News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Re: Starting Sat., 5/1 - Get To Know Jim Colton
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2010, 12:13:19 AM »
Have you ever taken advantage of the hunting at Ballyneal?

As someone who does a lot of work with numbers how covered is your scorecard?

Do you ever play golf in Chicagoland?

1.  Never. I'd certainly pull a Catfish Hunter.

2.  I rarely keep score anymore, and even when I did post scores, I'd usually just kept track in my head.

3.  I've played once this year, which brings me halfway to my total rounds played in Illinois last year.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:15:58 AM by Jim Colton »

Ron Csigo

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2010, 10:31:14 AM »
Jim,

If your marriage and work allowed you to join a club in the Chicagoland area, which course would it be and why?

Besides Coore/Crenshaw, Doak and Dye designs, which golf course architect's courses do you enjoy most?

If you were Jerry Krause/Jerry Reinsdorf for a day, what offseason moves would you make in order to get the Bulls back to the NBA Finals?  Don't say Kobe or LeBron.   :)

Who's a better golfer, Jimbo or Jefe? 

You don't need to answer the last question.  I know you hold them both in high regard. 
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Ben Sims

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2010, 10:57:52 AM »
The last greeting that Jim and I shared was on the 7th fairway at Kingsley Club.  It was a combination of old friend how ya doin's and the falsetto screeching usually reserved for bouffant coifed women in Texas.   I had known him for two months.  If there is anyone on this earth that can get more excited than I about the meeting of grass, ground, sand and sky, it's Jim.  We were at Kingsley Club and nothing else mattered.  That's the way it was 2 months earlier in Holyoke.  We were at Ballyneal and nothing else mattered except the golf course and the friend on it.  It was Jim that introduced me to "internet golf", and because of him, I've been fortunate enough to see some special golf courses.  Like another very generous person has said to me, "it's the best internet dating site there is." 

To the questions.

1)  In a sentence, why did Cypress go to #1 on your vaunted list? 

2)  When did you start wearing the orange "I" hat as a trademark?  (bonus--did you not wear it after UGA put the beat down on the Illini?)

3)  Pick one player/architect (i.e. not a guy like Tom D or Mike D) to build your dream course.

4)  Now pick an architect to collaborate with him/her.

5)  Where is this dream course?

6)  Did you ever officially thank my back for 9 holes at Crystal?

7)  If everything in your life was EXACTLY the same as today and someone offered you a membership to Sand Hills or Friar's Head, which one would you pick and why? (I'm aware you haven't seen Friar's)

8)  Who owns the biggest calves you've ever seen on a golf course?

More to follow...

Jim Colton

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »
Jim,

If your marriage and work allowed you to join a club in the Chicagoland area, which course would it be and why?

Besides Coore/Crenshaw, Doak and Dye designs, which golf course architect's courses do you enjoy most?

If you were Jerry Krause/Jerry Reinsdorf for a day, what offseason moves would you make in order to get the Bulls back to the NBA Finals?  Don't say Kobe or LeBron.   :)

Who's a better golfer, Jimbo or Jefe?  

You don't need to answer the last question.  I know you hold them both in high regard.  
1.  Chicago Golf, mainly because it's the closest course to my house and also with my hook, I'd never hit one o.b.
2.  I've played my first two Mackenzie courses in the last year; and they were both fantastic. I haven't played a CB Mac yet, but I'm currently reading the Evangelist (awesome book, by the way). NGLA is the number one course I want to see.
3.  I think the Bulls have to at least try to make a run at Bron. The have some good pieces in place, add Lebron to the mix and it's an instant dynasty in the making. Probably wishful thinking though. I have no faith in Paxs/Gar doing anything right. Their track record is pretty poor. Maybe they can get Wade to come back home; which would make them top 2-3 in the East.
4.  High regard?  You must be confusing me with someone else. Jefe usually has the edge over whipping boy, but it's always a good match.  
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:16:44 PM by Jim Colton »

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »
Jim

I was just trying to loosen everyone up so I figured by topping the ball over and over again everyone would laugh and our host would be like who invited this guy ? At least I learned you have the worst eye sight for a forecaddie ever so don't quit your day job ;)

It saddens me that I can't get to my questions just yet as work calls but don't worry I'll get back to you. I know you can't wait .

