you in the first round.

I think Spaulding was practicing his tanking skills when he spraying the ball all over the lot at Cypress Point.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2010, 06:20:36 PM »
Scott, you are crazy. 400-1 seems pretty generous.

My money is on Spaulding. What is the line on him?

I don't care how good he is - if you cut the hamstring on the back of his leg, right at the bottom.  He'll never play golf again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right.  He'll never come through on anything.  He'll quit the game.  

Sorry, couldn't resist the old quote from Caddyshack.

That being said, he'll probably run away with the thing....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Scott Szabo

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »

Where can I send my $10?

That's good to know, because I think we've got you in the first round.

I think Spaulding was practicing his tanking skills when he spraying the ball all over the lot at Cypress Point.

That would be fun.  Any chance I can get the Tang brothers to come caddie for my team? 

Jim Tang

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2010, 07:29:53 PM »
Colton -

Your strength is your driving.  When he's right, Colton can bomb it 320 right down the middle which leads to easy pars and many birdie chances.  I sense the driver coming back and thus, sub 80 rounds once again for JC. 

Brad Swanson

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
1.  Who are your biggest hgip-hop influences (beyond Snoop)?

2.  Will you be up in WI with your sticks anytime this summer?

Jim Colton

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2010, 08:00:12 PM »
1.  Who are your biggest hgip-hop influences (beyond Snoop)?

2.  Will you be up in WI with your sticks anytime this summer?

1.  Chuck D

2. I heard a rumor that the Texan responsible for one-third of the Triple Buzzsaw may be coming to Green Lake in July. Maybe you can exact some revenge, assuming you've made it out of the fetal position by then.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:33:10 AM by Jim Colton »

Dale Jackson

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2010, 08:32:17 PM »
Not often Star Wars has the chance to be discussed on this DG.

I seem to remember way, way back (I am old enough to have been the very first showing of SW IV in Vancouver) that George Lucas had mapped out 9 episodes - IV - VI, then I - III and finishing with VII - IX. 

My question: Given your reaction to I to III, would you like to see three more made?
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jim Colton

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
I think you leave well enough alone.  I would like to see them expand that Wookie holiday special into a movie. It's too bad Bea Arthur is no longer around.

Bea Arthur and Star Wars...hard-hitting stuff here.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2010, 09:57:11 PM »
JC

1. How long till we see you "down under" ?

2. What's the extent of your "Links" golf experience ?

Jim Colton

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »
JC

1. How long till we see you "down under" ?

1. Not for awhile, unfortunately.  My wife wants to go to Aus/NZ as part of an extended family vacation, but that won't happen until my kids are much older.

2. Well, the aforementioned courses in Scotland.  Bandon.  Ballyneal.  Does Links at Spanish Bay count?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »
JC

2. Well, the aforementioned courses in Scotland.  Bandon.  Ballyneal.  Does Links at Spanish Bay count?

TOC / Carnoustie / Kingsbarns + ?

No Spanish Bay doesn't count - Sand Hills on the other hand...  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back