News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Starting Sat., 5/1 - Get To Know Jim Colton
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »
Jim is another poster I had to coax gently into his time in the hotseat. :) Like many - probably most - of the posters on here, Jim's integrity led him to say no initially, as he didn't want to be seen as attempting to capitalize on the release of his book.

But I explained to him that we are a very trusting bunch on here, so don't prove me wrong!

I know Jim's experiences and ability to tell a tale will result in a terrific thread, please welcome him with questions galore.

Have fun, play nice!

(apologies for the slight overlap with Ryan - I'd like to keep his thread alive as well, he's on the other side of the world, so that is sometimes tricky!)

-----

On Deck: Dale Jackson

5 most recent:

Ryan Farrow

Alex Miller

George Pazin

Jeff Mingay

Joe Bausch

Full list:

GTK participants
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Garland Bayley

Re: Starting Sat., 5/1 - Get To Know Jim Colton
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »
Jim,

Tell us about your book.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
There's one in every crowd... :)

Standard questions:

What brought you to golf?

Golf course architecture?

This website?

Bonus question:

Apologies if you have already discussed this, but have there been any beneficiaries of your Pay It Forward Amazon experiment?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:59:16 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Szabo

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
Paging Mr. Tang, Jim Tang please..... A.k.a. the whipping boy - could definitely add something of interest to the questions!

Serious questions,

Did you get any decent advice from putting your swing online for all the world to critique?

What first brought you to Ballyneal?

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jim Colton

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:42:54 PM »
There's one in every crowd... :)

Standard questions:

This website?

Bonus question:

Apologies if you have already discussed this, but have there been any beneficiaries of your Pay It Forward Amazon experiment?

George,

Thanks for including me.  I apologize in advance for bringing down the average of interesting GTK's you've had so far.

I was introduced to the game through my grandparents, who were both avid golfers.  My grandpa was somebody I looked up to immensely, so I got drawn in through him.  My earliest memory with the game is being about 4-5 years old and my family were heading to a parade of some sort, and for some reason we stopped by the golf course (Potawatomie, a 9-holer in St. Charles, IL) to see my grandparents who were about to tee off.  I took one look at the course and said "screw the parade.  I want to check THIS out." (that's not what I said, but you get my drift).  Thankfully my folks and Nana and Grandpa agreed to let me tag along while the rest of the gang went to the parade.

Baseball was still my main focus growing up, but eventually I made the transition back to golf around 6th grade or so.  My neighbor, older brother and I went to a nearby soccer field/forest preserve and whacked balls around.  I didn't have any lefty clubs at the time, so made due by hitting with the backside of my dad's right-handed mallet putter.  Eventually, my mom caved and bought me some lefty clubs and a giant shag bag of balls from a pawn shop and we had at it.  I feel bad about it now because we delineated the outline of the "greens" on the soccer fields by carving divots around in a big circle.  From there, I was officially hooked.  We played whenever, wherever.  I played on the team in high school and roomed in college at the University of Illinois with a fellow golf addict named Jeff Tang.  We grew up in neighboring, rival towns but crossed paths when we both got summer jobs in high school at a mini-golf course.  The rest is history.

I always doodle golf holes in my notebooks during school.  In college, I'd fool around with the course designer program for Jack Nicklaus golf or whatever it was called, and later the Arnold Palmer designer for Links golf.  I had no idea what I was doing, but it was fun nonetheless.  Most of the golf courses I had played growing up were probably Doak 1's and 2's, but in 1993, as a freshman in college, my grandparents invited us down to their place in Florida for spring break.  The highlight of the trip was this course called World Woods that had just opened about 10 minutes from my grandparents house.  That blew away anything I had ever played previously, and for awhile, I'd go down there at least once a year with my buddies and/or then girlfriend (now wife) and golf our brains out.

After graduating college in '96 and entering the real world, we started branching out our circle of courses further and further, basically playing anywhere that would take us.  Golf Digest's Places to Play was our only real guide.  Late in '96, Jefe and I made the trip up to Kohler to play 36 at Blackwolf Run's two courses.  It was my first introduction to Pete Dye and for a long time the River Course was at the top of my list, as much as Tim Bert likes to give me grief about it today.  If you saw my armchair entry last year, it's not hard to tell how much Petey has influenced my initial thoughts on golf-course architecture.

This website?
I probably stumbled on the site looking at the course profiles of Pine Valley or Sand Hills.  I think I joined in 2003, probably like most newbies really intimidated and reluctant to offer much of anything.  I still feel that way today, but I love the game and hope it shows.