Brad

Jim Colton

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »
The last greeting that Jim and I shared was on the 7th fairway at Kingsley Club.  It was a combination of old friend how ya doin's and the falsetto screeching usually reserved for bouffant coifed women in Texas.   I had known him for two months.  If there is anyone on this earth that can get more excited than I about the meeting of grass, ground, sand and sky, it's Jim.  We were at Kingsley Club and nothing else mattered.  That's the way it was 2 months earlier in Holyoke.  We were at Ballyneal and nothing else mattered except the golf course and the friend on it.  It was Jim that introduced me to "internet golf", and because of him, I've been fortunate enough to see some special golf courses.  Like another very generous person has said to me, "it's the best internet dating site there is." 

To the questions.

1)  In a sentence, why did Cypress go to #1 on your vaunted list? 

2)  When did you start wearing the orange "I" hat as a trademark?  (bonus--did you not wear it after UGA put the beat down on the Illini?)

3)  Pick one player/architect (i.e. not a guy like Tom D or Mike D) to build your dream course.

4)  Now pick an architect to collaborate with him/her.

5)  Where is this dream course?

6)  Did you ever officially thank my back for 9 holes at Crystal?

7)  If everything in your life was EXACTLY the same as today and someone offered you a membership to Sand Hills or Friar's Head, which one would you pick and why? (I'm aware you haven't seen Friar's)

8)  Who owns the biggest calves you've ever seen on a golf course?

More to follow...

1. Because I woke up on my left side that morning.
2. I don't know, probably in 2005 or so. I take my kids to one basketball game a year, and stock up on hats every time.  I did wear it after the UGA beatdown, although that loss probably cost us a NCAA bid. Can't lose to really, really bad teams.
3. Steve Stricker
4. You really think I'd pass up the opportunity to say, I'm on a Doak! on my very own course?
5. Adjacent to Ballyneal. Honestly, I told my wife if I ever won the lottery, I'd build a course as part of a golf-centered summer camp for kids.  I imagine it would be on some lake in Wisconsin.
6. No, but I can thank your amazing skills as a thespian.  Oscar-caliber stuff there.
7. My gut is saying Sand Hills
8. I still think they were implants.  Everything about the guy was so vain and superficial.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 05:35:43 PM »
How on earth do you stay in good enough shape to play 45-54-45 at Ballyneal when you only play twice a year at home? Are you some kind of human/machine hybrid?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Jim Colton

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 06:18:36 PM »
How on earth do you stay in good enough shape to play 45-54-45 at Ballyneal when you only play twice a year at home? Are you some kind of human/machine hybrid?

Definitely not in-shape.  I love the feeling of the dogs barking after walking 54 holes.  If there's enough sunlight to keep playing, I'm going to keep playing.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 09:49:21 PM »
Jim,

Which hole at Ballyneal gives you fits or is toughest for you to score on?  Which hole (other than the 7th) gets you excited the most from a scoring opportunity basis?

What's your low round out there?  Is this the year you finally break 80 at Ballyneal?

Jim Colton

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 10:02:28 PM »
Jim,

Which hole at Ballyneal gives you fits or is toughest for you to score on?  Which hole (other than the 7th) gets you excited the most from a scoring opportunity basis?

What's your low round out there?  Is this the year you finally break 80 at Ballyneal?

The sixth hole is the toughest on the course.  Long par 4 to a small green with a run-off area right.  I parred it the first time I played it and I'm not sure if I've parred it since.  17 has always been a tough driving hole for me as well.

The 8th is probably your second best chance at birdie, although I've probably had even more success on #3.  I try to hit a hard gap wedge or PW to the left ridge and enjoy watching it shoot across the green.

I'm not sure what my lowest score is out there,it's probably 80-81.  Most of the time I play for fun or play match play.  I know I've never broken 80 out there, thanks for bringing it up!  I used to break 80 probably 7-8 times out of 10, so it's definitely been an adjustment.  I've heard Ballyneal described as easy, but I must be playing a different course than them.  It's fair and scoreable.  It's there for the taking if the wind is down.  But you need to be able to hit the shots.  If the wind is up, you're going to have a hard time getting in the right quadrant of the greens, and two-putting is going to be a real challenge.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 12:11:25 AM »
Jim, when playing Ballyneal with someone and it's their first trip around the track, are you prone to give good advice as to where to hit it?  Or, offer encouragement but still hope they get into the wrong quadrant on the green, especially in match play?   ;)

Jim Colton

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 12:41:10 AM »
Jim, when playing Ballyneal with someone and it's their first trip around the track, are you prone to give good advice as to where to hit it?  Or, offer encouragement but still hope they get into the wrong quadrant on the green, especially in match play?   ;)

Did you read my last post?  I'm the last guy who should be giving advice.  Maybe where not to hit it ("Stay out of the yucca").

Seriously, I try to stay out of the way as best I can.

JC Jones

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 07:28:30 AM »
Jim,

I know you don't like the praise for your generosity but I'm going to give it yet again.  Your offers to play Ballyneal (I'm sorry I cant take advantage this year, btw) and your amazon fund raising are very kind and admirable.

Should Bruce Weber be fired?  Is it just me, or is Bill Self a better recruiter than coach?

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 10:44:08 AM »
Jim,

I know you don't like the praise for your generosity but I'm going to give it yet again.  Your offers to play Ballyneal (I'm sorry I cant take advantage this year, btw) and your amazon fund raising are very kind and admirable.

Should Bruce Weber be fired?  Is it just me, or is Bill Self a better recruiter than coach?

I don't think he should get fired, although he may if they have another disappointing season next year.  The question is, if you fire Weber, who are you going after?  I haven't followed it closely enough to know who would be a good and logical fit.  He's no Izzo, but I have no problem w/ Bruce.  I think the issue w/ last year's team was not having that leadership or mentality that you need to bring it for 40 minutes every game, regardless of opponent.  Maybe that's coaching, maybe that's having guys that don't have that in their DNA for whatever reason.

Shane Wright

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 10:55:32 AM »
JC - Bill Self is twice the coach Roy Williams ever dreamt of being.  He had TOO much talent this year.  But his coaching decisions were quality.  At some point, it becomes a players' responsibility to execute. 

By the way, you guys have the best coach in the country bar none.  In my opinion, it isn't even debatable.  And it goes way beyond just the X's and O's.

OK, sorry to get off topic -

Questions for JIM -

1.  When are you making your next trip to GB&I and which country will you choose as well as courses
2.  Would you ever be interested in building your dream golf oasis like a Ballyneal? 
3.  Excluding #16 at Cypress, what are your favorite par 5, 4, and 3 that you have ever played?

Thanks for sharing.

Shane

JC Jones

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »

By the way, you guys have the best coach in the country bar none.  In my opinion, it isn't even debatable.  And it goes way beyond just the X's and O's.

Well, he is no Bo Ryan.... ::) ;D

On a serious note, I wish more MSU fans felt the same way most non-MSU fans feel.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 11:23:22 AM »

Questions for JIM -

1.  When are you making your next trip to GB&I and which country will you choose as well as courses
2.  Would you ever be interested in building your dream golf oasis like a Ballyneal? 
3.  Excluding #16 at Cypress, what are your favorite par 5, 4, and 3 that you have ever played?

Thanks for sharing.