I hope to bring somebody out this year.  I posted this on that thread recently...the direct GCA link has been relatively modest, about $75 total.  I wish I had started it earlier in the holiday season.  But I offered to contribute all of my golf-related revenue to the kitty, which brings the total up to around $600.  One person anonymously offered to donate the cost of a round.  So that gets me close to getting somebody this season.  Hopefully we can expand it in the future.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:46:52 PM by Jim Colton »

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »
Paging Mr. Tang, Jim Tang please..... A.k.a. the whipping boy - could definitely add something of interest to the questions!

Serious questions,

Did you get any decent advice from putting your swing online for all the world to critique?

I did get some advice, mostly from my close circle of friends.  They basically confirmed what I already knew.  I feel good about my game for the first time in a long time, although I haven't had any sessions with my so-called swing guru lately.  We'll see how it goes when I play in 3 weeks!

This thread:  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34884.0/

Recently, folks have been effusive in praise of my generosity. but all I'm really doing is trying to follow in the footsteps of others that have been so gracious to me in the past.  This site and the game of golf in general have brought and meant so much to me, I'm the one who should be thankful.  Just last year, I met probably 5 folks from this site that I would now consider life-long friends.  That's not bad for an eccentric, anti-social finance nerd like me.

Richard Choi

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »
Here is my question:

Fix that nasty hook yet?

Jim Colton

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 06:13:46 PM »
Here is my question:

Fix that nasty hook yet?

Ask me again in three weeks.  Thanks for the swing advice, by the way.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 09:56:14 PM »
George,

Thank you for bringing Jim into the fray. These topics are always insightful and fun. On to the questions:

When did you first fall in the love with the ground game?

Where on the property were you when you realized that Ballyneal was for you?

Is DWill the best point guard ever to come out of the Big 10?

Imagine it's December 2004. What was your favorite course and why?

Do you agree with me that the best hole at Sand Hills is #15, and if not why?

How hard is it to sit out nine holes at Crystal Downs?

That's decent enough for now, I'll be back later.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 10:00:57 PM by Wyatt Halliday »

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 10:20:59 PM »
Here are some for you:

- Why did you opt for a national membership at Ballyneal rather than joining a club near your home in Chicago?

- What are your favorite courses in the 217 area code (asked because my first newspaper job was in mecca of Danville, IL)?

- Your stance on Chief Illiniwek?

- And what prompted the love of fantasy basketball?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »

Especially the front nine?

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »
 8) Jim,

Did I see your picture on the wall at El Pinto in Albuquerque?

Mountian golf or high plains drifter vs great lakes vs sea level, is there really any difference in enjoyment?

p.s. ballyneal was really something special  in those 25-30 mph winds last september, is it more fun when windy or when wind is down..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ed Oden

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »

Not until he wins 5 NBA championships, 3 MVPs, 3 Finals MVPs, makes All-NBA first team 9 times, is named one of the 50 greatest players of all time, becomes a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and one of the most iconic players to ever play the game.

Jim:

What is your favorite tee shot at Ballyneal?  Approach shot?  Green?  Bunker?

What course are you far more impressed with than the average GCAer?

What is your favorite line from "I'm on a Doak"?

Ed

Jim Colton

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 10:29:57 PM »
Wyatt, way to run me through the ringer.

When did you first fall in love with the ground game?

I played the Old Course in 2000, that was the beginning of my enlightenment.

Where on the property were you when you realized that Ballyneal was for you?

Somewhere between the 2nd fairway and 4th tee box.

I dunno, isiah played for iu, right.  Magic Johnson has to be number one.  Deron is the best pg in the league right now. 28/11!!!

Imagine it's December 2004. What was your favorite course and why?

The Old Course. I had no clue what I was doing out there, but I wanted to go straight from the 18th green to the 1st tee to try to figure it out. You could play that course everyday for years and never get bored.

Do you agree with me that the best hole at Sand Hills is #15, and if not why?

Man, I don't even know if there's a best hole at Sand Hills, there are so many good ones. 15 is strong. 1 might have a slight edge.

Wasn't hard at all, I enjoyed playing forecaddie to Brad's duffer drives and watching you guys get schooled by the greens. That and Sims and I had his back injury planned well in advance. Man, was our host gullible. :)

Jeff Tang

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »
WELL, well, well, let's see....

How did it happen that you travel all the way from Chicago to the Monterey Peninsula to play Cypress Point for possibly the only time in your life and somehow leave about a 50 yard gap in your bag from a three iron to a driver knowing that you'll be playing arguably the most famous par three in the world and come to the 16th tee without the right club in your bag requiring you to "smooth" a driver towards the green only to have the ball duck into the rocks and ocean a la the famous "shot tracker" image now posted prominently on your blog?

Why did Ballyneal change their bacon and will they be reverting back to Ballyneal bacon circa 2008 in 2010?

Will there be a sequel to One Divot at a Time?