Shane

Hey Shane, we're less than 6 weeks away!

1. I haven't been to Ireland so I would probably go there.  I'd let Jim Tang plan the itinerary as he had a whale of a trip last year.  (check out his http://golfpicoftheweek.blogspot.com). RCD for sure!
2. Always fun to think about, but not going to happen in this lifetime.  I'm happy with Plan B though.  Then again, maybe my upcoming victory in the current Armchair contest (assuming we ever get the results) will propel me into golf-architecture superstardom.
3. Tough question.  I've always liked the 16th hole at Blackwolf Run River.  Par 4 would be the 7th hole at Ballyneal.  Par 3 is another tough one, I think I'll go with the 11th hole at TOC.

Shane Wright

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 11:29:20 AM »

Well, he is no Bo Ryan.... ::) ;D

On a serious note, I wish more MSU fans felt the same way most non-MSU fans feel.

I grew up in Kansas, down  the street from KU, have absolutely no ties to Michigan state and Izzo whatsoever....people who don't appreciate Izzo are smoking the worst drugs money can find.  He is a good as there is, and he has stayed loyal to Michigan State even though a lot more money has been thrown his way.  That is dang near impossible to find these days in college athletics.

Shane Wright

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »
Can't wait Jim...seriously can't wait.

Thanks for the answers and I have see Jim's blog...incredible pictures.  I need to get a better camera and some photography lessons.

George Pazin

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »
Thanks for participating, Jim, and kudos to you and your Pay It Forward experiments.

Where are you headed next?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Colton

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 03:15:12 PM »
Thanks for participating, Jim, and kudos to you and your Pay It Forward experiments.

I only have one new destination on tap for the rest of the year.  The Tang Bros and I are checking out the Prairie Club in mid-June.  I only wish I had enough time and money to take advantage of all the different opportunities, invites and outings that are out there.  Too many courses, too little time.

In July, Matt Schulte and I are launching a 32-man, 16-team bracket-style fourball event at Ballyneal called The Yucca.  Should be a lot of fun.

There's still some room for the little last-minute outing I put together for May 21-23.

Jim

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:17:00 PM by Jim Colton »

John Foley

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 03:51:54 PM »
Being the BBall , did you (assume you did) and do you still lace em up?

BTW - whose the 2nd best player of all time??

On the golf side - Have you done the SCotland / Engalnd Ireland pilgramage yet & what are your thoughts?

What is on your wish list of places to see??
Integrity in the moment of choice

Richard Choi

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 04:06:39 PM »
Can we get some handicapping lines for The Yucca?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 04:16:39 PM »

I only have one new destination on tap for the rest of the year.  The Tang Bros and I are checking out the Prairie Club in mid-June.  I only wish I had enough time and money to take advantage of all the different opportunities, invites and outings that are out there.  Too many courses, too little time.

In July, Matt Schulte and I are launching a 32-man, 16-team bracket-style fourball event at Ballyneal called The Yucca.  Should be a lot of fun.

There's still some room for the little last-minute outing I put together for May 21-23.

Jim

"The Yucca" sounds great.  Hopefully there will be a game or two in June!

Eric Smith

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 04:20:42 PM »
Jim,

Do you ever play glow ball golf at Ballyneal?  I would imagine night golf under a full moon in the chop hills would be unlike any other.  Any critters to worry about out there bigger or badder than the box turtles and rattlesnakes we've seen on gca?

I've read your book so I know you are a big Star Wars fan.  At what age did you first see a SW film and which did you see first?  Your favorite?

I loved participating in the mock draft threads you started as they were a lot of fun.  Can we count on seeing one or both again this winter?  Any plans for something a little different?

Last question: Do we have to pay by CC at Ballyneal???  My wife is going to kill me when she sees how much my weekend in CO is going to cost. Seriously, I'm a dead man.  Can't I just plush you up with a stack of C-notes when I arrive? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back