So bad it's good!

Jim Colton

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »
Here are some for you:

- Why did you opt for a national membership at Ballyneal rather than joining a club near your home in Chicago?

- What are your favorite courses in the 217 area code (asked because my first newspaper job was in mecca of Danville, IL)?

- Your stance on Chief Illiniwek?

- And what prompted the love of fantasy basketball?

1.  I don't know if any clubs around here would have me. Plus,when I'm at home I'm either working or spending time with my three kids. If I had free access at a club close to home, I'd probably lose my job and my marriage. I couldn't stop myself from playing. Ballyneal is perfect for me and where I'm at right now. Three or four long weekends a year, just enough to get a fix, recharge the batteries and get back at it. I'm can leave my house and be on the first tee at 10:45 am, play 45-54-45 in a 3-day weekend. Plus, it's Bally-freakin'-Neal. Chicago Golf is about five minutes from my house but I wouldn't trade BN for it or any other club in the world.

2.  I always thought it was done with reverence and respect. What's cool now is during the basketball games at halftime, they still do the same routine and the fans just do all the same claps, motion and singing as if he never left.

3.  I really enjoy NBA hoops and fantasy basketball is the most numbers based of the major sports. Easy money for someone like me. But I had to give it up this year, too time consuming.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:19:12 PM by Jim Colton »

Tony Weiler

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 11:09:40 PM »
Jim, excluding BN, one course for life?

Jim Colton

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 11:15:21 PM »
8) Jim,

Did I see your picture on the wall at El Pinto in Albuquerque?

Mountian golf or high plains drifter vs great lakes vs sea level, is there really any difference in enjoyment?

p.s. ballyneal was really something special  in those 25-30 mph winds last september, is it more fun when windy or when wind is down..

1. I don't think so. For some reason, I get a lot of "are you that guy?" type questions. For awhile, I couldn't go to the mall without someone asking me "do you have this in XL?". I guess I have a face for retail.

2. as long as you're playing golf with good friends, golf anywhere is enjoyable.

3. I like it when the wind is up

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 11:35:40 PM »
You never answered the question of your favorite courses in the 217.

Jim Colton

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 11:50:09 PM »

Not until he wins 5 NBA championships, 3 MVPs, 3 Finals MVPs, makes All-NBA first team 9 times, is named one of the 50 greatest players of all time, becomes a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and one of the most iconic players to ever play the game.

Jim:

What is your favorite tee shot at Ballyneal?  Approach shot?  Green?  Bunker?

What course are you far more impressed with than the average GCAer?

What is your favorite line from "I'm on a Doak"?

Ed

1. Tee shot: 7,10,12. Approach: 6, 10, 17. Green: 7. Bunker: never been in any, but I like the pot bunkers on 5 & 18. The upside down bunker on 13 is cool, although I've never seen anybody in it.

2.  Probably Blackwolf Run River.  Or Ballyneal.

3. Lots of worthy choices, but hard to top "sees greensites like Neo"
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:20:39 PM by Jim Colton »

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 11:50:46 PM »

This.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Colton

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 11:57:40 PM »
WELL, well, well, let's see....

How did it happen that you travel all the way from Chicago to the Monterey Peninsula to play Cypress Point for possibly the only time in your life and somehow leave about a 50 yard gap in your bag from a three iron to a driver knowing that you'll be playing arguably the most famous par three in the world and come to the 16th tee without the right club in your bag requiring you to "smooth" a driver towards the green only to have the ball duck into the rocks and ocean a la the famous "shot tracker" image now posted prominently on your blog?

Why did Ballyneal change their bacon and will they be reverting back to Ballyneal bacon circa 2008 in 2010?

Will there be a sequel to One Divot at a Time?

1. I honestly had no idea how all or nothing that tee shot was. I figured I could carve a 3-iron in there. Question for you:  why didn't you offer any advice when we hit the range the previous weekend when I said I was auditioning clubs for that specific shot?

2. They only bring the good bacon out for Wyatt.

3.  Well, I think I have a good Chapter One for Volume 2. I want to move to Australia so when I turn forty in four years we can go on a "Pallier". Are you in?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:15:00 AM by Jim Colton »

Jim Colton

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 11:59:07 PM »
Jim, excluding BN, one course for life?

I played one in March in California that wouldn't be a bad choice.

Jim Colton

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 12:02:47 AM »
You never answered the question of your favorite courses in the 217.

Probably not the Orange and Blue. The only other course I played was Lake in the Woods nearby.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:21:34 PM by Jim Colton »

Chris Flamion

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 12:08:16 AM »
Have you ever taken advantage of the hunting at Ballyneal?

As someone who does a lot of work with numbers how covered is your scorecard?

Do you ever play golf in Chicagoland?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back